“Grand Hotel in a Grand Location”

Mingde Grand Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #566 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My stay at the Mingde Grand Hotel had mixed feelings, there is no doubt that this hotel is grand in that it is beautifully set out both in facilities a location. The rooms are well presented and believe it or not the beds are quite comfortable unlike most beds in China. The location is great if you like mixing it with the locals, there are some great eating spots not far away and even a KFC and Maccas should you like to go that way.
Now I like to have a session in the Gym and then a bit of a dip in the pool, well at this hotel it cost you, I really hate hotels that dont make this part of there room rates, its not super expensive but a real pain in the butt.
Other than that I can recommend this hotel and I hope to be back there next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SantaMe

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Our experience at the Mingde hotel was certainly not memorable. The hotel looked grand, but on closer inspection, we found a lot of wear and tear for a hotel that was only 1 year old. Front desk staff were a bit officious. Out of 3 very small elevators to service such a large hotel and 2 bus loads of guests arriving, only 2 of the elevators were working. On the night of our arrival it took us more than 20 minutes to secure an elevator. On the day of our departure, it was no better; we had to haul our luggage down from the 16th floor, as it took well over 20 minutes to secure an elevator. As our arrival was late, there was very limited places to dine outside the hotel vicinity; our only option was the Yuepinxuan Restaurant in the hotel. The service and food was good, though somewhat pricey. The hotel’s location is also remote from tourist areas and located near slums. The rooms though were large, clean and comfortable. They had a decent variety for breakfast but the dining room was a little dark. I certainly would not put this hotel in the 5 star category.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at the Mingde Grand as part of a packaged trip to China and found the hotel to be comfortable. Its breakfast buffet was great and the rooms spacious and comfortable. Our room was a bit cold and the water warm , not hot at times but these things were easily adjusted. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a decent place to stay. It is close to a good metro stop so you can get around the town.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We most enjoy the clean rooms and big variety for breakfast. Staff are very helpful especially housekeeping! they were most helpful to arrange for connecting rooms so our kids could just run over in a few steps :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jerrilyn L
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I went to Shanghai with such trepidation after reading all the reviews here on TripAdvisor. Rest assured, this hotel is not nearly as bad as advertised.

The Lexington Plaza is large and non-descript. This hotel could be anywhere in the world, NYC, DC, Berlin. It's a big western chain, period, and that fact lends itself to non-descript character and impersonal staff, at least as I've experienced in all my travels. This is, however, the only hotel I stayed in in China where every concierge, bellhop, cleaning person greeted me with a hello in English when we passed in the corridors or elevator. That says something...

The hotel's location is remote from tourist areas, but this was not a problem for me as I was being escorted by a local guide. The area around it reminded me of the area just west of Times Square, NYC. So if you've been in neighborhoods like that and lived to tell about it, you'll be fine here.

The accommodations are excellent. My room was large, immaculately clean and quiet. Bathroom and bed were clean and comfortable. There was a wired internet connection for a fee in the room which was reliable but a bit slow. I was told by my fellow travelers that wireless in the lobby was faster.

Breakfast was average; this was the fifth hotel of five in China for me, and it had the slimmest offerings of them all but a good combination of Chinese and Western foods. I had no complaints about the restaurant service, but did find the dining rooms a bit dark for breakfast time! We had drinks in the bar one night and the service there was good for the number of people in the group.

I give this Average only because there was nothing that made it special or memorable to me and I felt the fee for wired internet use in the room was high. I had no issues or complaints or problems otherwise. Compared to other hotels I stayed in on this trip, this was just average.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank amybatt
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Rooms small twin room consisted of double and fold up bed. Staff had no clue of how to run a hotel.
Breakfast was so self service you had to clear a table of dirty dishes before you could even think about getting breakfast then had to wait about 20 min,s for any tea/coffee to arrive.
Had to constantly ask for coffee/tea etc for room.
Not a good area room looked out over a slum and not safe to walk need to take taxis
Not a pleasant experiance

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I visited Shanghai last November for the World Expo and stayed at the Lexington Plaza unfortunately. I have to say it was the worst experience in my whole life. Poor surroundings and service. I paid for a five star hotel but the reality was a trap! Never trust so called Chinese 5 star hotels. Poor service, poor food, but perfect price. For the surrounding, it is located in the middle of dump, slums or something. I could't understand why dose a 5 star hotel choose such a distinctive place? If you travel to Shanghai, please please don't stay there. Don't try to get you into nightmare!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends