“Just What You Would Expect - Amazing”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #20 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

A friend and I traveled to Shanghai for pleasure, and we stayed two nights at the Park Hyatt Shanghai. This is a great hotel with great service, great amenities, and a great view.

Every staff member I interacted with was helpful and cheerful. This included everyone from the young guys at the taxi queue to the young lady working at the pool/spa. The service was exceptional, and while expected, it was nice to be greeted by name several times. Each time my friend and I had a query, the staff was able to answer it.

The only slight downside - and it is very slight - is the location of the PH. The view from the PH is exceptional, but for those who want to be in the heart of the action, this is not the hotel for you as it is located across the river from the French Concession, etc. We knew this when we booked, so this is not a complaint but rather a note for other would-be guests. As I said, very slight.

I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Shanghai

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is truly one of the most amazing hotels I have ever stayed in. The hotel is on the 79th - 89th floors of the Shanghai World Financial Center. Rooms are beautifully appointed with incredible views. The service is truly spectacular. I was greeted by name much of the stay, and the service at all bars and restaurants was top notch. The decor of the entire property is beautiful. The indoor infinity pool overlooking shanghai has to be seen to be believed. Though the gym is a bit small, it is excellent for a hotel gym with very good service. The overall ambiance of the hotel is wonderfully relaxed and sophisticated. The location is ideal. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Shanghai for two nights at the end of November, and I was simply blown away. I was already in Shanghai, and I called the front desk to see if I could check in early. They made arrangements to move up my check-in time by a couple of hours, and that made my day much easier. Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted, and after a brief delay with the housekeeping staff double checking my room, I was given my room keys.

I was lucky enough to get a room with a great view of the Jin Mao Tower and the Oriental Pearl Tower. I really liked the clean lines and simple color palette of the room - very sophisticated and understated. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've experienced in a hotel. The bathroom was very nice, with a combination rainfall shower and gigantic soaking tub.

I had the chance to use the pool, and it was very cool. At 20 meters, it was long enough for me to do laps and get in a good workout. As I was the only one using it, it felt a little strange when the attendants would stare at me, but I soon got over it.

Finally, I have to say that the staff were all very friendly and attentive. I liked the little touches like my name being remembered or my bags being taken when it looked like I was having trouble carrying them. I really enjoyed the intimate feel of the hotel, and of course, the views are amazing. I can't wait for the opportunity to come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2013

As a frequent traveler and Hyatt Diamond member, I have been to many hotels all over the world, and many Hyatt's. This hotel is truly exceptional and extraordinary!!! It must be experienced to truly understand. I don't think I can do it justice with any review I write, but I will try.

From the moment we arrived, the staff knew our name, was prepared for our early morning arrival (well before check in time), offered us hot beverages, and made it very clear to us that their number one priority was ensuring a remarkable experience! While we had a traditional suite booked, they upgraded us to the diplomatic suite on the 88th floor, which was simply INCREDIBLE!! However, I have friends who have stayed here in both traditional rooms and suites, and those rooms are also incredibly elegant, special, and well appointed!

The views from the tallest hotel in the world, and one of the tallest buildings in the world (101 floors) is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I have stayed in many tall hotels, but none rival the views the Park Hyatt Shanghai offers!

The rooms are incredibly appointed and designed, soundproof, functional, and very modern. The toiletries and amenities are wonderful, and get replenished consistently!

I can't say enough about the staff, especially Mariano Silvestri and the assistant manager Denise Duan. The staff are truly top notch, and truly want to ensure a remarkable and unique experience. Every single member consistently went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was remarkable.

The views are outstanding, and you can literally see all over Shanghai from the hotel!

The breakfast offers an incredible buffet with an outstanding wait staff, and of course the unique views the hotel is famous for!

We did not try the spa, but we viewed the pool and exercise area, and it was very nice.

The location is in the heart of the financial district, which makes it very convenient and accessible to many local attractions. It is on the Pudong side of the Bund, and you can see the beautiful Bund as well as the many skyscrapers from the hotel.

While this was a short visit, the personalized touches that we received from the hotel staff, the incredible views, impeccable style and decor, wonderful amenities, and excellent buffet made this one of the most unique and special hotel experiences I have ever enjoyed!

Truly remarkable and worth every penny!!

Room Tip: The suites are impeccably designed and a Bund view is preferable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark42139
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As a frequent traveller and regular contributor of my experiences, I learned to first look into the bad (“poor”) comments of guests in Tripadvisor. I do that at the end of my own stay, once I am ready to pencil my own opinion. Reason: it gives you an idea why people are rating a hotel as “poor”, is it because of an unfortunate event, an incident (that can always happen in any hotel, its up to management how to resolve that) or does it show a pattern? I come to that at the end of this comment.

To start with the good news. It’s a fabulously interestingly designed hotel. The rooms are spacious and somewhat “austere”, but the use of different materials and the brown/steel/grey interior make it very contemporary. What is striking is the combination of a wooden floor with a modern tapestry – a detail that comes back ion the hotel floor design - a slightly curved working table, glass-steel modern lighting – that can be dimmed, very nice – spacious cabinets and above all a very modern, comfortable bathroom, with a heavenly rain shower, a bathtub with a slight wooden finishing. All very nicely done. Because the rooms start at such a great height (reception at 87th floor) its quiet (a real treat for any hotel). The curtains can be closed via electric curtain tracks, making it really dark. A separate toilet, Japanese style, opens when entering and automatically flushes.

The hotel coming in from the entrance, turns out to be quite a maze and it will take you a while before finding pour way. The reception is at the 87th floor, breakfast is at the 91th floor, which, if you stay at say the 82th floor, is quite a puzzle to go first up with an elevator, than change the elevator at the other side of the reception and then to go up again. To go out you have to use two different elevators. Can be rather confusing.

A word of criticism: like many have mentioned service remains an issue in this hotel. The attitude of the staff can be really improved (and I am not referring to just saying “hello, good morning”, that works, sure) its rather high nose at times, reception (especially the Chinese ladies) should do a better job in trying to accommodate guest's quqestions or issues they raise. Staff gives the impression that they are ill equipped in resolving these smoothly. The attitude of the staff at the club at the 92th floor is flat out rude. Service is terrible (waited 20 min before I got my beer making me feel really uncomfortable having to ask 3 times). The 92th floor bar is noisy, the music is horrendously bad. Hotel management, close it all together or make it stylish and stop asking 2200 RMB (can you imagine?) for a “window” table where you have lesser of a view than when you go to the 87th floor at reception. Prices are inflated and have no relatioship with what is being offered. breaks down the hotelexperience all together.

In short, a beautiful hotel, surely one to recommend staying, but service issues remain.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Everything was impeccably well taken care of as expected for this chain. You have a breathtaking view everywhere you go be it in your hotel room, dining hall, by the pool, even the changing room.
I wished we planned our stay better though. We stayed in passing for 1 night and it was a smoggy day so I was not able to see the sunrise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The quality of the rooms, service and food was wonderfully refined and exceeded all expectations. Will definitely stay here again, Just perfect. You can enjoy the huangpu river view just from you bed.and the staff were very helpful and spoke nearly flawless English.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends