“great location and amazing views”

The Bund Riverside Hotel
Ranked #158 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have just spent 3 nights in this hotel and it was very nice indeed. A little outdated in some ways, but we had a huge suite with an amazing giew of bith the hungpu river and the amazing buildings over in Pudong.
Staff were all very helpful and even booked our train tickets onwards for us (for a small additional fee).

Good distance to the metro and both The Bund and People's Square, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room on one of the higher floors. We were in 1813 and had a great view. Higher is lilely to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nasreen77

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Nice location within walking distance of the Bund, great value if you hit one of the deals for a suite -- with opening windows -- but a touch tired in some aspects.
Still well worth the money and great views of the harbour if you are up high enough and our room faces in the right direction. I would suggest it is worth the extra charge for a view over the river.

Room Tip: I would go a river view and high up.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Travelled with a group in China, and spent time in much better hotels than this. Spent 2 nights here. In the first room we had the handle of the bathroom door was coming off, the towel rack fell off the wall, the drain in the shower didnt work and I dont think I have seen a dirtier carpet ( I heard a lady complaining to the manager how dirty the place was). The mini bar had the most expensive beer I saw in China and the beds were hard' though I prefer a hard bed.

For the 2nd night we were upgraded to an identical room without the defects (and we noticed the access code for the room wifi on the side of the modem which worked well).

Breakfast was adequate but boring though the coffee was drinkable.

The hotel states it has a shop but doesnt.

Access is up 12 steps from the street, and the staff will not help with luggage.

Good location and ok hotel provided you get a cheap rate, but prefer others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Unfortunately we had only booked in for one night, but wow! This hotel was everything we had hoped for - wonderful views of the Financial Zone, the river, a great situation for the Bund and the shopping centre at Quipu.

Although the bedroom was pretty small, the view from the 14th floor more than made up for it. We had booked through a bookings site and asked for a non-smoking room on a high floor with views of the river and that's exactly what we got .

The staff were friendly and helpful, the room very clean and for around £50-60 sterling, we thought it was a good value, centrally situated hotel and would definitely stay here again if we are in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the river. Non-smoking can be specified
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maccy40
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Just got back from our trip to china, where we stayed in 5 different hotels all around the same price, this hotel was the worse one. Not a friendly place to start off with but the room was defiantly needing some attention, we stayed here for 5 nights, the bed was unbearably uncomfortable I had to sleep on the top it was so lumpy, the aircon was useless, the carpets were filthy and the shower water didn't drain, we had problems with the tv not working for the whole 5 days and we didn't have any Internet in the room but when told we had wifi in the lobby that didn't work either! The view is outstanding but because the room was so hot we had the curtains shut all the time. Would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I could stay in this hotel for only one night before I was compelled to find somewhere else. I travel a lot for my job and have stayed in all sorts of establishments, so I am not unused to sheets of dubious cleanliness, lack of hot water or air conditioning. That being said when I decide to put down a little more money in hopes of a nicer experience I don't like to be disappointed.

There were no cleanliness issues at this hotel and if you need a place to simply sleep and nothing else it would be perfect for you. However if you like to do things like the average person, that is check email in bed, get some work done, or simply research where you going to go for drinks this is not the place to do it.

Undisclosed when I booked my room was that it had no internet. Apparently only a few floors have internet in their rooms and mine wasn't one of them. I sure would have liked that to have been mentioned on the website. A little honesty and I certainly would have paid a little more for a room with internet. Now, they said they had wifi in the Lobby, and that is okay, not ideal but I didn't mind. However, upon going to the lobby I found the wifi was broken! Okay fine never mind, I guess I don't need to find a place to eat. But wait! They offered to open the business center for me. How sweet, except that connection was either broken or so slow it might as well be, I couldn't tell. I gave up waiting.

No matter, I can just eat at the hotel. So I go to the third floor restaurant only to be turned away because their was a wedding and no seats available.

As if the internet non-disclosure agreement was not enough, do not be fooled by their tricky water placement. They put the expensive Evian water right next to the water boiler, free tea and complementary instant coffee packets (usually where the free water is placed). No mention of price or anything, it was a pretty nice looking hotel so I figured they didn't skimp on amenities. It wasn't until the next day, I noticed the complementary water hidden in the bathroom almost behind the door. With a sigh I figured I would just pay a fee of around 25RMB for having fallen for their trap. Not so, I had an additional 68RMB!! tacked onto my bill. 68RMB for one bottle of water!

The staff were not overly rude, but certainly lacking any graciousness. Also, while not damming in itself they did not have a charger for an iPhone. Not required, and my fault for forgetting my own. However the dingy hostel in Xiamen had buckets of them to lend or sell. I expected a classy establishment near the Bund to have at least one on hand. I should have known when I found there was no internet.

So if you are looking for a place to cut yourself off from the outside world and experience a taste of what Shanghai was like in the 1920s (but don't expect to taste it in their restaurant) by all means stay here. Pay 68RMB for water, and let your emails wait a while. Not necessarily a bad thing. However if that is not something you want to sign up for in advance look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for one with Internet!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ELizabeth W
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We really loved staying here. Great location by The Bund, shopping and underground. Really friendly staff. It is a cheaper hotel and you get what you pay for. But. We found it so handy that we cancelled other accommodation in Shanghai to stay there again on our outbound leg.

Room Tip: We think that rooms above level 15 have had a facelift
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple