“Excellent service, beautiful decor”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #6 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Paris, France
“Excellent service, beautiful decor”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Worth spending a few days at Puli, great location, perfect service, more a "boutique" hotel than a large chain. Eat at Dim Tai Fung, next to Puli, visit Buddhist temple in the neighborhood, then explore with taxis other parts of Shanghai: three on the Bund with unico restaurant is particularly good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi recently.

I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed our great location and the great seights and eateries and that we exceeded your expectations from the warm and gracious service provided by our team members to the comfort level of our guest accommodations.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

With kindest regards,

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Neil & Diane (Toronto CANADA) After 2 weeks of trekking in Nepal and not being accustomed to all modern conveniences, we found this urban oasis; every detail and comfort has been well thought of with in room amenities and attention to design; attentive service from the staff was welcomed - we were spoiled and upgraded to a better suite on arrival; the complimentary mini-bar was an unexpected surprise; the concierge took great care of us from restaurant reservations and other asks - you name it they will manage it; the spa was to die for! We cannot think of a better hotel from location to comfort that would exceed the PuLi when visiting Shanghai. We intend to go back next Spring!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Neil and Diane,
I hope and trust your onwards travels were both exciting and fascinating.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay at The PuLi.

I am very happy to read you had such a great time and most importantly that our team members (expecially the Concierge team) were instrumental in making your visit such a success. They will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

The entire PuLi team joins me in looking forward to your return trip latest in spring - please let me know if I may be of any assistance whatsoever in the meantime.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel was one of the highlight of my recent trip to China. Definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The atmosphere was serenity in the heart of the city. The location was ideal for the first time traveller to Shanghai. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful. A special mention to our Butler, Elgar, who ensured that our room was maintained to a high standard and he was always available and able to provide valuable information. Stylish rooms, comfortable beds,
a free fully stocked and daily replenished minibar, good quality in room complimentary beverages, toiletries and, free daily laundry service all added to the unique experience at The PuLi.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our urban resort and that we were one of the highlights during your trip to China.

Thank you especially for recognizing Elgar our Butler for his outstanding service and for ensuring your room was well looked after. He will be very happy to read your comments on his looking after you.

Indeed, the amenities that are included in the Club package represent excellent value for money and are quite unique!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The PuLi is an exceptionally refined boutique hotel in the heart of Shanghai. As its name implies it is a spa as well as a hotel, and the ambiance reflects this. A calm ambiance envelops the visitor from the moment your taxi or car pass the hotel's gate. Everything inside is all polished but unhurried professionalism. The reception and check in area is an extension of a very Zen-feeling bar off the main lobby, and cocktails and appetizers may be enjoyed in a tranquil terrace surrounding the pool area as well. Rooms are well appointed, and the friendly staff makes every visit special whether one is discovering Shanghai for the first time or looking for new surprises after many visits. The PuLi is a real find, a world class hotel in one of the world's great cities

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lyn_Farmer
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The PuLi.

I am delighted that you found us and that you enjoyed our tranquil location in the heart of Shanghai with its Zen feeling .

Thank you especially for recognizing our friendly colleagues for their outstanding service who make it happen, day in day out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

A very good stay.
Positives:
1. amazingly great service - polite, intuitive, friendly, good communication, efficient - rare in China.
2. Upgraded on arrival - hurrah!
3. Really good food, nice menu and very prompt and pleasant room service.
4. Very comfortable bed - often they're rock hard in China.
5. FREE minibar in every room incl 2 half bottles of wine and 2 beers. Also included fresh milk to make tea/coffee in room - rare.
6. Ideal location for everything downtown/Jing An/French Concession.

Negatives:
Hardly anything except I would have liked an unobscured full-length mirror in my room, and bizarrely I found the lobby and flooring by my bed a bit too dark so I felt a bit wobbly sometimes like I was going to trip or bump into something. Maybe I'm just getting old!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time and effort in posting a review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am very happy to read that you had such a very good stay and that my team was successful in making your visit a pleasant one.

Delighted to read you enjoyed the upgrade and the overall guest room features and amenities and that you made good use of them as well!

Your point of having full length mirrors in all guest rooms is well noted.
We look forward to have you back very soon and in the meantime, I remain,

With kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The rooms are beautiful, with really comfortable beds and a free mini bar. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Great food, bar (with a lovely terrace space to relax) and a very convenient location. Genuinely one of the best hotels I have ever been too - highly recommend it to anyone visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The PuLi. I am thrilled that you had such a great time.

I am delighted that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations and that our beds are so comfortable and that you made full usage of our free mini bar. Yes indeed, the outdoor terrace is a very relaxing area, inmidst of the hustle and bustle.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized service delivery and I am happy to read that the team was able to deliver.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon when your travel plans take you back to Shanghai. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Toronto
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Puli is incredibly well done. First, it's beautiful. Gorgeous design with subtle, artistic nods to Chinese art throughout, but with an overall modern, contemporary feel. The room was large and fully equipped with comfortable beds. The staff really makes this place. You truly cannot feel more well treated than at this hotel. Everyone from the desk to the restaurant to the door people are incredibly helpful. Martin, one of the front desk managers, was unbelievably nice, remembered our names and talked to us regularly about China and how our stay was going. If you can swing it, book the Club level rooms. Includes a butler service that responds instantly to any need. I got sick and had the butler and 3 people at the concierge desk looking up the medicine I needed in Chinese. they called the pharmacy to make sure they had the medicine, then wrote the words down in Chinese for me to give to the pharmacist. Super helpful. Club level also includes check in and out at any time, free mini bar stocked with alcohol, free daily breakfast (which is outstanding, truly!) , free daily laundry service (10 items washed every day is a real bonus if you're staying a few days), a $70 credit at the bar for drinks every day. Outside on the streets of Shanghai, it's mayhem, so when you come back to the Puli, it's like returning to an oasis. To get a good rate, book 50 days in advance and the rate is reduced by 40%, which makes it a true deal. You are located in the financial district and surrounded by a lot of Prada and Hugo Boss. Venture away from this to see the more interesting aspects of Shanghai. The metro is easy, cheap, clean and safe and will take you everywhere.

Room Tip: Book Club level rooms for a real treat on service and lots of extras that make the trip nicer.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time spent in posting such a great review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am delighted to read you were very satisfied with your stay and that the entire team made your visit such a pleasant experience. We all hope you are well recovered and are feeling much better!

I appreciate you writing about Martin our Lobby Manager - Martin is indeed an asset to our team as he knows most of our valued guests by name and he makes our patrons feel at home and at ease. Martin will be delighted to note that his enthusiasm and outgoing personality is appreciated and recognized.

I fully concur with you - Club benefits represent excellent value ads and offer meaningful services you would normally have to pay extra and the 50-day advance booking offer makes it even sweeter!

My entire team looks forward to welcome you back to our oasis, inmidst of the hustle and bustle, and if there is anything I may be of assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.