“Excellent hotel in Shanghai”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 March 2013

If you want to stay in a truly design driven hotel ...stay here. This place is amazing....it is my 4th stay here.

Definitely my favorite hotel in Shanghai by far...this is a 5 star experience. I never seen so many guests take pictures of just the lobby. The rooms are impeccably designed, with so much intricate detail ..it really adds to the China experience.....you feel like you are really in the Orient at the Puli. I had a room overseeing the park and downtown.

It is close to the shopping and walking distance to the local restaurant districts....

First class experience from check in to check out ...the staff is available for your every need....I would almost say overstaffed in the lobby cafe...maybe a few too many eyes on you ready to cater to your every need....but that is not a bad thing I suppose. Food is pricey....but the second floor restaurant was excellent. My only complaint was no irons in the room ...which always surprises me you have to request one from housekeeping ...seems so silly in a high end hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that The PuLi Hotel and Spa is by far your favorite hotel in Shanghai! Thank you for your generous comments.

I am especially glad that your enjoyed your room with its design and intricate details and more importantly - that you received first class experiences from our staff and that your enjoyed our restaurant.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed 23 March 2013

After 3 nights in Shanghai in a 3 star hotel, then going to Suzhou for 2 days, my mother and I stayed at the Puli for our last night back in Shanghai - a stunning way to say bye to China. Our room and the whole hotel were beautifully designed. We stayed in a really great 5 star hotel in Xian but it was conventional hotel luxury compared to the understated sleekness of the Puli. I'm an architect and designer and the the attention to detail in the hotel styling was the best I've ever seen. The Puli shows how a hotel should be illuminated - dim. Hotels should not feel like supermarkets. All staff were so courteous and helpful. When I went for a swim I had the enormous pool to myself - the most stunning space in the hotel. We had breakfast at the ground floor bar - simple food, but again the attention to quality and detail was evident everywhere. Good location and easy access to the metro. Will definitely come back to one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this TripAdvisor report following your and your families stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We appreciate your comments on the understated sleekness of the Puli and the the attention to detail in the styling throughout.

Attention to detail is the "name of the game" as we say in our business and we are happy that you experienced your stay in this manner.

We are thrilled that you are planning on coming back to stay with us when you are next in Shanghai. Until then I remain,

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Wow, wow, wow. What an absolutely amazing experience. We booked to stay 3 nights and ended up staying 5. Situated in the middle of busy Shanghai, you feel like you are in a spa, as far away from anyone and anything.

Location is on top of the underground train. You are able to go anywhere, anytime very easily. The staff know everything about anything and pointed us in the right direction every time we asked to do something or eat somewhere. They seem to know all of the right places to dine and always manage to get a table even if they are 'booked out'.

Make sure you have enough time to go for a massage and then a swim/sauna. It is pure bliss.

I cannot wait for my next trip to Shanghai so I can stay at the Puli hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Club Rooms'. They are up high with amazing views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear Guest,

And a big "WOW" back at you! Thank you so very much for taking the efforts and time to give us your feedback.

We are so happy to read that our staff were able to get you into the busiest restaurants in town and that they were able to point you into the right direction.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the near future and remain,

With kindest regards

Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights and blown away be service and hotel amenities - the gym was well equipped and the spa and pool top class and normally empty. The location on the green metro line 2 very convenient for airport and other attractions - one of the hotels I've ever stayed in

• Stayed: March 2013
Jan_B_Tibaldi, Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your overwhelming feedback following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We were delighted to read that you were blown away by our services and amenities and that you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel.

We can't wait to welcome you back to Shanghai and remain in the meantime,

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Great hotel! I stayed for 3 nights the hotel food is delicious slightly over priced but I think that's to be expected at such a fancy place. I had a flight at 8pm and check out was at 11 am the staff was nice enough to hold my bags without any extra cost. For someone who has little grasp on the local language it was easy to maneuver and the staff was great for getting taxi cabs to take me to the place I wanted to go.

One question what brand is the bed? It was unbelievably comfortable. I guess I should probably invest in the grand bedding too!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent visit.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations, especially with our delicious food and forthcoming staff.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our unbelievably comfortable bed - the brand is King Koil and our linen is Quivera.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I would rate this a 4.5 star property....definitely one of the best in Shanghai, especially for those who like design-driven properties. Great location, service and amenities.

I stayed @ the end of February, right @ the tail end of Chinese New Year, and since it was the slow season, I took advantage of the hotel's "Stay 2 nights, get 1 night free" rate. But the prices are still on the high-end of the scale...about $350-$400/night for an Executive King; you get what you pay for, though.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive comments following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

It is our personalized level of service that we pride ourselves on, the propertie's design and layout, our great location and amenities - all these attributes combined lead to a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

A coworker recommended this hotel for my first visit to Shanghai. It's incredibly convenient - right above the subway, just across the highway from the French Concession, near Jing'an Temple and lots of great department store shopping. The entry and lobby really set the tone with a chic, Asian yet sexy feel. The room - it's like you took a great Vegas-sized room and Zen'd it. Absolutely loved it - spacious, great bed and bath facilities, and an amazing view of this part of Shanghai, especially with the lights at night. Even complimentary (non-liquor) minibar with beer, sodas, a few snacks and best of all - an in-room Nespresso machine.

So why a 4 instead of a 5? A few really important caveats:
- There is a pervasive cooking smell - fish? - around the elevators that bleeds into the lobby bar area and the room corridors. (Though, not into the rooms). Five of us stayed here as a group - at least two are not returning because of this.
- The rain shower (never my favorite, but good pressure) had only an occasional working relationship with hot water - and then, maintaining consistent temperature was random at best. One expects better at a five-star hotel.
- The Wi-Fi tells my phone and PC it's full-strength - but it's painfully slow and erratic. Some of this is likely due to Chinese censorship (like the fact that Facebook had about a 60% access rate) but generally, it's not really up to five-star hotel standards.
- Drink prices were randomly high even for a hotel bar - even though food prices weren't particularly absurd. (I hear this may just be a Shanghai thing, but getting a 210RMB ($32) bill for one drink of a not-particularly-fancy whiskey was a bit of a shock.)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your review on Trip Advisor following your stay with us earlier this month - thank you very much for taking the time to give us your positive and constructive feedback.

The smell you are referring to comes from the underground parking lot which is being repainted - unfortunately the smell coming from the epoxy paint does have somewhat of a "fishy" odor; this smell is temporary and will vanish by end of the week.

We have a broad variety of beverage choices priced from moderate to more expensive, depending on guest preferences and we are very much in line with our pricing policies in comparison with other five star establishments in Shanghai.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.