“Surprisingly pleasant..”

Ranked #51 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Hillingdon
“Surprisingly pleasant..”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had never stayed at a Swissotel before and only chose it as it was convienent to my office in Shanghai. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very well maintained, good size rooms with great facilities. All round very positive experience, I would definitely stay Swissotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Kirstie Helen M,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai. While I am thrilled to read that you really like our guest room as well as facilities. Our hotel does boast the prime location which offers convenience for business customers.
We are glad to hear that you will come back; we will definitely do our best to ensure you a comfortable stay as well. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Swissôtel Grand Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Swissotel Grand for business in May and June and I was so disappointed with the service level of the staff of this hotel.

The first time I was staying on 15th floor - room size was okay but the amenities in the bathroom was bad with local branded toothpaste and scratchy towels.

The second time I was staying on 23rd floor - given I filed a complaint to the management team further to my first stay and I got an upgrade, room this time was okay with nespresso machine in the room, colgate toothpaste and softer towels.

What I didn't like about this hotel was mainly the service delivered by their staff, especially those at the front desk and in the cafe. Avoid going to the cafe for breakfast between 7.30am and 9am - the hotel didn't have bandwidth to serve the guests and had the tables turnaround. Every morning I needed to ask 3 different staff members to just give me a cup of coffee, many of the guests needed to wait for tables to be turned around while holding a plate loaded with food with them.

I would have stayed at the Four Seasons on Wei Hai Road if Swissotel was not the appointed corporate hotel for my company.

Room Tip: - Avoid rooms close to the lift lobby, soundproof in hotel rooms is horrible where you can listen to...
1 Thank pandasasa
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear pandasasa

Please accept our most sincere apologies for your most recent stay! We were totally saddened to learn of your experiences during your recent time with us and all your feedback has been shared with our various departments to learn and understand what went wrong.

We would like to assure you that we are committed to ensuring that all our guests are comfortable and happy during their stay with us, and I would therefore appreciate if you would allow me to connect with you so that we can try to make amends in the hope that you will indeed wish to come back to stay at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai in the not too distant future, and thereby allowing us the opportunity to demonstrate our true hospitality. With this in mind, could you contact me at Jammy.zhang@swissotel.com when it is convenient to you.

As a regular traveler to Shanghai, we of course wish for you to return with more excitement than disappointment as your appointed corporate hotel for your company, and would like to work a way to be able to rebuild your faith in us as your preferred hotel in Shanghai.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jammy Zhang
Executive Assistant Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is ok, the room was nice especially the bathroom, unfortunately though here were a few negatives which might make me reluctant to return next time I'm in the city, firstly the A/C is terrible, the room doesnt cool down sufficiently and when on auto mode it turns off and on again intermittently, when it turns on in the middle of the night it wakes you up! The only alternative was to have it on fan mode only. The room service was fairly good. I found the lifts though there are sux of them, are badly programmed so at busy times it could take 10-15mins to get downstairs since they would stop at virtually every floor, why didnt multiple lifts come? Annoying in the morning when trying to get to work! Overall an ok stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank katieannsenior
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear katieannsenior

Thank you very much for your feedback on your most recent stay with us here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai. While I am thrilled to read that you really liked our bedrooms, highlighting our bathrooms, I am sorry to read of your issues with the air conditioning. Auto Mode does turn on and off again, when set like this as it is working to maintain the room temperature that is requested. When setting the air conditioning to low/medium fan at constant, the air flows normally and quietly. However is this is not the case, please always feel free to connect with our Swiss Service team, where we can arrange for an engineer to come to your room and adjust it accordingly.

Due to the popularity of our hotel, we can experience high volume of traffic (especially mornings from 7.30am till around 9am) when guests are leaving the hotel. As you noted we do have 6 elevators which services our 467 bedrooms, which is usually suffice for this volume of rooms in a hotel, however I am very sorry for the delay in getting you down to the 1st floor.

We do hope that you will return to our hotel on your next venture to Shanghai – it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Kind regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I brought our 1 year-old daughter to Shanghai for a 5 day vacation and chose to stay at the Swissotel Grand, mostly for its central location. When we visited Shanghai back in October we opted for a less expensive hotel, the Putuo Modena but then found the neighborhood to be less developed and offered a limited selection of restaurants. Surprisingly for not a lot more, the Swissotel Grand presented itself to be the most value for money. While the name boasts "grandness", there was nothing about our experience that screamed luxury. To be fair it is a business hotel that is positioned to serve efficiently and professionally. The lobby is decently sized with only two on duty to receive guests. So from that point onward we didn't expect anything out of the ordinary. That said, the continental breakfast failed to impress. Basically we ate the same foods for four consecutive mornings.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guruojgu

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your most recent feedback on Trip Advisor, and giving us your feedback on your stay. We are thrilled that you opted for our hotel for you and your family on your trip to Shanghai – yes our location is great and is a popular choice for many travelers to Shanghai. Whilst much of our business is corporate (as you noted), we play home to many leisure travelers coming to Shanghai enjoying our facilities, Spa, Pool and dining options as well as the prime location in the city. I am sorry to hear that our buffet breakfast didn't live up to your expectations. We offer a very large selection of local and international foods for all our guests – certainly one of the larger buffet choices in Shanghai. As far as breakfast goes, we aim to offer as much as possible, however if there was something that we were missing, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Northeast USE
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at the Swissotel Grand for a business conference for 6 days. Room was fine; clean, reasonably comfortable bed. Air conditioning (necessary at all times to somewhat filter the humid, horrid air) was noisy and intermittent. Towels thin and scratchy - they need to learn about fabric softener! The problem is not in the rooms, but in the general service. Food in the buffet restaurant is left out far too long to pass any normal food safety laws.

On the business side, I was there to run a conference for a US-based company. The pre-event planning was difficult due to a change in staff. Normal, but challenging, nonetheless. Onsite, the banquet staff was terrible. Up to five people could be standing around at any given time, doing nothing. Food was left out for hours and the busing of glasses and plates was almost non-existent. It was odd, but I noticed that there wasn't a single female banquet staffer, at least not on our event. Not sure if this is a cultural thing, or just a coincidence.

I think that as a tourist hotel, the Swissotel is probably fine. The accommodations are reasonably priced and from what I understand, well located. I only ventured out once, but the poor air quality, over crowded sidewalks and insane drivers (really, Massachusetts has nothing on Shanghai!) kept me indoors. For business travel/conferences, find another location.

Room Tip: Try to get on business/concierge level so that you can avail yourself of the free beverages and snac...
Dear MissAdventure11

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your last stay with us at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai. While we are happy that you found our rooms to be comfortable, we are sorry to hear of the problem you experienced with the air conditioning. You are right that the air-conditioning is needed at all times to help with the air quality we can experience here in Shanghai, and had there been any issues and this had been reported to our Swiss Service team, I am sure that we would have been able to fix this for you.

In reference to your feedback on our food in our restaurant, I have passed these comments back to our kitchen, but I would like to assure you that we take food hygiene and food safety extremely serious and would certainly not allow any breaches in this. Our buffet’s are set up for each meal period with fresh items every time and is constantly monitored by our team of chefs in Cafe Swiss.

I am sorry to hear of your challenges in terms of your running of your event. We have a dedicated Manager per conference in the hotel and our Conference Sales Managers handling each event do also visit the organizers each day to follow up on the progress of the meeting. Please feel free to connect directly with our Director of Conference and Banquet Sales, Mr. Dennis Shi on dennis.shi@swissotel.com, for further feedback on your event.

Swissôtel Grand Shanghai has an excellent mix of business, and due to our location, we support many corporate accounts in the area. You are right – we are extremely well-priced for the prime location of the hotel. I am sorry that you experienced this great city at a time of rather poor air-quality – I am sure that had you had more time to explore the local area, you would have been pleasantly surprised exactly how well located we are. As a very popular 5 star international business hotel in the perfect location in Jing’ An District, we do hope to be able to welcome you back again should you find yourself in Shanghai in the future.

Kingsgrove
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was very pleased to call the Swissotel Grand Shanghai home during my recent stay in Shanghai. The hotel is warm and inviting. The hotels location makes it a great place to launch out from when visiting clients and suppliers as it is close to local public transport and motorway on ramps. It is a very quite hotel with great restaurants when you need to entertain clients or just want to relax.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Todd P
Dear Todd P,

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor – we are delighted to read of your very complimentary feedback on our hotel. Our location is certainly one of the key features of the property as it can give all our guests, whether here for business or pleasure, the ease of accessibility to get around the city.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future, to play “home” to you once again.

Split,Croatia
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I just completed my one night stay in executive suite. I decided to go for large room as others are all fairly small at 35 sq. meters. It really is huge jump from 35 to 105!
Check in was done relatively easy and fast as there were only two clerks at the desk. Same goes for check out but the que was longer.
Hotel is in prime location, although away from Bund. Shops, restaurants, bars, galleries, historical sites all abund.
Suite was very clean, very spacious, with 3 TV sets showing all sort of Chinese and international channels. Wireless service is good.
Being in China one can't fail to notice lack of personal involvement of employees. Rarely guest will be greeted or smiled upon. I guess there remains a fierce battle for Chinese hospitality industry to properly educate employees. That said, I had positive experience in the Executive lounge where two personnel did unobtrusive but efficient job.
I will think twice before considering this venue for my next visit.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear openseas

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor – and for a positive review on your stay.

We are delighted to read that you booked an Executive Suite – not only does it afford you great space in the hotel but access to our fabulous Executive Club Lounge. For future reference all guests that are booking and staying on the Club Floor can have the luxury of checking in and out in the club lounge to avoid any queues in Reception.

Our location is seen to be excellent in Shanghai, however as such a large city as Shanghai is, location is subjective to what our guests wish to see. Our location in Nanjing Road, next to Jing An Temple is seen to be an excellent location. However if you wish to be on the Bund, we may not be your 1st choice.

We are saddened to read of your experience of personal involvement with our team members (and your general comments of China employees), however your comments of your positive experience with our Executive Club Lounge colleagues – they are great!

I feel that with your positive experience in our hotel, I was surprised to read of your hesitance in considering us for your next stay. We do hope that you will return to our hotel as our guest in the near future.

Yours sincerely