“Amazing!”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #15 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I visit this hotel very frequent. Always great service and great quality of food and drinks. Very friendly and professional staff. This is my favorite place in shanghai. And not to forget the best view in town! I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Happy Valley, Oregon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at this property for 2 nights at the end of March. From first entering, we were impressed with the quality and of the lobby, sleeping rooms and restaurant. Our view from our room was stunning, offering and large expanse of the waterway and the city. We visited the restaurant for 2 mornings for breakfast. The food was quite good and the variety was more than satisfactory. Prior to our arrival we had communicated with the concierge, who provided exceptional customer service for all of our requests. Our room was well appointed, large and quite comfortable. I highly recommend staying at this property while in Shanghai.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank go_ducks_81
Beijing
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Overall the hotel performed well other than no English newspaper in the morning. The room was good and the request for flowers was for our anniversary was there on arrival. My wife appreciated the chocolates and the champagne so that was well done.

Perhaps the rest of this should be directed to the F&B manager who has some serious work to do on 100 Century restaurant.

I requested a window table in the 100 Century restaurant for dinner Saturday night. We did get a window table if you consider a large column in the middle of the view a window table. I think shifting the table a bit or, horrors, reducing the number of tables may prevent having the view spoiled by a column. The feeling is like going through an obstacle course because the tables are packed in so tightly. I have to say my wife and I really think there is a Medieval dungeon somewhere missing some torture equipment. This equipment is now being used as chairs in this restaurant. I do not think we have ever had such hard and uncomfortable chairs to sit on. And since it took nearly 2 and half hours to get served our fixed menu dinner we certainly felt tortured by the end. Why it took so long to get served a fixed menu is a puzzle.

We also were really annoyed by the constant stream of people and their small children using our table location to snap flash photos of the view out the window. We felt like we were having dinner next to the line for a roller coaster at Disney World. These people were literally leaning over our heads in 4s, 5s and 6s to snap photos of each other and their loud children while we tried to have a romantic and quiet anniversary dinner. Why is it not possible to put the tourists and their cameras in another part of the restaurant so your other guests are not stuck being part of their holiday photos. This really ruined our experience. The restaurant staff just watched as apparently this is a typical situation for your guests.

Finally the food. It was way below the expectation we had for the signature restaurant at a 5 star hotel. Nearly all the dishes came out cold or lukewarm. The taste was bland and uninspired. It was a huge disappointment. The half lobster that came out was raw on the first attempt. At one point someone, who I assume was the floor manager came by and asked how things were. I told him the lobster was served cold and raw. His response? "Oh really.", and then he walked away. No apology, no offer to try to rectify things. When our lobster dish finally returned I was incredulous that all the kitchen had done was throw the same lobster back on the grill. The result? Dry stringy and inedible food. What kind of fine dining restaurant reheats lobster! Are they that cheap that they will not cook a fresh one properly?

The wait staff were competent but not personable or friendly and showed no interest in whether we found the food to our liking. Their biggest concern was to remove plates as soon as they thought we finished the dish. More than once we had to wave them off because we were not done. So we left the restaurant sore from the torture chairs and terribly disappointed with the food and service.

I had read the negative reviews of this restaurant prior to booking our dinner. I was sure that a quality hotel like Park Hyatt would not allow such poor food and generally indifferent service. I should have taken heed and eaten elsewhere. This experience just ruined what was an important night for my wife and me. When I told the front desk about this on check out all I got was a rather gushy apology and that she would tell the manager. And to top it off she told me she hoped we would come back and give them a chance to improve. A chance to improve! We spent over 2,000 RMB to give them a chance to improve? Why should a guest pay for on the job training at a top restaurant?

I think your F&B managers have some things to fix and some training for your staff to do as well. Do not waste your money at this restaurant regardless of the great view, column not withstanding.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charles c
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Due to flight routing, I decided to spend a few days in Shanghai. I decided to book the Park Hyatt Shanghai for three days. They had a buy to get 1 free special which was great. I have now stayed at three Park Hyatt properties, Tokyo (best hotel in the world perhaps), Beijing and now Shanghai. It is located in the 2nd highest building in the city in the city commercial center. Reception is on the 92nd floor and my room was on the 82nd. Park Hyatt's really focus on providing an intimate, high service experience, highlighted by excellent lighting and design. The room had a wonderful view, great amenities and a great place to spend some time just looking out the window. Service was very good and accommodating. Due to my early arrival, they arranged for me to shower at the spa and I had a nice breakfast while waiting for my room which was available at 11am. They even put a nice continental breakfast in my room when I arrived. Sometimes, there was a bit of a language barrier, but if needed a fluent English speaker could be found. Food was very good, especially breakfast. Concierge assisted with booking a day tour of the city which was nice. Pool area was also excellent with a nice view of the city. Special note that Housekeeping was exceptional. One afternoon I made a bit of a mess in the bathroom, and when I came back after dinner it was all cleaned up with fresh towels. So nice! Yes it's expensive, but I think in this case worth it. If you are flying though China, I highly recommend a day or two at the hotel. It's a destination in itself.

Room Tip: Look on hotel for specials. Also the restaurant on the lobby floor is very good and quite a bit che...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I recently spent two days here for work The location in the World Financial Center located on the 79th - 100th floor is amazing - the views are spectacular.

The rooms are great (I stayed in a corner room). There are huge windows so you can take advantage of the view. I had did have to ask the reception where the switches were to bring them down at night.

Room is very functional with good desk space, closet, separate shower area and toilet, large rain shower. Service at the hotel is excellent including reception, housekeeping, room service, doormen, etc. Even with the wake up call, they offered to take a coffee and breakfast order, which I think was a nice touch.

I would though fault the service in both the restaurants the Pantry and Century 100. The staff look unconcerned about the diners and were not attentive. In Pantry, food service was slow, I had to ask for plates to be removed and the only quick thing they did was give me the buill

I would stay at this hotel again but would avoid the restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having travelled all day on planes, it was great to be greeted by the very friendly door staff. In fact, all staff I came across from the minute I walked through the front door of the builidng to the door of my gorgeous room were courteous and friendly with a genuine smile. Truly was the best place to stay during a very long and tiring business trip. My boss and I were greeted with a sparkling wine of the month. When we commented on how nice it was and wondered if the Hotel stocked it, we were presented with a bottle to each of our rooms!!! The hotel is situated in the best spot.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

The Park Hyatt in Shanghai is simply amazing. We stayed near the top floor and the view across the river into Shanghai and the Bund was amazing.
The design of the hotel is minimum but also very classy.
Staff are very helpful and breakfast was amazing.

If you get a chance to you must visit here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple