Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,335 results
All reviewsspanish restaurantthe pearltop floorgreat hotelthe financial districttv towerexecutive floorsuper brand mallriver viewswimming poolspent nightsroom was largespecial thanksgreat roombusiness tripacross the riverbreakfast buffet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Gran Melia is modern, clean and classy. Our room was large, comfortable and had everything we could possibly need. Outstanding features for us were the luxurious bathroom with separate bath and shower, and the super-comfortable mattress.
An easy few minutes to walk to the nearest mall or to get on the subway means the location is just right Head out the back way and you're right on the river.
We really can't recommend this hotel enough - we had a great stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Tracy W, Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Dear meowf,

Thank you for your inspiring feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and the bathroom, sleeping experience was to your satisfaction. At Gran Melia are passionate about delivering Real, Exceptional, Difference guest experiences and strive to do our best. It is through delighted customers that a hotel gains its true recognition.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for many more renewing moments.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 September 2012

The room was spacious, modern and well kept. It is within walking distance to the subway station. Only subway stop to the main shopping area....Nanjin Road. Within walking distance to the Pearl of the Orient tower and the IFC shopping mall. The swimming pool and fitness facility on the top floor has a stunning view of the city and the river.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Dear Charlie To,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review on Trip advisor.

It is always pleasant to receive comments like this one, which makes us feel very proud of our property service and staff who contribute to the wonderful experience. We will keep working with quality and excellence doing our best to make other guests feel as comfortable as you deserve.

Please contact us whenever you plan to visit Shanghai again!

My best regards,

Reviewed 27 September 2012

i have stayed here already a couple of times - stunning architecture, great rooms, inparticular the ones with river views, outstanding food buffet with chinese and western food ( breakfast, dinner). In comparison to other Shanghai hotels spa still has some room for improvement. they have very limited capacities and facilities are not very large. centrally located in Pudong and close to the Bund

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear y s,

Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you found the hotel, its architecture and its restaurants up to your expectations. Your sentiments have been shared by the entire team at The Gran Melia Shanghai. The Chef is thrilled to read your comments.

Thank you again for sparing your time to write. We look forward to welcome you back at The Gran Melia Shanghai in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 September 2012

A nice new hotel but missing some details for their services and design for the guest room. The lighting is poor. The standing shower was in an odd position, door seems not shutting well. Breakfast was so so.

Room Tip: Most rooms come with a nice view at the Bund. Try to get a room with view towards the Bund.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Johnson L,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time in letting us knows your opinion about your stay in Gran Melia Shanghai. I am sorry that the room amenities and breakfast were not up your expectation. I hope that you will give us a chance to renew your confidence in us.We appreciate if you contact us for your next visit to Gran Melia Shanghai, it will be a pleasure to receive you again.

My best regards,

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Great location (5 minutes cab ride from JinMao Tower), great views of the Bund but is it a good value?

Room:
My room was on the 22nd floor and had views of the Bund - excellent. It was a quiet room but the biggest bummer was that the wi-fi does not work. Even the Ethernet chord did not provide signals...a big let-down. The room itself was large enough for a family.

Restaurants:
Breakfast: at the coffee shop was good but I stuck to cereal and milk...not sure how the eggs and waffles tasted. Juice seemed to be out of the can....I was expecting freshly squeezed.

Dinner: I ate out most of the nights however, got a chance to sample the hotel fare one evening. The hotel has a Chinese cuisine and a Spanish cuisine restaurant, a coffee shop and a Cuban themed bar and an excellent lounge bar on the 30th floor. If you want the views of the Bund, the lounge bar is the place to be. Ask for a non-smoking section if you want...on my first night I learned it the hard way. The wi-fi works well in the lounge but the bummer is that the menu choices in "wine by the glass" are limited.

The Spanish restaurant has a few good tapas options….I had the octopus (it was cold) but the garlic shrimp was excellent. I skipped the main course and then was sold on the dessert….a milk pudding. It was an average preparation – not very high in sugar (nice)….but the rice did not seem completely done. Again “wine by the glass” options were not encouraging.

Amenities
I am most concerned by the Gym....good treadmill options, elliptical but NO bike options. A huge surprise! And the worst part - no wi-fi access. This is almost a given these days.

Overall, I am not sure if I will come back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a bund facing room...the lower floors bund facing room are just as nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BlueSky411

Dear BlueSky411,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate some of the kind words you had to say about our property. I am sorry that the wifi and some amenities were not what you had expected. I hope that you will give us a chance to renew your confidence in us. I hope the next time your travels bring you to Shanghai; you will reach out to me directly so I may assist with your accommodations.

Kindly regards,