“"I'd rather be at the Puli"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The PuLi Hotel and Spa

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“"I'd rather be at the Puli"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I usually classify the hotels we visit in Asia in 3 categories "Magical","Superb" and "Excellent". I had to come up with a new one for the Puli "Divine".
No need to repeat the accurate and smart comments already posted here.
However I wondered about this marvelous fennel scent as you go through the doors, giving the magnificent lobby a sense of peace and calm. (How do you get such a large area to retain a scent for so long??)
Also a charming young lady from management greeted us personally on several occasions sharing her travel experiences with us and making us feel at home.
My favorites things at the Puli:
-Breakfast at the elegant and exquisite Jing'An Restaurant, a perfect way to start the day
-A drink at the beautiful and tranquil outdoor patio, a perfect way to end it.
Thank you to the staff of the Puli for all their hard work.
We would not think about staying anywhere else the next time we visit Shanghai!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Everybodyknows
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

Wow, my team and I are humbled by your kind words of appreciation and this just shows that our hard work and dedication is noticed and appreciated!

I am very happy that our culinary team made such lasting memories during your stay; from the delicious and complete breakfast buffet to the beautiful and tranquil, outdoor Garden Terrace.

The scent you are referring to is a combination of essential and natural oils. The blend is a mixture of Lavender, Geranium, Peppermint, Mandarin and a few others.....

I look very much forward to welcoming the both of you back when you are next in Shanghai.
Until then, I remain,

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the PuLi for one night on November 10th - and it was by far the best hotel we stayed at in the city, and one of the best I have experienced in the world.

What sets the PuLi apart is not only great location, fantastic decor, and amazing food - it's above all stellar service. Jana, the Rooms Division Manager, is truly stellar and what all hospitality managers should strive to be like. Hospitable, helpful, kind, a real pleasure to deal with.

We were in part celebrating my birthday and the PuLi made it that much more unforgettable - champagne, a small cake, and a room upgrade. I would by far recommend the PuLi over any other hotel in Shanghai!

Oh and one last note - the pool is splendid. 25 meters, all to yourself, with great lighting. Couldn't get better.

Room Tip: Studio rooms have corner views - very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post your lovely review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi. Thank you so much.

My team and I are delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your time, albeit too short of a visit.
We strive everyday to deliver the best experiences to our guests and we are extremely grateful when these are being recognized. Your words of praise will go a long way, especially your positive mention of Jana, our Rooms Division Manager. Jana is definitely an asset to our hotel with her hospitable and efficient management style.

We all look forward to welcoming you both back at the very latest by your next birthday!
Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistancd whatsoever.

International
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Puli is a hidden gem very much under the radar versus more famous hotels; but this is part of it's charm. Superbly run, in the heart of Jing'An, it really feels like an oasis of calm despite location in between two of the cities busiest roads; simply so very quiet! The reception area, that doubles as the lobby bar looks unto - for lack of a better way of describing it - an infinity panoramic pond which really makes you feel you're elsewhere instead of right in the middle of the bustle. The French Jing'An restaurant is excellent, the entire property's decoration very stylish and service impeccable as well as friendly. The location allows you to access one of the most important metro stations (Jing'An Temple), only 3 minutes away, plus of course the hotel can arrange taxis to arrive at entrance. Failing this a two minute walk unto Tongren Road or Nanjing road does just as well. Some of Shanghai's best malls are nearby for those wishing to shop, not to mention the Portman, a very convenient meeting spot for meetings. In fact, the location is perfect to travel in any direction. The Spa is excellent and they also have a very good wine list by the glass. And for those concerned, this property has security measures in place that some bigger names do not.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at the PuLi Hotel and Spa - the hidden gem, and for posting such a great review.

I am delighted to know that every aspect of your experience was excellent. Peaceful and calm envionment inmidst the hustle and bustle, delicious food and attentive service, a great spa and superior location are most definitely trademarks for success!

It is extremely gratifying to receive such feedback from our guests and I am overwhelmed each time by the commitment of our team to create such fond memories for our guests.

My team and I hope that you will plan another stay with us soon!

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Worth spending a few days at Puli, great location, perfect service, more a "boutique" hotel than a large chain. Eat at Dim Tai Fung, next to Puli, visit Buddhist temple in the neighborhood, then explore with taxis other parts of Shanghai: three on the Bund with unico restaurant is particularly good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi recently.

I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed our great location and the great seights and eateries and that we exceeded your expectations from the warm and gracious service provided by our team members to the comfort level of our guest accommodations.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Neil & Diane (Toronto CANADA) After 2 weeks of trekking in Nepal and not being accustomed to all modern conveniences, we found this urban oasis; every detail and comfort has been well thought of with in room amenities and attention to design; attentive service from the staff was welcomed - we were spoiled and upgraded to a better suite on arrival; the complimentary mini-bar was an unexpected surprise; the concierge took great care of us from restaurant reservations and other asks - you name it they will manage it; the spa was to die for! We cannot think of a better hotel from location to comfort that would exceed the PuLi when visiting Shanghai. We intend to go back next Spring!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Neil and Diane,
I hope and trust your onwards travels were both exciting and fascinating.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay at The PuLi.

I am very happy to read you had such a great time and most importantly that our team members (expecially the Concierge team) were instrumental in making your visit such a success. They will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

The entire PuLi team joins me in looking forward to your return trip latest in spring - please let me know if I may be of any assistance whatsoever in the meantime.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel was one of the highlight of my recent trip to China. Definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The atmosphere was serenity in the heart of the city. The location was ideal for the first time traveller to Shanghai. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful. A special mention to our Butler, Elgar, who ensured that our room was maintained to a high standard and he was always available and able to provide valuable information. Stylish rooms, comfortable beds,
a free fully stocked and daily replenished minibar, good quality in room complimentary beverages, toiletries and, free daily laundry service all added to the unique experience at The PuLi.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our urban resort and that we were one of the highlights during your trip to China.

Thank you especially for recognizing Elgar our Butler for his outstanding service and for ensuring your room was well looked after. He will be very happy to read your comments on his looking after you.

Indeed, the amenities that are included in the Club package represent excellent value for money and are quite unique!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The PuLi is an exceptionally refined boutique hotel in the heart of Shanghai. As its name implies it is a spa as well as a hotel, and the ambiance reflects this. A calm ambiance envelops the visitor from the moment your taxi or car pass the hotel's gate. Everything inside is all polished but unhurried professionalism. The reception and check in area is an extension of a very Zen-feeling bar off the main lobby, and cocktails and appetizers may be enjoyed in a tranquil terrace surrounding the pool area as well. Rooms are well appointed, and the friendly staff makes every visit special whether one is discovering Shanghai for the first time or looking for new surprises after many visits. The PuLi is a real find, a world class hotel in one of the world's great cities

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lyn_Farmer
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The PuLi.

I am delighted that you found us and that you enjoyed our tranquil location in the heart of Shanghai with its Zen feeling .

Thank you especially for recognizing our friendly colleagues for their outstanding service who make it happen, day in day out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.