“Great service and rooms”

Swissotel Grand Shanghai
Ranked #51 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Asheville NC
“Great service and rooms”
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Excellent hotel. Breakfast buffet very good if you get it included in room price. Dinner buffet is mediocre and overpriced.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Like many other reviewers of this hotel, I was truly shocked by how terrible the service is at Swissotel Grand Shanghai.

With few exceptions, the staff were not just vacant and impolite but they were RUDE!

I would never return to this hotel and I would discourage anything thinking of staying here to avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank HK79
usa
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Stayed 2 nights as part of business trip stopping in Shanghai. Highlights:
*great location in Jing'an district nearby restaurants, bars, nightlife; Jing'an temple worth visit
*excellent service throughout; high kudos to friendly, helpful exceptionally fluent concierge desk
*room was clean and modern; assume norm of Swisshotel brand so will try again elsewhere
*free fitness room featured modern high-end equipment and offered great sauna, steam, multi-pool area which was especially helpful to me to relieve stress of business traveling
*nice lobby lounge/bar with live piano music and attractive scene; bit pricey tho
*great value versus 4-star prices I had checked last-minute; perhaps Expo biased rates
Will definitely put high on my list of future stays in Shanghai; highly recommend

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My wife and I spent two nights at this hotel and overall had a positive experience until the last meal, which was a buffet dinner. We took our seats around 9:30 PM, about an hour before the buffet closed, but it seemed as if everyone had stopped working quite some time ago.

We were the only two people there. The waiters were standing in a big bunch talking together about twenty feet away. No one came to ask for our drink orders, so I had to approach them myself. Our wine arrived about 30 minutes later...

The food was a mix of Indian and (I would assume) very traditional Chinese (ie: a giant, 10 pound bowel of chicken hearts?!). My wife and I love Indian food, so we were quite excited. However, the naan was stone hard and the rice looked like it had either been cooked for a grand total of 23 seconds or had been left out for several days - it was very hard. Needless to say, my first plate was finished after the first bite.

I tried a Chinese Dumpling and inexplicably found it to be cold (and tasteless). I saw someone placing a couple pizzas in the oven and waited eagerly. I came back a little while later to see they had been removed from the oven and were resting on a back counter (behind the buffet) and a few slices had been taken. We were the only guests and WE didn't eat the pizza, so I'm pretty sure the cooks did (or maybe it went to room service...). Anyways, they never put the pizza up for us to try.

The most ridiculous thing (other than the giant bowl of chicken hearts) was that the waiters never came and cleared a single plate from our table during the buffet. So we ended the meal with about 10 mostly full plates crammed around our small two person table. I guess they thought we wanted to collect ALL of our food before pouncing on it in a feeding frenzy.

And oh yeah, we definitely got sick after this meal. Both of us had severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea the next day for about 12 hours. Unfortunately we were on a airplane during most of that time.

I don't know, maybe someone just got lazy in the kitchen that day, but the service was pretty lousy. The rest of the hotal was great, but if you go, have a look at the food in the buffet before you take you decide to take a seat!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msweeney321
Venezuela
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I had make a booking throught AGODA (prepaid reservation), for a 1 night stay at the Swissotel Shanghai, last October, and when I arrived at 10 pm to checjk in they told me there were no rooms available, that because of the World expo all rooms were full. They send me to another hotel that same night, but I was very tired after a long trip, at the last thing I expected was to be bumped like this even having prepaid the room in advance. So what good a is 5 star Hotel if they do not respect the guests reservations ?

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank viptravel52
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Just completed a 3 night stay at the Swissotel. We thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the experience. I was able after negotiation to get booked into the executive suite area that afforded many amenities that don't come standard but are well worth it if they are offering it at a discount. Always ask! The location of the hotel is ideal for ease of operation on the metro, it is 200 yds from the #2 Line which offers accessibility to the entire metro. it is also adjoined to the Airline Bus Terminal which makes that commute very ideal. Its a direct shot from the Airport to the terminal in less than a hour even at rush hour. The staff were excellent, professional and catered to our every whim, the room was very well appointed and the perks of the executive club were well worth the price!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AKgoatroper
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The swissotel is amazing. The decor and architecture is beautiful. When I got into my room all I could say is "Wow", this is my room? Words can't describe it, you just have to see it for yourself. The staff was very nice and helpful. The food in the dining room was fantastic. The only thing I didn't like in the dining room was the smoking. I guess I'm not used to smelling smoke in buildings anymore.

• Stayed September 2010