“Excellent breakfast”

Swissotel Grand Shanghai
Ranked #107 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good position.
Nice lobby, kind hostess and quick operations at the reception.
Room very silent and well equipped.
Excellent western breakfast, best ever had in Shanghai since 2007.
Price as expected.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cicciazzi
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Cicciazzi

Thank you for sharing your great experience for your stay with Swissôtel Grand Shanghai and taking your time to submit your reviews on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to know that you think we serve the best hotel breakfast in Shanghai – the selection is very broad and caters for all tastes. The location of the hotel is ideal for people wishing to move around the city, and we are delighted to know that you found our rooms and service to be exactly as you needed.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Grand Shanghai in the near future, we hope to see you again soon.

PR & Communications Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed here our first night in Shanghai. It is centrally located with lots of things around. We had a friend pick us up and take us to the hotel directly. It was late when we got there so check in was quite easy as the hotel was not busy. we had a quick check in and went right up to our room.

the room was very clean and spacious. the only real downside is that the beds were VERY hard. not sure if this is customary in china though.

checkout went very smoothly and the concierge held our bags until we were ready to leave for the rest of our adventure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ravenstar27,

Spring greetings from Shanghai!
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit this positive review for us on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to know you have enjoyed our comfortable bedrooms, room facilities and great service from our concierge; on behalf of our team here at the hotel, thank you for your compliments.

Regarding the comments on the beds specifically, they are firm mattresses – I am sorry that they were not as comfortable to you as you had hoped.

We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and showing you our warm hospitality once again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and have some mixed feelings about the hotel. The check in was OK and i kept requesting the front office lady to give me room in the front as i will be staying for 4 days and i could enjoy the view, but she bluntly gave me the room at the back of the building which was horrible and depressing. Oh the breakfast u go to the restaurant they will greet you properly make you sit and then one guy would come and say the breakfast is about to get over in 15 minutes, then after 5 minutes one more guy will come with the same advice and the same is repeated 3 times i felt so bad that i hated to have breakfast there. Moreover the spread and the quality is also not at par the standards it should have been. The in room help desk is fast and quick they cater to all your needs in seconds and have always been helpful. The infrastructure is nice which is only helping the hotel to gain good market share along with the location. The housekeeping was also efficient and have no complains about that. they can do good if they take care small gestures if taken care properly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear akshaygrover

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on your most recent stay with us at Swissôtel GRAND Shanghai. Thank you for your positive comments on the hotel, noting location, Swiss Service (in-room help desk) and our housekeeping. I am, though, more focused on your unsatisfactory experiences which is certainly not what we wish for our guests to experience when staying in our hotel.

Regarding the bedroom allocation, the request for front views is always subject to availability. Upon your check-in, there is a great possibility that due to the hotels high occupancy (March is an incredibly busy month for our hotel), that we were not able to accommodate your request (although this should have been explained to you upon your request). We do our very best to accommodate all our guests special requests, as long as we have the opportunity to do so.

Our breakfast offering is well-enjoyed by most of guests, and there is a wide variety of dishes to enjoy, however it seems your experience was not so. For us to get a clear indication on exactly what went wrong, please contact our Food and Beverage Director, Tim Heinrichson at tim.heinrichson@swissotel.com, so that we may learn from this and action accordingly. Our breakfast buffet closes at 10.30am each day, and we of course need to advise our guests before clearing the buffet, but if it was done in a way that was not welcomed, our sincerest apologies.

Akshaygrover, we do hope that your next trip to Shanghai will bring you back to Swissôtel, and that we may have another opportunity to show to you our service, care and attention and regain your faith in our hotel.

Our best wishes

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Front Desk: Rude and condescending, completely unhelpful with anything you ask.
Conceirge: Rude, and give you wrong information, I called them to ask to make a reservation at a restaurant down the street and also asked them to check that it was open, they assured me I would not need a reservation and that it was open. Walked to it and found it to be closed and then we were in an area with nothing else open and had to walk another 35 minutes to find a restaurant that was open that we wanted to eat at.
Breakfast: So gross old juice no fresh, coffee taste like burnt ash tray, the smell of the food going bad on the buffet is gross, and they pump some weird incense smell into the lobby infront of the restaurant which immediately kills any craving for food you have because you walk in.
Facilities: Gym is okay not cleaned well, pool is okay but when you shower the Ayi's watch you and steal your towels and there is only one station to use a hair dryer so if there is more than one women at a time which there always is you are forced to leave soaking wet.
Rooms: no view asked several time to be moved to any other available room but stared at a concrete block wall for 18 days, house keeping would often not show up and clean at all, I would have to call down to say i'm leaving and I expect the room clean. The beds are impossibly hard like a box spring had to ask for 3 duvets to be put under the sheet just to feel as soft as a carpeted floor.

Room Tip: Try to find any other hotel in the area, the area is awesome, this hotel is far from it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JessicaShang
HotelManager-SSH, Executive Assistant Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear JessicaShang

Firstly we are deeply disappointed to read of your most recent experience here at Swissôtel GRAND Shanghai. The comments and feedback is extremely negative and is certainly not what we aim to have our guests experience here at our hotel. I would be greatly appreciative if you would either contact me at jammy.zhang@swissotel.com or, as I am aware you now live in Shanghai, please call me in the hotel on +86 (21) 5355 9898 so that we can arrange a suitable time for us to get together and review your experience. We hope that we can have the opportunity to rebuild your confidence in our hotel again and, should the opportunity arise, welcome you back to the hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Jammy Zhang
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I used to work for Swissotel in China years ago and had not visited the Shanghai property in a few years, so figured I'd give the hotel a shot when I went up on business last month. The experience overall was quite good, however the service recovery is lacking. Below is an email I sent to them 2 weeks ago while I was there - no one responded in person while I was a guest and no one has followed up since.

Having been a Swissotel employee (Beijing 13 years ago), I would like to bring a few points to your attention:

- lobby lounge attendant (11h45) very helpful and discreet. I was finishing a call when I arrived and she quietly got me wifi access and a seat.
- check-in smiling, informative, efficient and an upgrade. Fantastic. Unfortunately that's where the good part stops.

- in-room phone has so much static I can barely comprehend the person I'm speaking to
- came out for a taxi and was pleasantly ignored by 5 or 6 staff who were fussing around 2 taxis and some VIP departure (14h05).
- finally had a a cab called, bellboy sent the taxi to the wrong place (wrong part of town) despite me showing him the address in Chinese.

A few easy fixes to ensure your future guests have a better experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Director of Sales at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Grojon

Thank you for your feedback – and a warm welcome back to Swissôtel. I am sorry that you recently experienced some service issues here at the hotel, as well as receiving no feedback on your note you submitted to our hotel. Please feel free to email me at tate.husband@swissotel.com the original note so that I may follow up with the intended recipient, as well as on your challenges on the in-room telephone, so that we may pinpoint your room and make any changes to the faulty device before any other guest experiences this too.

The points you noted in your feedback have now been shared with our teams for review so that they can focus on making sure these issues do not happen again and I am very sorry for the inconvenience in terms of your taxi experience. I always suggest to guests that they get the destination written in Chinese by our concierge team before leaving the hotel, and show it to the driver as well, just to avoid any confusion.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit this feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Shanghai.

Best wishes
Tate Husband
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just a short stay to work there. It's quite central to everything. It's not too crowded, unlike the area w/ lots of shops near West Nanjing Road within 10 minutes walk, but nearby a Japanese shopping center with full range of good restaurants at top floors and quality necessities and produces at its basement supermarket. It's close to subways, which is a good alternative to taxis in rush hours.

The room is well equipped, but would be great it came with some USB charger plugs. WIFI access is fluctuating: during my stay the lobby WIFI failed. And if you walk around the room - your devices would've lost connection to one router and be connected to another one - rather frustrating experience.

Morning check out time can be very busy that I happened to bump into a group of flight attendants checking in - bad luck.

The price isn't cheap but you are guaranteed to have a good standard of living in Shanghai.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Excellent hotel well positioned for "doing" Shanghai, next to the subway on Line 2 making it easy to get around the City, although cabs are reasonably priced. This hotel has great facilities and a very attentive staff, I needed to have my air conditioning adjusted and this was done in 10 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear AlanFSEly,

Spring greetings from Swissôtel GRAND Shanghai!
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit this review for us on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to hear you have enjoyed our comfortable room, facilities and also highlighting our great location which can provide you convenient access to metro lines 2 & 7 and other parts of the city by foot. Let me, on behalf of our team members, thank you for your compliments – always a delight to read..

Thank you for staying with us at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai and we look forward to see you again soon.