“Elegant, Sophisticated, Stylish”

Ranked #6 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
new york
“Elegant, Sophisticated, Stylish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I recently completed a five night stay at this very elegant property in Shanghai. From arrival to departure the hotel was a delight. Located in a buzzy business and shopping district a short cab ride away from the Bund, one immediately feels you are in a familiar place. All the international luxury stores are moments away but as a counterpoint there is a beautiful park and Buddhist temple reminding you that you are in China. The hotel itself is Asian contemporary done in a dark sexy minimalist style with all the right understated touches. Public areas are tasteful and always a great soundtrack of lounge music playing.

The rooms are spacious and again understated but clearly refer to the place evident in the architectural details and rich warm materials used in the decoration.

A very high level of service, discreet and polite and always there when you need or want something. Great concierge staff too.

Breakfasts were delicious with a huge selection of western and Chinese choices. Great gym and facilities.

Overall a sexy sophisticated contemporary hotel that gets everything right!

Thank you!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your time and efforts in commenting on your recent stay with us at The PuLi - thank you very much for your generous feedback!

I was happy to read that you had such a delightful time during your stay and that the overall location and facilities were to your liking, especially the serenity and calm of the hotels interior accompanied by great musical soundtracks.

Your comments on the high levels of service of our colleagues, especially our Concierge was particularly satisfying for me to read - I will be very happy to share your observations with the team so that they can appreciate your kind words.

I do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future and remain, with kindest regards.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This is one of the BEST hotels in which I have ever stayed! anywhere in the world. Finding the place can be tricky. The driver tried to drop me at The Swissotel by telling me it was the same place, just a different name. The doorman at the Swissotel was very helpful and explained in perfect English that my driver was lost. After a few minutes we arrived at the front entrance of the Puli which is tucked away around the side of a large building. Walking into the hotel one is immediately struck by the lounge like feel of the lobby; an eclectic mix of Chinese / Asian furniture and decorative pieces mixed with an almost NYC vibe. Very cool! The front desk staff wee fantastic. They had a relaxed, efficient and friendly demeanor that matches the hotel's general "personality" perfectly. After a very quick check-in I was shown to my room and given a guided tour of the layout and facilities, including the hair dryer which as I am as bald-as-a-coot drew a laugh from me and the bell staff! The room is exquisite. Perfectly laid out with plenty of storage, a free mini bar (!!!!)' fantastic shower, great work area and a bath with a view of one of Shanghai's ubiquitous freeways and a Park! The rooms' dark and warm interior is a peaceful haven after a day in the chaotic mayhem that is Shanghai. It makes NYC feel relaxed! The fitness center is great. There is a early good spinning cycle plus a wide range if exercise equipment. Food ... well that is also terrific. The options are limited but of the highest quality. I particularly enjoyed the Corned Beef sandwich. I know ... but it was fantastic! I didn't get to try the Spa but have that at the top of my list for my next trip! This hotel is just awesome. Try it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your most generous feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

We are so proud to be referred to as being one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in anywhere in the world.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our urban resort feel and that its vibe, design and layout from the lobby to your room, to our efficient and friendly staff was a total success and made you feel relaxed and cozy.

I am also pleased that our sizeable guest room was a complete success in terms of layout, space and amenities and that you made the most of it.

I concur that the culinary delights of Chef Michael are terrific and of highest quality and I am pleased that you enjoyed it so much.

My team and look forward to welcoming you back soon to our peaceful haven.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Very nice room, elegant hotel and good service. I stayed only one night but everything seemed great.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel compared to other hotels with similar prices.
Would absolutely go back there next time i go to Shanghai

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments following your experience at The PuLi last May.

Your appreciation about the room, overall services and hotel design are really very special and well received!. We are glad to know that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay with us.

The team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, perhaps for a few days longer so that you can experience all amenities The PuLi has to offer.

