Swissotel Grand Shanghai
Ranked #107 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 November 2012

The hotel is in an excellent location close to the subway (so you can take the subway from or to the airport if you like) and walking distance to e.g. American Chamber of Commerce, various consulates as well as shopping on Nanjing Road. I got the offer to upgrade to a room on the club floor at a very reasonable rate and decided to go for that. Room was large with great desk area. Bathroom hat tub as well as shower. Great amenities. Ironing board and iron. Breakfast as well as happy hour buffet in the club lounge is excellent. The staff is very friendly and speaks good English. Will definitely stay there again.

2  Thank ab1966
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night during my recent business trip. After a late flight from Hong Kong to the Pudong Airport, I was ready to check in the hotel and get some relax. The hotel is centrally located in business district of Shanghai, within walking distance to major exhibition and event venues. I ordered room service late into the night and the food was still well prepared. Overall, I am very satisfied with the services, the room and its amenities. Given that it's not pricier than other 5-star hotels in the neighborhood, I would definitely return to this hotel in the near future!

1  Thank Antony_Yiu
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Very good location close to most things and of course the subway. I have only two concerns with this hotel. The first night we arrived from the airport we were all tired so we thought we would try the buffet restaurant. when we arrived we were advised as it was a public holiday the full services was not available, but there would be something to eat. Big mistake, the choice was poor as well as the quality. What made matters worse they charged full price around $200.00 for the four of us. As a result of this we never ate dinner again in the hotel. We stayed there for a week, so we got to know the local eateries well. We found around the corner a subway which had a fantastic food court with every taste catered for at around $30.00 for the four of us. So keep an eye out for the train station sign around the back of the hotel. Also there five very good restaurants at the side of the hotel. Second the shower door in the room never closed properly so every day we had a mini flood which used up all the towels. Reported it but nothing was done. My boys rooms were fine though. So, for a five star hotel it was OK. Would I stay there again, not sure, it was a lot of money for what we experienced, so I think I'd look around before I did.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank RugbyfanCanberra
Reviewed 20 November 2012

the hotel is in the central location, near to almost everything - malls, restaurants, offices.
room is comfortable and very spacious.
staff are accommodating, however it could help a lot if they are fluent in english.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

We are happy to know your enjoyment during your stay with us. Training is our on-going effort to make our guests happy.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Great Location, comfortable rooms , good breakfast. The buffet dinner restaurant is average, but acceptable.
Tip - if travelling without a guide, get the hotel address written on to a piece of paper in chinese.
Most taxi drivers from the airport it seems do not know where this hotel is located. The hotel could help by printing their address in Chinese on their confirmations.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

It's great to have you back with us after your last visit in May and thank you for your sharing and suggestion again.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The hotel is at a nice central location, close to the tube and all the centre hotspots.

The rooms (standard) are very nice. I was on the 20th floor and had great views. No traffic sounds at all, but as I was close to the elevator I could hear the elevator bell quite good. Might be good to ask for some distance to the elevator.

As always, I find the hotel air con settings too high, so I switched the whole system off for all 5 nights. Room temperature is fine then, you don't need the air con at all. The bed was very nice - I like the mattress to be firm - and had a good size. The hotel offers a pillow menu if you like a different style.

Funny was that the bathroom included the toilet, but that it has only a sliding door which does not close completely. That means if you have guests in the room you could actually see and certainly hear them. That needs to be improved.

Per day I got 4 complementary bottles of water in the room, and there is complementary coffee and tea. That is more than enough.

Room service was good and fast enough (25-30 minutes). The selection was about 8 pages of choices which is more than sufficient. If you like more options, I suggest any restaurant over in room dinning.

Breakfast is a joy - there is a wide selection of choice, catering both western and Chinese breakfast. All very tasty and you will not encounter any empty trays, they are constantly refilling.

The price was very fair and cheaper than comparable hotels in Europe. Internet is free through the hotel. I paid in total 8000 RMB (1000 €) for 5 nights including breakfast, minibar, 2 restaurant bills and 2 times room service.

Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Their English is sometimes a bit difficult to understand, but it sure beats my Chinese ;). At least all staff makes an effort to be as service oriented as possible.

I enjoyed the stay and I will be back next time when in Shanghai.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

We do appreciate your time and share with us your stay in details. It's our pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with Swissôtel, and we will continue our focus on team members' training. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

This is a lovely hotel, ideally located for easy access to the subway and several shopping areas. The staff were friendly but English was truly limited at the desk and restaurant. Asking for a tea pot for the room took 4 attempts but they smiled each time they brought various items. Getting over jet lag was tricky as they knocked on the door to clean the room rather relentlessly. The beds were solid, solid as a rock and the mini bar turns off when you leave so don't put anything in it which you want to keep fresh.
**that said, it is better than any UK hotel I have stayed in, the shower was excellent, the sheets were soft, the toiletries good and the little box of useful toiletry accessories were very handy**

Room Tip: Double check whether breakfast is included as adding anything is expensive.