See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

The hotel is located in the heart of XuJiaHui with lots of shopping places and restaurants around. Metro line 4 is just across the street and line 1 is in a 5 min walking distance. The room is big, the bed is comfortable, the room is clean. There are chinese tv channels only, but when exploring the city you are not having much time to watch tv. Wifi is free and speed is sufficient. Its a good choice stay for a smaller budget.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

A little hesitant on booking this place as it had not been reviewed in a long time. Pleasantly surprised in many ways. For the rate you pay it is easy to overlook that the rooms are looking a little scruffy but it was clean and comfortable with working wifi and pleasant yet unobtrusive staff. Location is a little far from Nanjing Rd / central Bund area and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the action, however the area is safe and has lots of food options at your doorstep and a metro station practically across the road. Recommend.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2016

The room at this hotel was well-presented and reasonably priced. Decorations were modern and stylish, the bathroom in particular was well presented. The FX hotel is in a great central location, but the room was not particularly noisy.

Some reviews have mentioned poor service but this was not a problem during our stay, staff were friendly and helpful. Would have reviewed very good or excellent were it not for the internet- AWFULLY SLOW even by Chinese standards. Hope this issue has been resolved since my stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2015

At first I wasn't sure about staying at this hotel, especially after reading some bad reviews about it online, and as it's gonna be a six-day stay. But, it turned to be quite satisfying and beyond my expectations. First, the check in was quick. I was so tired after long hours flight, so this was a very good first impression. The room was very small yet very clean. For some people maybe the lighting was poor and made the room too dark but for me, it was fine as it's sort of giving me a warmer atmosphere. The room has almost everything that I need, such as slippers, tea and coffee maker, and hairdryer. It also has international power outlets which is impressive and very helpful if you forgot to bring one. However, the one I like most about this hotel was actually its location. I was surprised to find that the metro "indoor stadium" exit located just across the hotel, so it was very convenient. In the same building (as the metro exit), there were also a supermarket and a pharmacy. They were just about 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel. You also can find a lot of restaurants and diners in the area, so you don't need to worry being starved. Next time I visit Shanghai again, I definitely will consider this hotel as my first option to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2015

This was my fourth time staying here. I always came back because of the location across from the metro station (below the mall), near cheap eats and it was a modern looking hotel for a great price. The best restaurants are the 9 Mao Style restaurant at the Stadium (just a short walk) , Yang's Fried Dumpling across the street in the mall and the restaurant next to Yang's. I can't remember the name. All 3 are excellent.

This visit though was extremely disappointing. The place was dingy, dirty and run down. Our safe was broken and needed to be replaced. Two of our friends had the same problem. Our ref was broken (as well as our other friends). There were 4 rooms booked with our group. The walls were dingy.

There's only 1 english channel. The rest are all Chinese or dubbed over English movies. :(

The internet was EXTREMELY annoying because you have to resign in everyday and it was very slow.

The female staff people at the front were rude and not at all friendly. You would ask them a question and they would stare at you blankly. Not great for an International business hotel chain.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends