“Secluded. Exclusive. The deco perhaps just a touch too cold.”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #15 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Secluded. Exclusive. The deco perhaps just a touch too cold.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

Now that the hotel has open for more than a year, the previous problem of taxi drivers not knowing the location simply disappeared. Upon arrival, my wife and I had to go through the security check, two tall but rather dark doorways to the lift lobby, took the high-ceiling lift to the hotel lobby on the 87th floor. The room floor corridors are, again, rather dark. The decos are very Hyatt, but gave us the feeling that it might be a touch too cold. Our three-day stay was basically excellent, with one point worth mentioning. When we were at the hotel lobby on the 87th floor, we just wanted to browse around. There was a security guy eyeing our every move, as if we were trespassers. There was a stairway leading to the Function Room on the 86th Floor. When we wanted to walk down, the security guy just forbid us. That wasn't very friendly. If that was a closed area, why not put up a sign?

1 Thank W0r1dTrave11er

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jakarta Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Shanghai in early March was cold, grey, rainy, windy… simply dreary. But our stay at the Park Hyatt in Pudong Shanghai definitely brightened our stay.

We arrived in early morning after a red-eye flight from Bali. Upon arrival, the check-in was flawless. The lady who escorted us to the room showed the amenities and familiarized us with the switches in the room. The butler already prepared a complimentary continental breakfast on a tray in our room. In addition to the in-room espresso machine and the complimentary wifi, these experiences gave us a pleasant and good first impression of the hotel. And the experience continued to be extraordinary.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I needed to get medicine that’s only available in China. The concierge found that the medicine wasn’t available in Shanghai but managed to trace the manufacturer to Funan and arrangements were made to ship the medicine to our location.

We stayed in the Park Deluxe Room on the 85th floor, which literally was in the clouds. The room was well designed with interesting high-tech gadgets (the toilet and the shower area were the highlights here). The room felt spacious (the ceiling was high). On a clear day, the views out of the window were breathtaking with the mind-boggling architecture and skyline of Pudong. The Mad Max type futuristic Jinmao Tower and the Oriental Pearl Tower were right in front of our eyes. The bar on the 92nd floor was alive even during the non-ladies weekday nights.

We wanted to make a 1-day trip to the ancient Chinese town of Suzhou and water town of Zhouzhuang but were confused with all the offerings on the internet. We asked the hotel concierge for recommendation and they said they worked with a local travel agent and gave 2 package options: the deluxe and the standard. We took the standard which was reasonably priced and were surprised that we were picked up in a nice, clean, spacious car with a good English speaking lady guide. The package included lunch and we had a feast at an excellent Chinese restaurant! All this with only a standard package?!! Wow we were so satisfied with the arrangements.

We found the concierge opinionated and was surprised when he said don’t bother to go on the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel and visit the ancient town of Qibao. Only later did we find that we should have listened to him!

If there is any criticism at all, I wonder why there is some rust on the taps by the sink in the bathroom and the door handle at the toilet room when the hotel only opened in late 2008.

Overall though, it was a luxury experience with absolute quality.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Maura-SoeparjadiKwik
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2010

Excellent staff and service, friendly and personal. Efficient organisation of meetings and activities, airport pickups and dropoffs. High quality restaurants and facilities.
Well designed and spacious rooms.
Views would have been brilliant if the air outside was not smoggy

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

6 Star all the way. Superb service. Impeccable, detailed rooms. Outstanding views. Breakfast is a tad expensive but very high end. Will not hesitate to stay again. Bring some trunks to check out the spa and infinity pool upstairs. This is the best hotel in China and one of the best I've ever stayed in.

1 Thank shinrai
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

This hotel is a Tony Chi masterpiece!
I had admired his previous works but this hotel sincerely blew me away. From the tactile surfaces throughout to the ever changing and surprising "feels" of each public and private room, this property oozes warmth and tranquility.

Having always been a fan of Park Hyatt's Asian properties, I can truly say that this hotel now raises the bar.

Just as Park Hyatt Tokyo is THE hotel in that great city, this is THE hotel in Shanghai.

Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Prospect_Park_Johnny
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

Don’t be mislead by the title, my stay in the Park Hyatt is not like walking on cloud 9, in fact you can say it’s the opposite. I am just stating the fact that at being on the top floors on one of the tallest building in the world, it is literally above the clouds.

Date of Stay: November 26,2009
Room Type: Park Room
Upgrade: none
Amount Paid Per Night: 2,080RMB (300USD) plus taxes
Reservation Method: Goldpassport Website
Loyalty Card: Platinum Gold Passport

Airport/Hotel Transfer: Arranged for an Audi transfer from the hotel, I find this the best way in China because sometimes taxi lines are too long and you might be left standing in the cold for at least an hour. Unlike Park Hyatt in Beijing that met me on the Airport Gate itself and escorted us through immigration and customs the Hyatt representative (Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt on the Bund) was waiting for us at the arrival area outside the customs section.

Location: I never liked staying in Pudong because it’s just too far from anything…and traffic is horrendous but with the 2 new tunnels connecting Pudong with Puxi, getting from the hotel to Puxi could be as little was 10-15 minutes. Park Hyatt is on the top floors of the Shanghai World Financial Center, from the ground floor you go up to the lobby at the 87th floor and you take elevators down to rooms from the 79th to the 84th floors.

Check-in: Was very fast, we were met at the ground floor and escorted to the lobby and was in our room in less than 10 minutes.

Room: Quite large, I like the open feel without making it too open that I loose my privacy like the Park Hyatt in Beijing. The real problem is the huge diagonal pillar which is part of the building’s structure taking up almost half the window view. and it also made the room look smaller because it pushed the day bed much closer to the bed.

Bathroom: The bathroom was big, the rain shower is twice the size of the regular rain showers and is inclosed in a very roomy shower area with a big bathtub. Toiletries are from Aromatherapy (just like the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong).

Bed: Bed was very comfortable not really too soft and not hard either, I have to say it’s just right. The pillow are another thing, I wish I had enough strength to request for additional pillows because those huge square pillows were hard to manage. I literally had to fold them so I could sleep.

Breakfast: compared to other hotels in Asia, I have to say the breakfast spread is adequate albeit very limited. But the great thing is where they serve breakfast, they call it Dining Room, and when you enter the place they made a nice little kitchen with cabinetry and stovetop like ones you see at home or condo. you pass through a doorway into the actual Dining Room with a nice view of Pudong.

Check-out: Check out was fast and efficient, nothing much to write about it actually, they did apologize for the room over and over but it’s really a bit too late for that.

Overall Evaluation: Service is excellent there no doubt on that, I said the same thing when I spoke to the Director of Rooms the following morning after I sent him an email about the diagonal pillar on the room and told him that I am moving to Peninsula across the river. However I felt that as a Platinum member I’m entitled to something more, plus the fact that my membership guarantees the best available room on the category…and I do not think that was the best at that time.

2 Thank Keslergo
JAKARTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

The Park Hyatt is the premium luxury brand of the Hyatt Chain, and positioned itself as premium luxury hotels in same class as Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Occupying the 79th to the 87th floor of the Shanghai World Financial Centre, the Park Hyatt Shanghai can boast of being the highest hotel in the world with the fame and novelty to go with it. It is also the most expensive hotel you can find in Shanghai with starting rates comparable to and in most case exceeding the most expensive hotels in Hong Kong. I rarely try any hyatt hotels because my past stays at Hyatts have all turned out to be a total disaster, to the extend that I usually go out of the way to avoid this chain. However, despite my previous several unpleasant experience with the Hyatt Chain, this hotel is generating enough hype that I was eager to give this hotel a try just to see if it does live up to it’s reputation.

Bad arrival experience

Unfortunately, from the get go, history seems destined to repeat itself. My arrival experience at this hotel left me unimpressed, unwelcome, underwhelmed and annoyed. On arrival, a bell boy ( which strangely was dressed smartly in tie and suit ) took my luggage bag and I was shown to the hotel’s speed elevator, which whizzed quickly in less than a minute to the 87th floor. The lobby indeed was quite impressive, but the weather was foggy hence not doing justice to the view. The check-in desk seems to be understaffed and there was a queue forming for check-in, not a good sign of a supposedly top-tier luxury hotel.

