“Excellent once again”

Ranked #121 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Perth Australia
“Excellent once again”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel by myself many times during business trips to Shanghai however this was the first time my family travelled to Shanghai with me for vacation. Booking connecting rooms to suit my family of 5 was made easy thanks to Dexter and Chris, upgraded both rooms to Club level. Thank you to Dexter for helping ensure a smooth check in at our next Crowne Plaza hotel in Beijing was greatly appreciated.
Overall service from Check in to Check out was excellent and exactly what i remember from previous experience at this hotel even during a very busy period withe Shanghai Auto show on during that week.
Club level rooms are great, internet was good and are bathrooms clean and tidy.
The service from Diedrick and Margaret at the Club lounge was excellent, always a friendly smile and greeting anytime of the day or even late at night, they both deserve special praise.
The indoor pool and fitness centre are excellent and great to way to work out and relax after a long day of walking.
If you don't want to be in on the Puxi side of the river this is a great area to be and a great hotel,
close enough to the majority of places to see in Pudong by taxi and a easy walk to Thumb Plaza for shopping or for food with many resturants to choose from.
Taxis are cheap in Shanghai so its not very expensive to travel to the Bund area from this hotel by taxi either.
i would definitely recommend this hotel and i will be back again soon

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear Paul B,

Thank you for the very nice review and your comments for Dexter and Chris our Director of Rooms and FO staff will be shared with him and FO team. It is nice to know that the efforts of our people are being noticed.

We look forward to welcome you again in the future!

Marcom Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 5 times I think. My experiences each time are quite similar. I have been a platinum rewards member for seven years, so when I travel globally, I always look for Crowne Plaza.

I don't normally write reviews, but on this trip I received extra care that made this trip standout. As another reviewer indicates, if you go during the Spring, it is a transition from the "cold" season to the "hot" season and the air conditioner doesn't work well (or at all). After a few days of being uncomfortable, I spoke with the guest relations manager on-shift, Michael Yu. Michael was very helpful. He came up to my room to confirm all of the AC settings were appropriate. He then arranged for a personal air cooler to be brought to my room. I was able to keep this air cooler for the duration of my stay and he even had some ice-cold refreshments brought to my room for the inconvenience.

The service here is excellent and if you need something, you should never hesitate to ask. They will always go out of their way to accommodate your desire.

The breakfast at this hotel is fantastic. The menu prices for lunch are not great and I am not a huge fan of their dinner menu. With Thumb plaza and so many other great restaurants near-by, not to mention the low-price of taxis, you should probably get out of the hotel for dinner anyway.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Eric F,

Thank you for the very nice review and your comments for Michael Yu our Guest Service Manager will be shared with him and FO team. It is nice to know that the efforts of our people are being noticed. We look forward to welcome you again in the future!

Rosario
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Great hotel in every way. I spent 5 nights on a business trip with colleagues, and everything was perfect (especially the staff!). The room was spacious and functional , great bathroom, and the gym was and indoor pool are certainly a plus.

If you go as a tourist, keep in mind that it is a bit far away from The Bund, but taxis are not expensive in Shanghai.

I would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Capodicapi2,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and nice comments on hotel facilities, location and service. The operation team will be very happy to know that they were recognized. We look forward to welcome you once again in the near future!

With best regards,

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 April 2013

For some reason, the staff at this hotel believes the good service is all about standing around and smiling. Below will you find things they apparently not include in their definition of good service:
- cleaning with water, they only uses dry clothes to wipe surfaces in hotel room, including bathroom
- cleaning in corners, there is dirt accumulating in corners, so the can only vacuum the middle of the floor
- cleaning showers, they do not remove the calc/lime in shower head, there is black smog (or something else) in the shower that needs to be scrubbed away
- 10 days of essential laundry (under wear and shirts) came to a total of 900 rmb (about 150 USD) which of course is a ridiculous price
- no air condition since it was not the "hot season" yet, had to open window in the 20th floor, which creates a constant howling

However, the breakfast is good, and the hotel in total is less worse than other Chinese hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: For the price level they operate at, choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Erik308272,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review, we value your comments and please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort you have suffered Our management and operational team will be taking this up and rest assured your concerns have been taken extremely seriously and our procedures will be reviewed.

We do have a few questions to help us identify with more accuracy the room details and any corrective action we can take.

If you are able and willing to contact us again we have provided contact details below.

Email: vicky.yan@crowneplazacenturypark.com
Dunn, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Nice place and great staff, rooms are larger than many places in cities this size in China. Property is well kept and front desk very helpful. There was no soliciting here. Outside the convention center youll be handed plenty of cards for prostitutes, but they are not to pushy. If going for convention and not too hot, walk back to the hotel it's a few blocks but nice. Once you get away from the entrance no one bothers you.

1 Thank ALvngd
Beijing, China
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I had the occasion to stay at the "Crowne Plaza Century Park in Shanghai", for R&R, from the 20th - 25th of March. This was after reading the excellent reviews given this hotel. I have stayed at many hotels in Shanghai, and some very expensive ones at that. I have to say that this hotel bends over backwards to please their occupants. I have never found the personal attentiveness at any other hotels as this one.From the Club Lounge which I found the most attentive group From Cathy (mgr) Deitrick, Kolin, Margaret,Cassie,Jessie,and Mandi, whom I met several times at different shifts In the Club. It seemed that they all exceeded any expectations from (I'm sure )anyone staying there. Cathy who arranged my stay with a choice room on the Club floor was most helpful and gracious in every manner of communication. Even the Consigier was so helpful in suggesting a location where I could expedite a money transfer and even accompanied me the the Bank next door and translated for me, until everything was taken care. I have never experienced this kind of attentiveness including personal greetings
from Mandi in the lobby, and a sincere desire to make you feel at home.or part of the hotel family. I would highly recommed this hotel, for anyone traveling, whether it be for 1 day or a week With Me, I will return when time allows.

Room Tip: I stayed on the Club Floor, (25th floor) which I had no problem with noise. I can only speak of the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dawei13
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Dawei13,

Thank you for the very nice review and your comments for Cathy Bu our Club Floor Manager will be shared with her and FO team. It is nice to know that the efforts of our people are being noticed. We look forward to welcome you again in the future!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I've stayed in Shanghai on 6 previous occasions . This hotel is without doubt the best for me. The rooms are excellent the beds extremely comfortable and the staff from Dexter the room manager to the waitress's in the restaurant extremely friendly and helpful .
Good work Crown plaza !

Room Tip: Be friendly with the staff and they will treat you well!
1 Thank Selectorjtb
Vicky Y, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Selectorjtb,

Thank you for your nice review on service and nice room. It is pleasing to know this has been noticed and the hotel team will be delighted when they see your review.

We look forward to welcome you once again in the near future!

With best regards,