Warm regards,

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I traveled down from Beijing for a business meeting in Shanghai. Sadly, we could only stay for one night, because we had such a delightful visit that made us want to stay longer. the Puli is a design gem - it truly feels like an urban sanctuary, a peaceful respite in the midst of Shanghai's bustle.
The Long Bar and first floor lobby had a great buzz: great music, wonderful lighting, couples and business conversations that looked like they just stepped out of a Wallpaper magazine - in terms of hip factor it made cool LA/NYC hotels seem like a Holiday Inn in Des Moines.
We loved our luxurious room, and I loved my time in the gym and male locker room spa - the hammam hot stone, and sauna/steam were perfect.
We actually got to have dinner at the 2nd floor restaurant, which was really pleasurable. Loved the breadbasket and attentive service. veggie options abounded for us !

Finally, we were a stone's throw away from the Portman, which meant we could walk over to our conference at a moment's notice, and then retreat to the Puli at any moment.

I cannot wait to return to the Puli !

Room Tip: Suite was amazing !
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tomer R
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us and I am glad you chose The PuLi for your short visit whilst on business in Shanghai.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our urban sanctuary with its soothing design and peaceful ambiance and amenities and that you were able to walk to your nearby meetings from the hotel.

I am especially thrilled that we were able to cater to you on a culinary basis with our vegetarian dishes, our Long Bar and breakfast offerings and that the service by our attentive colleagues was equally to your satisfaction.

We truly appreciate your advocacy for The PuLi and look forward to welcoming you back.
In the interim, I remain at your service.

With kindest regards,

Charlottenlund, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

After a great hotel experience it's tempting to write long colorful reviews. In this case it's really not needed as there is not much to say beyond: Puli is one of Shanghai's 3 best hotels. Period. Ad to that a fantastic location for everybody with business in Puxi, flawless action by the staff and the best interior in China.

An easy choice: For me, yes!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ittaikan
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Wow, thank you very much for your most generous review following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am so delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations on all levels and will be pleased to share you positive feedback with the entire team.

It is always gratifying to know that service, design and location were a "home run".

My team and I look very much forward to your return visit and if I may be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

With kindest regards,

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed from Friday to Sunday at the Puli and it was a wonderful little getaway with one or two minor hiccups! First we arrived by car but the entrance was a little confusing so we ended up driving in from the exit and was promptly scolded by the hotel bellboy. Not the best first impression. Next we arrived at the check in and it took the staff a little while to noticed that I was waiting. Not a huge problem as I was not in a hurry. The hotel was gorgeous and you walk into a great licorice (anise) scent that was calming and lovely at the lobby. The room itself was spacious and the bed was heavenly! Bath amenities were nice and generous ( loved the shampoo, conditioner and bath gels!) the only problem is when you slide the partition from the bathroom and bedroom the silkscreen is see through so privacy is limited. Nespresso machine was a nice touch! Unfortunately, it was such a short trip that I didn't get to check out too much around the hotel but I loved it so much I'll be staying at the Puli again this coming April and will for sure check out the spa and the rest of the hotel so that I can give a more detailed review! All in all, this is a lovely hotel and the location is fantastic and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2014
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a lovely review following your staycation at The PuLi earlier this month.

Please accept my apologies for the initial welcome - you are absolutely correct in saying "first impression is a lasting one"!

I am very pleased to read that you noticed our hotel scent and I am equally happy that you enjoyed our spacious guest rooms and overall amenities - we get a lot of positive feedback on these.

My entire team and I look very much forward to welcoming you back in April so that you can experience the entire range of our facilities and services.

Thank you for recommending The PuLi and please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance whatsoever.

Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had a wonderful stay. The staff are so helpful and friendly. The room was fabulous and I enjoyed every minute of my stay. The spa experience for me was great. The breakfast had great variety and delicious. So all things considered a terrific place to stay and I will come again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The PuLi with everyone.
I am grateful for both your time and feedback.

It is a great pleasure to read how much you enjoyed our services and I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations in so many regards, especially with our friendly and helpful staff, our fabulous guest accommodations to our great Spa and culinary delights.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.