Upon check-in, I told the check-in lady staff that I have earlier requested by email for a room facing west towards Puxi and Jinmao tower which has the best view. I was immediately told this room wasn’t available because the hotel was “fully booked” but I’m sure she did not bother to check. Then I was told breakfast wasn’t included in my room rate ( it was ) and only after showing my booking, then she relented. Next she spend several minutes staring at her computer screen apparently “hunting” for a suitable room (??? ). Finally, I was next told the room wasn’t ready because they have to “put some fresh fruits” in the room first. And I was assured it would only take 5 mins and she will informed me once ready and show me to my room. I was invited to wait in their “living room” which is the hotel lounge. After 10 mins passed, no sign anyone is coming. Frankly, I’m not used to waiting at all for check-in when staying at luxury hotels. If it’s Holiday Inn or even a Hilton, fine, but this is the Park Hyatt. So I approached the front desk again asking where’s my room and was dismayed to find out that apparently, the room was ready a while ago, just that the lady who checked me in left the desk and forgotten that I was still waiting at the lounge. Another staff then handed me the room keys and wish me a good stay. No escort to room or they must have forgotten.

Upon entering, the room at first glance was indeed very impressive. It’s cutting edge modern contemporary and remind me of another hotel with similar styling, the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. However, a quick check on the room and I soon noticed significant wear and tear. Worst, the showerhead have ugly brown spots and the bedsheet have some brown stains. Yucks! Totally not acceptable! I immediately called Guest Service to complain and was promised they will send someone to check and clean it soon. Looking around the room, I hunt for the light switches and couldn’t find them ( it was hidden beside the bed ) and I couldn’t find the lights for the toilet cubicle which was very dark. The remote for the TV is hidden so I couldn’t switch on the TV. A lot of stuff are just not very intuitive in this room. Someone should have shown me the room being my first step here.

Another 10 mins passed and nobody come to my room yet to attend to my complaints. Also, my luggage wasn’t brought up. It’s starting to irritate me. Calls to guests service several times and they will say “I will check” but it’s a different person answering the call each time, which means I have to repeat the story. Getting seriously annoyed, I started to ask for the Manager on Duty. Shortly after, the assistant manager showed up and apologized, and promptly got the room cleaned and arranged the luggage to be brought up. The duty manager also came to apologize, and offer another room which has a better view and in much better condition ( much less wear and tear ). I took the opportunity to lecture them that since Park Hyatt positioned itself as a top-tier luxury 5star hotel ( and they certainly priced accordingly ), such service hiccups and housekeeping sloppiness are totally unacceptable. Furthermore, as a first time guest, I should be escorted to the room to explain the technology and features, not left me to figure things for myself. Both were very apologetic and said they will feedback my comments to management.

The Room

I booked a Park King room which measures a spacious 50-55m2 and decorated in cutting edge contemporary style. Everything feels very zen and there is a great view of Puxi and Jinmao tower. Unfortunately, it was quite foggy during my stay but that was not the fault of the hotel. I particularly love their closet design which has really cool lighting feature and each door can be folded inwards for easy accessibility or covered for privacy. There isn’t much furniture in the room, just a TV, a nice work desk, a day bed by the window and a small side table hence it feels very spacious. All the usual hotel amenities ( toiletries, towels, stationary etc ) are there but kept out of sight, hidden in boxes or behind doors which make the room feel uncluttered but frankly gets rather annoying at times if you are a first time guest hunting for stuff. The bathroom has dual vanity and a separate “wet room” which houses a fabulously large rain-shower and large tub. Strangely, the toilet cubicle was housed in a separate compartment away from the bathroom. There’s also a coffee machine and a safe. The room is also whisper quiet, evident of great sound proofing.

One feature missing is a in-room A/V system, surprised the hotel didn’t invested in one. The room features extensive mood lighting, which can be dimmed or brighten individually. Once I figured out the light function, it’s rather pleasant to use. The bed is very comfortable, feature silky smooth bed linens and face the windows. I had a great night sleep and it’s such a wonderfully elating feeling to wake up and draw back the curtains ( automated by the way ) and see the the entire Shanghai city below you.

Overall, it’s a very design driven room and indeed very gorgeous looking. It ranks easily as one of best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. My few complains are the lighting is inadequate in the entrance foyer ( a bit dark and claustrophobic ) and the wetroom keep splashing water everywhere once the taps are on. Also, the toilet cubicle is quirky, with an accompany sink so shallow that I splashed water everytime I used it. The DVD player and iPod dock for some reasons are located at the bottom of the TV cabinet so one have to bend down to access it.

Common Areas

The hotel is gorgeous throughout. Everything is cutting edge contemporary luxury and the owner obviously spared no expenses to decorate the place. Clever use of partitions, mirrors and other ingenious design elements transform the place literally into an oasis of calm and a haven of luxury and style. The restaurants follow the same trend, although the 91st floor 100 century avenue is way more flamboyant. The Living Room ( ie the hotel main lounge ) boast the best view of Bund in Shanghai ( provided weather is fine ) and also served drinks and snacks. An excellent place to relax and / or meet guest. Also, it appears that the hotel is the “it place” for well-to-do or new money Chinese to hang around, all of them eager to flaunt their wealth but unfortunately some of them lack the class and manners to go with it. It’s quite common during my stay to see businessman talking loudly into their mobiles or parents letting their toddlers scream their lungs off in the lobby and spoiling the tranquil atmosphere.

I really like the food in this hotel and all the food served at all the food outlets are uniformly excellent. I had a quick afternoon snack at the Living Room and had the best tasting spring rolls I've ever eaten. The 100 century avenue restaurant is the highest restaurant in the world and have amazing 360 deg views of Shanghai. It served Japanese, Chinese and western with live cooking station. I had dinner there and food quality is excellent but very expensive. The dinning room serves buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. I find the breakfast good but lack selection. Items like waffles, pancakes are conspicuously missing. Service at both restaurants are attentive. No complaints here.

I also visited the swimming pool and small gym at the 85th floor. The pool looks really inviting and with surrounding cabanas it has a very resort feel.

This is one area where the hotel is lacking, as evident from the arrival experience. Also, there is inconsistent service level provided by the staff. Some are more friendly and helpful while a few acts so pretentiously that they are probably thinking we should be thankful to be staying at their hotel. In particularly, I find the front desk or the reception to be really inadequate, incompetent and snobbish due to my check-in and check-out experience. The need to wait for check-in was particularly unacceptable for a hotel of this class. Also, they appeared to be frequently confused while staring at their computer screen, not sure why.

After my strong complaint on arrival, the Duty Managers did their best to recover from the service hiccups including switching to a more pleasant room with a much nicer view. I was also offered a complimentary limo ride to the airport by the Duty Manager as compensation for the “inconvenience” I experienced during check-in. This is a much appreciated gesture since the limo ride was very comfortable indeed in a brand new S-Class Mercedes. But even this, the frontdesk staff managed to be confused over this. Apparently, instructions weren’t passed down efficiently and I was first told the limo wasn’t arranged and they need to reconfirm if it’s complimentary. And strangely, the limo managed to appear at the last minute. Hmm…. English proficiency is another weakness. I could barely decipher their English and end up speaking mandarin to them most of the time. However, this is understandable in China where English wasn’t widely spoken by most people.

Another service that isn’t up to task is the housekeeping which I find rather sloppy. I can easily spot traces of dirt and stains all throughout my room, on the taps or any shiny surfaces especially. Once again, hotels that positioned themselves as top-tier luxury hotels like Park Hyatt should deliver rooms which are spotless.

Conclusion

The Park Hyatt is designed and built to be a distinguished and unique luxury property. Certainly, throughout most of my stay and when things run smoothly, it does delivers a luxury experience befitting the Park Hyatt name and among the best I have experienced. Unfortunately, it does not have the necessary “software” to match the top notched hardware. The service staff, esp the frontdesk needs to improved. Perhaps my bad experience during arrival was an unforeseen and one-off hiccup but I’m judging this hotel based on it’s price and class. Despite the admirable attempts at service recovery by the hotel managers, it ultimately fails to deliver a perfect experience to merit my top rating. I’ll give it a 4 out of 5. Having said that, I will really like to return to the hotel again, perhaps when the weather is better and the view nicer and hopefully they work out all the service quirks by then.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank BENLEE123