“Splendid and Unforgettabld Stay”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #6 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Taipei, Taiwan
“Splendid and Unforgettabld Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Top one hotel in SH. World Class service and facilities. must stay whenever in SH. this is the best stay experience I have never had in SH. Thanks for the Puli's devotion that makes the City better and humanity.

• Stayed April 2014
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic feedback from your recent experience at The PuLi.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our World Class service and facilities and that we were able to make your stay the best one ever in Shanghai!
You have indeed made me very proud of our team who work very hard to ensure our guests are very well looked after.

Thank you for your advocacy and look I forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have stayed there a few times in the past two years, both with my girlfriend. The decor is beautiful and the room is furnished with adequate gadgets. The staffs were nowhere close to being overly friendly, sometime even distant, but they do help you out when you need it.
I needed an umbrella and was wiling to buy one, but a young man just gave me one. That was really pleasant. Also, the breakfast was not bad. Not as good as those provided in hotels in big resorts, but excellent comparing to its counterparts in Shanghai.

My only complaint is that the decor is getting aged and it's visible. I wish they would do a renovation soon, otherwise the modern-historic feel of the hotel may not sustain for too long.

Room Tip: Pick a suite. It's worth the money.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your comments and for your loyalty with The PuLi.

I was very happy to read that your return visit to our urban resort was a repeat success and thank you for your continuous patronage.

Your constructive feedback has been very well received and we will certainly evaluate it with the entire team.

You will be happy to know that we have ongoing maintenance programs throughout all areas of the hotel to ensure proper upkeep and timely updates.

Your observations will make us better moving forward and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when your travels take you back to Shanghai.

In the meanwhile, I remain,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is among the finest hotel experiences in the world. The decor, style, and service are unmatched. Feel free to stay at the stodgy Penninsula, or the pretentious Peace Hotel surrounded by loud laowai. This place is the ultimate in low key international Eurocool. Request a room overlooking the park - on a lower floor if possible, to appreciate some greenery and spy some authentic early am Tai Chi. Spend the early morning in the pool. Enter like Zack Galifianakis, exit like Daniel Craig! We love this place.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity, ask for Mr. Zhang, the Front Office Manager. He will take great care o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Wow, thank you for your lovely comments following your stay with us.

My team and I are thrilled to read that we were able to give you one of the finest experiences.

It is always great to hear that all elements, from decor, locaton and most of all service attitude were in sync to ensure you felt comfortable and looked after.

I am especially appreciative to read that Daniel our Front Office Manager was highlighted in your review - he will be equally happy to know that his hard work and great personality played a vital role in the success towards your stay.

The entire Puli Team looks forward to your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance whatsoever.

With kindest regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Sexy in the city - what a nice surprise - perhaps one of my fav city hotels to date. Really stunning venue - great service especially from concierge. Shanghai also pleasant surprise! Small details everywhere - all elegant - great scent throughout the hotel. Stunning bar and great restaurant. Sorry we missed their high tea which looked AMAZING. Rooms very comfy and high end. Not cheap but a great city hotel - we look forward to discovering more from the Urban Resorts group. We loved it! (Great neighborhood for shopping and the Green Line - metro - is a minutes walk.)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JacoG
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,

My team and I would like to thank you so much for having taken the time to share these wonderful comments with us.

I am very touched and delighted that you enjoyed our overall services and especially our Concierge team. And yes, you must try our afternoon tea when you are next in house!

It was a pleasure for us to create all the small details in our Urban Resort in such a vibrant and exciting part of the city and an even more gratifying one when our guests pick up on them and comment on them so graciously.

My team and I already look forward to welcoming you back to one of your favorite city hotels to date soon.

With kind regards,

Jan B. TIbaldi
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Puli for 5 nights in March/April while on a short holiday break and were not disappointed with our selection. We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were pleased that the Puli matched what was written. Our room was on the 22nd floor and we had great views out over the city. The staff are super friendly and efficient and seemed to almost fall over each other to help us out. We had drinks and a snack most evenings in the Long bar and the selection was excellent. The free mini bar was a surprise and a nice touch.
We didn't have breakfast on any morning but did eat in the restaurant one night and really enjoyed what we had. The switches for the blinds did take a bit of working out but once mastered had no issues. A great place to stay in Shanghai in a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RocketMelbourne
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review following your stay with us at The PuLi.

My team and I are delighted to read that we were successful in ensuring that you were efficiently looked after and that your every needs were met in a friendly manner.

We do put a lot of energy and focus in training and courtesy without being too formal and I can see it is paying dividends.

I look forward to your return visit and please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you need any assistance whatsoever.

In the meantime I remain,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My most recent stay was the 2nd time I stayed at The Puli, and I was not disappointed. Another amazing repeat performance from the staff. Check-in/Check-out was always prompt, no lines at all. I was always greeted by the staff, and they remembered me from my previous stay, which was a nice touch.

Free mini-bar is a rare thing to find, and while it does leave some things to be desired as the selection is not as wide, you still get a great spread of soft drinks, juices, water, and even Tsing Tao beers waiting for you, nice and cold.

The hotel has a zen feel, and is very relaxing. I stayed at quite a few higher-end hotels recently, including the W Hotel Hong Kong, and Intercontinental Hong Kong, and the rooms at The Puli were of the highest quality. No cheap facades, or toiletries.

The breakfast at the Jing'An restaurant on the 2nd floor is great, because it is made to order - unlike many other restaurants that have breakfast buffets and have food under heat lamps.

Location is great too, just a short walk to Nanjing Road, that offers a few different malls, including high-end shops like Hermes, etc… and smaller stores. You will also find a Uniqlo, Zara Home, and the Han City Fashion Mall (Bootleg mall) within walking distance of the hotel.

It's the only place I'll stay when visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MRKPMNTL
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for returning to The PuLi and for commenting in details about your recent stay with us.

I was most pleased to note that your 2nd time back was another amazing repeat, especially in regards to the overall service and recognition. My team will be happy to read that their efforts have not gone unnoticed.

I am very greatful of your patronage and look very much forward to welcoming you back soon when you are next in Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I really wish I can give 5-star rating for The Puli but there are some points that made me change my mind and gave it a 4 instead. Let's elaborate further shall we?

Positive:
+ Ambiance. This is a very strong selling point of The Puli. As a guest, you really feel relaxed and comfortable. There is this sense of sophistication and a dash of elegance all around the property. You don't see hordes of notorious local Chinese tourists and their massive suitcases, you don't see massive tour buses park in the lobby. Instead, you get to see businessmen and businesswomen, "hipsters", couples, etc who are just there to enjoy the relaxing and quiet ambiance
+ Decor. You just cannot fault The Puli's design. It's very zen. It's very classy. It's very calming. It's simplistic in nature yet sophisticated in detail
+ Room. The room is large and very modern. Minibar is always stocked. Bathroom amenities is of high quality. Big bathtub, beautiful view, big flat screen TV, nice bed, what else can you ask for?
+ Room service. Orders were delivered in 30 minutes. Set-up was very beautiful. High quality china and silverware. The taste of the food was amazing. It was very very very good
+ Breakfast. Excellent offering, high quality ingredients, nice china and silverware. Very-very good value!
+ Gym is small but adequate and the machines are maintained well. The gym is also tastefully decorated
+ The swimming pool. It's mind blowing! Very beautiful and pleasing in the eyes. Very quiet and kept very clean. The changing room, the sauna, the steam room, the jacuzzi, everything is of high quality material.
+ The spa. An incredible experience! A bit expensive but well worth the money. Much better than The Banyan Tree Spa
+ Location. It's very conveniently located in the heart of Jing An district :)

Now, a few things that I think deserve attention from the management (and why I didn't give 5 star for this review)
* Too many switches in the room to control the curtains, lights, tv, etc. I got so confused just to turn off the lights in the room
* One morning, we were rushed several times to finish breakfast and asked to leave as the restaurant was going to be set-up for lunch
* Upon arrival, we were escorted to our room by the front desk staff. We then entered the elevator with the front desk staff. As the doors were about to close, suddenly another staff blocked the door and pushed himself in the elevator. We were shocked with his manner as he clearly knew he saw there were guests in the elevator. he could have waited for a different elevator or just use the stairs as he only needed to go from the ground floor to the second floor. The front desk staff did apologize for this rude behaviour from his colleague though
* The front desk staff failed to notice that we had changed our reservation and the some other perks we had requested. We had changed our stay from one night only to two nights but upon check-in, the check-in staff was puzzled. We also asked for a bottle of champagne to be prepared and chilled upon our arrival. This order was not acknowledged and seemed to be forgotten until my partner flagged one of the staff. Mind you that everything was done in e-mails prior to our arrival. We even indicated what time we would arrive in the e-mail.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back and stay at The Puli again. Either for business trip or for staycation, The Puli offers solid product, high-quality food, and a relaxing environment. It gives the sense of exclusivity without being snobbish. I am very sure The Puli will be able to keep its guests away from competition next door, the Jing An Shangri-la.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Jing An park. Otherwise, you will be given a room facing Kerry Center, a massiv...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NLY39739
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback from your recent staycation with us at The PuLi.

I am delighted to note that you and your husband had an overall great stay with us and that we were generally successful in ensuring you were comfortable and relaxed and well looked after.

In particular I was pleased to read that the ambiance, decor, modern and sizeable room product and amazing food met your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I was disappointed to learn that your check-in experience was not as straightforward and smooth as it should have been. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor impression in not recognizing all reservation details you so kindly communicated. Furthermore, I am happy to inform you that we have rectified the other service issues you pointed out so as to avoid any re-occurrence.

Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I do hope to have the opportunity to personally meet you when you are next in our neighborhood.

In the meantime, I remain at your service.