“Lovely stay at Koala”

Ranked #34 of 746 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur
“Lovely stay at Koala”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I only reached Shanghai at 3am so I am thankful for the quick and friendly check-in. I stayed in the Lavender room which was smaller than it appeared on the photos but no big deal. The room was clean, with good water pressure in the bathroom. There are several places for you to hang around when you are tired from exploring the neighbourhood and most lovely was the in-house pet, a 4-month old brown poodle named Koala (what else?!). There is a park and many lovely small lanes nearby, and the metro is less than 10 mins walk away. Great place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
singapore
Reviewed 8 October 2011

stayed here during summer. location is fine, lots of food around the corner + the 10minutes of walking doesnt kill. infact its nice to walk to the train station as you get to see things, the crazyness of shanghai - thats the point of travelling anyway. do not choose twin clover as the room s located kinda behind the recept. and can get REALLY noisy + annoying with all the footsteps, phone ringings, chattering, water running from others using the common toilet.. etc. i picked this room initially but the min we were shown to twin clover, i was disappointed as the room was rather shabby. upgraded us to the lily room tts located on the third level. quiet and a whole lot better. try and choose rooms that are located on the third level like clover double, lily double.

beds are okok. certain parts of the beds i could feel the spring. everything else is great, the colors of the rooms, the furniture etc.

staffs are very nice and helpful and yes, i will def stay here again for sureeee :x

• Stayed July 2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I must say I was so surprised the first time I walked into this place! I usually don't believe every picture listed online for hotels/attractions until I see it for myself. To my surprise this place was better than the pictures. The atmosphere/location/food/service all received and A+ from me. I have stayed there more than 4times in my 3yrs of living in China this place is super-d-duper!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Although I stayed here almost a year ago, I still remember how amazed I was by the quality and cleanliness of the rooms at Koala Garden. Even in the shared dorms with 6 people, the rooms were very neat and tidy, had great A/C (important for the summer), and even came with lockers and locks. The shared bathrooms are also kept very clean. Location is good too, on a quiet Japanese themed street. And all this comes at a super affordable price.

The downstairs cafe is a nice place for a western meal and good place to meet fellow travellers. The staff is overall helpful during the day. I remember having some trouble being understood at night but it wasn't a big deal and I just dealt with whatever it was in the morning. Next time I visit Shanghai I will definitely stay at Koala Garden.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The hostel is a gem! I was impressed that the service was so good and the dorm is so tidy. I have stayed many youth hostel and I think koala garden is one of the best! Price is very cheap but high quality dorm. I would defineity stay here again of I go to shanghai!
^^)v

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This hotel provides a good value for your money in Shanghai. It is located north of the city (down-town for Americans) and is about a 15 minute walk to two subway stations, or about a 1 hour walk to the city. I stayed at a hotel with similar priced rooms even further north and experienced worse customer service and a dirtier hotel room, so this hotel is quite good on that score.

The hotel rooms are quite popular so it is best to book the rooms as far in advance as possible. They have air-conditioning which keeps the rooms warm at night (although the remote control is in Chinese which can make changing the settings difficult).

The quality of food and drinks is generally good but expensive compared with outside restaurants. For example a can of coca cola cost 20 Yuan (2 pounds) inside the hotel, but about 2 Yuan in a supermarket.

The staff are friendly and courteous for Chinese standards. It's best not to expect too much from them, but they will assist as much as possible and are usually eager to learn English.

After 11pm or so there is usually only a security guard around and the heating and floor lights on the ground level are turned off.

There are many shops and restaurants located on nearby Sichuan Road. This road can get crowded with pedestrians though.

The hotel has free wireless internet, although at times it can be slow.

Remember - do not accept Chinese tea from any person you meet especially in Nanjing Road Mall, no matter how nice or charming they may be, it is usually a scam!

Overall I would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 October 2010

we booked a double room with bath for two nights. When we arrived, the manger told me that we would have to go to an triple room withouth bathroom for the first night, as the double had a waterproblem which was to be solved by the next day. Ok, we got the triple room with a discount.
However, the next morning when I asked about when we can go into the double room, someone else told me that the people who are there needed to check-out first. ÄÄHHEM, waterproblem?
So yeah, the manager then apologized and even gave us that night for free, yet I give one star for lying straight into my face.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple