“Nicest urban Hotel in the World”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #16 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Florida
“Nicest urban Hotel in the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

Most Luxurious and Modern Hotel that exists in any City. It just opened in 2008 so everything is brand new while the staff is well trained to cater to all your wishes. The overall feeling is incredible, from the elaborate entrance on the ground floor to the incredible views from the Lobby that is 87 stories in the air. The sleek Modern style of the Hotel is very tastefully done with smart detailing all over. The rooms continue to impress as they include technology induced toilet seats (that are a pleasure to use), rain like shower heads that drop water from the 12' ceilings, and as assumed a very comfortable bed that of course has breathtaking views. And while you are staying there you simply have to go take a swim in the enormous infinity pool and hot tub on the 89th floor. The multiple restaurants that are all on the 91st floor are another marvel with their great wine selection, fine food, and amazing setting. You can also venture up to the bar on the 92nd floor.
The downside is obviously the cost for all this luxury. Depending on the exchange rate and your currency, staying their can add up from the hotel room (I paid $375, which was well worth it) to the pricey food and amenities.
Overall I had a wonderful experience that I will continue to rave about and will definitely be staying there again whenever I make it back to Shanghai. If one can afford it or feels like splurging on a nice hotel (as I did), I would highly recommend the Park Hyatt.

• Liked — Everything was thought of
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank RandanTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

I stayed at the PH Shanghai for a week, yes, I agree there were one or two small teething problems, but overall this is a stunning hotel. The new restaurant and bar has just opened and are excellent. The rooms are spacious and well thought out. The service was very attentive and quick.

Whilst not as exciting as the PH Tokyo, probably the best in Shanghai right now.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank LuxuryBizTraveller
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

Given the number of questionable reviews about this new property, I was initially apprehensive about booking my stay here. However, I must admit that my stay overall was a very positive one and I highly recommend others to consider this property. I agree with some of the other reviews that this property is not the easiest to locate. Along with Park Hyatt’s subtle design, this property is not only that, but its also hard to find as the entrance is not easy to find by any of the taxi drivers. Upon arrival, well dressed staff welcomed me to the hotel and instructed me to check in on the 91rst floor. Here are my thoughts about this property.
Hotel Room: As a Diamond Member of Hyatt’s Goldpassport Program, I was upgraded to a Park Deluxe King Room. The room was one of the largest that I’ve seen in Shanghai. Appropriately, the staff did not refer to it as a suite. The room was equipped with a 37 inch flat screen, dvd player, huge bath with separate room with toilet. The toilet was hi-tech with an infra-red sensor that raises the toilet seat upon entry into the room. The ceiling mounted shower/bath area is separated from the sink/closet.
Restaurant and Room Service: I tried the room service which has a mixed selection of western and asian entrees. My order was delivered within 20 minutes and was tasty. Breakfast was served in their living room lounge and the main dining area. I understand that another restaurant and jazz lounge is under construction but not open during my stay.
Spa and Health Club: I found the health club to be very nicely equipped, but a bit cramped and in need of additional cardio equipment. The facilities at both the Grand Hyatt Jin Mao and Hyatt on the Bund are superior to this property. Fortunately, I was the only person working out during the three times that I visited the health club, so I was fine. As for the spa treatment, I had a good visit, but enjoyed the spa treatment at the Hyatt on the Bund much better. The facility at the Park Hyatt is beautiful especially with the pool and tub area. However, I found the treatment room to be a bit small. The staff were great hosts and tried to address my needs throughout the spa visit.
Overall, this is a very well designed and exclusive hotel. The staff is well trained, friendly and accommodating. I enjoyed my two stay here and would sign-up for another stay when I return to Shanghai in the Spring.

• Liked — Views and room design.
  • Disliked — Location is a bit too subtle, additional hotel signs are needed at the building's main entrance.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank MaxTraveller
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I stayed in Park Hyatt Shanghai for 2 nights from 10-Oct-2008 to 12-Oct-2008.

I booked a King-sized bedroom and I would say the room is definitely bigger than the same size room in Grand Hyatt Shanghai (which is just opposite of Park Hyatt Shanghai).

The hotel entrance is still quite unknown for most taxi drivers and you may need to prepare for some misunderstanding.

The hotel lobby is nicely decorated but relatively small compared to other 5-star hotels in Shanghai.

Service is not bad imaging this hotel has been opened for less than 2 months.

• Liked — Room is big
  • Disliked — Price is high
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank klchan188
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Park Hyatt at the very end of September, a matter of days after the hotel had opened and, we subsequently learned, while it was still officially in pre-opening mode. It was inevitable, therefore, that the hotel would show some teething problems and this certainly held true.

The hotel occupies the top few floors of the brand new Shanghai World Financial Centre - an awesome building that looks like a giant bottle opener and which is located next door to the city’s second most imposing building, the Jin Mao - which, curiously, happens to be the home of the Grand Hyatt. Nowhere else in the world can a chain have two flagship properties so close to one another.

The Park Hyatt is stylish, understated and ever so slightly mysterious. The reception, for example, is on a level above that of the rooms themselves and the private elevator which serves the room floors is quite separate from that used to enter the property. The place is also guarded like Fort Knox, which may simply have been because it was not yet officially open, or because the SWFC building is presently attracting vast numbers of visitors, few of whom would be welcome in the hotel.

Check-in is slick and efficient, but some reception staff appear inexperienced or just new and nervous - and many do not speak fluent English. Communication from the pre-arrival reservations staff was extremely proactive (e.g. an e-mail to acknowledge that I was a Hyatt platinum card holder and asking whether there was anything special I needed) but the communication between this office and the reception staff seemed to be non-existent, as some of these requests then failed to materialise.

Rooms are extremely stylish and show off typical Park Hyatt understated luxury, with lovely textures and shades of beige and brown. The large beds are equipped with top quality linen. Our “suite” was however simply an oversized room. Whilst I was upgraded into it, so could not complain, I commented to the duty manager that it would have come as a huge disappointment, had I actually been expecting a suite. One advantage of the suites, however, is that they have a fantastic window-side bath, which the regular rooms do not. They also feature a separate lavatory, off a completely different part of the room - and equipped with a lavatory that comes from the set of a sci-fi movie, with a motion-activated lid that rises as you approach (!) We were told that the bathroom benefited from under-floor heating but this seemed not to be functioning at the time we visited.

Housekeeping proved to be a bit hit and miss, which we attributed to the fact that the hotel had just opened. One day our room was not made up until the evening, while on another the turn-down service failed to materialise later in the day.

Breakfast was not a five-star experience, which we suspect may also be a teething issue. On one day we were declined poached eggs because the duty chef did not know how to make them (!) while some of the a-la-carte offerings seemed to have come off a hotplate.

The hotel’s bar is cozy and enjoys spectacular cityscape views, although we noted that the seats at the window tables are not high enough for these views to be experienced without standing up - a simple design oversight which we feel sure will be corrected in due course. Finally, we were disappointed to find that the “100 Century Avenue” entertainment complex that sits directly above the hotel had not yet opened at the time of our stay. Without it, the hotel was left with just one restaurant and a relatively small bar, which seemed modest for a property of this quality.

Overall, I am sure that the Park Hyatt is destined to become one of Shanghai’s most exclusive hotel destinations and will be fully deserving of a 5-point TripAdvisor score. At the moment, however, I only feel able to award it 4 (and in some respects bordering on 3).

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple