“Also known as Tongji Guest House”

Tongji Reception House
Tongji Reception House
Ranked #2,336 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Columbia, South Carolina
“Also known as Tongji Guest House”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed for three nights at the end of a ten day business trip. The room furnishings were adequate, even a little spartan, but the wired internet connection was free and fast (once I got the connection protocol sorted out). There is not really a place to keep clothes, and the safe was difficult to figure out. The highlights are the bathroom (the walk in shower was fantastic) and the air conditioning, which can cool the room to freezer-like temperatures. The bed was comfortable, minimal noise from other room and outside, so I slept great. I stayed in the main building, so I don't know if the other buildings are different. The breakfast buffet was rather limited in its selections, BUT they had a chef on hand to cook eggs to order! An omelet isn't quite what we think it is, but I appreciated the effort nonetheless. Coffee was good, too. Servicing of the room was minimal - basically pulled up the bed cover and put in a clean towel.
I think the value was pretty good for what you get - about $80-$90 per night for an executive king in Shanghai sounds like a deal to me. I saw mostly westerners staying here (lots of US exchange students and German tourists) as well as Chinese businessmen. I will definitely consider this place for my family if we go to Shanghai for vacation.

Room Tip: Recommend a room in the main building - not sure if there are other buildings with rooms or their qu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have stayed here several times for Tongji University programs. The rooms have been remodeled in the last year or so, and are OK. The beds are excellent (after our last stay, we decided we needed to get a new mattress in the US to be as comfortable). Free internet speed is good. The Chinese alternatives for the breakfast are excellent, the Western ones are so-so. The staff's grasp of English varies, but is pretty basic (disclaimer, I speak Chinese, so I didn't need to rely on it).

This area is not close to downtown Shanghai, so it is best for those who have business with Tongji or Fudan Universities or in the Wujiao Chang area. There are a lot of good cheap student-oriented restaurants near here. OTOH, there is a line 10 subway stop a few hundred meters away with good connections for downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business