“Spectacular setting but not five star service unfortunately!”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Brisbane
“Spectacular setting but not five star service unfortunately!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very beautiful hotel very similar to the Sukothai in Bangkok with water features and lovely Asian touches within a modern aesthetic. Some staff do struggle with written English, so my request for a brunch reservation for 3 adults and 1 baby seat resulted in an offer of a baby crib and a sofa bed with a recommended room upgrade for an increased price. My Chinese friend called and clarified and also confirmed that I had previously requested a blanket and did not want a duvet, and would be arriving late at 11 pm. On arrival I was told that all the blankets were being used so slept with 2 folded over duvet covers at the sensible suggestion of house keeping. Next morning was told by the duty manager that I would only receive a blanket subject to a guest who had one checking out! Informed the manager that I could go across the street to buy one for a fraction of the room tariff which got me nowhere till I stated that I would take the matter directly with the GM on the Monday. I did write to him and received a prompt and courteous response. The service was otherwise friendly and helpful especially in the restaurant and the setting overlooking the park is unique. However as this is China unless you are staying in the Peninsula,Four Seasons or Amanresorts where they have a proportion of trained staff from their hotels outside of China, any requests out of the ordinary can be a struggle. Do eat in the hotel restaurant especially the very reasonable brunch which had a limited choice of high quality produce together with individually prepared courses. They are also very helpful and tolerant of 2 year old children!

Room Tip: Rooms on a high floor facing the park are spectacular similar to the views of the imperial temple fr...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your last stay with us. I am delighted to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

You are absolutely correct in pointing out that without proper English communication things can and will go awry in any organization.
We therefore place English language skills as a very high priority training module within the hotel and hold regular beginner's-and intermediate classes for our front and back of house team members. This module is ongoing and I can assure you that heavy importance is placed on this.

I am happy that you found our service friendly and helpful especially in the restaurant and that you enjoyed our food and very reasonably priced Sunday brunch.

My team and I look very much forward to welcome you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance whatsoever.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Checked into Puli for 3d2n stay. 1st impression after getting out of a cab is that the hotel doesn't have a grand lobby. Looks more like an entrance to a spa.

Check in was a breeze. They have very nice rooms here. Good view out to the city. Bathtub by the window. Exactly what you see in their pictures.

Location is right next to the subway. Convenient to get around.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us from check-in to room layout, grand views from the guest room window front, service and our proximate location to subway and public transportation.

I can fully emphasize on your feeling of sense of arrival/entrance when driving to our porte cochere to encounter that we do not have a grand driveway per say - we consider ourselves to be very different from the "mainstream genre" which makes us so unique and special.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you are next in Shanghai again.

Until then, I remain,

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I do not have anything but great things to say about this graceful, classy, peaceful oasis in the center of Shanghai. It really feels like an escape from the chaos of China. Impeccable service, beautiful rooms, great gym. Fantastic - look forward to the next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor post your stay with us.

We are humbled by your words of appreciation for our peaceful oasis in the centre of Shanghai. It is indeed an escape from the Chaos as you so rightly put it.

We are glad to know that you were pleased with our rooms, the gym facility and thought that our service was fantastic.

My team and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here almost a year ago, but after visiting so many other "5 star" properties around Asia, this is by far one of my favorites! We stayed at the Puli for 10 days before permanently moving to Shanghai, and although this review is very overdue, every time I pass this hotel I want to go back! The location is next to a metro line, across the street from a large shopping district, as well as walking distance to the former French Concession area where you can find many restaurants, cafes and boutiques. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated, have excellent bathroom products, and most importantly - a comfortable bed (if you travel around Asia, you'll understand). I also should mention that the bathtubs have a great city view that makes for a very relaxing evening. Housekeeping always cleaned and replenished the room nicely, and other than one incident with a host during breakfast one morning, the rest of the staff was cordial and helpful. I would definitely recommend staying here! We no longer stay in hotels in Shanghai since we live here, but we've been back to their Garden Terrace bar for drinks, and would also highly recommend making a stop there as well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trisha C
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your lovely review on trip advisor.

My team and I are thrilled to know we were your home last year before you found yourself a residence in Shanghai.

I was very happy to note that you found our urban resort to be conveniently located in the heart of action and easily accessible via the metro.

It is always encouraging to hear compliments on our accommodations especially our bathtubs with a view ,comfortable beds and even more about our housekeeping team's friendly and efficient level of service.

Having an outdoor Garden Terrace is also a rare commodity and with the weather being so kind I could not agree more, it is the place to be. Thank you for recommending our urban resort and my team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back whenever you make a pit stop here.

Baranzate, Italy
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

i visite shanghai every month for one week and i always stay at this hotel: every single detail is taken with a lot of attention, the sensation is to be hosted in a non-urban/business hotel although many italian business people stay here. I changed only twice in the last 2 years visiting once the Waterhouse on the Bund ans the Shangri la' but i was disappointed. Choose the "club room" which includes 24hrs butler, free laundring service, complimentary menu at the bar on the bottom floor and 20% discount on the SPA (must visit)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Roberto R
Dear Guest,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide such a wonderful review of your stay with us.

I am so happy that you have found the PuLi to be your hotel of choice in Shanghai and am delighted that our service and facilities are to your liking. Especially our Club benefits they truly represent such great value and choice. Thank you for appreciating the level of commitment to the minutest detail. The reason why we have such a loyal repeat guest ratio is the fact that we focus our energies in being guest centric.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm and friendly service delivery and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Our Butlers team and I look forward to your return visit next month and remain,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Ok; this is going to be my place to be in Shanghai. Perfect service excellent location and rooms. Good breakfast but expensive. Search until you find a good rate. And believe me choose and option with breakfast included. If you stay good part of the day or was here at the middle of your trip; they have a good packages for a reasonable rate for they include extra / but at the beginning of your trip or you be out of the hotel all day doesn't make sense. All you can find on your rooms bar is free or included on your rate. Definitely a luxury hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Abcderne
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TA following your stay with us at The PuLi.

We are happy to note that The Puli will be your place to be whenever you are in Shanghai. We have some great promotions and packages ongoing as you rights pointed out and booking in advance will give you the best advantage.

I am very happy that your keen eye enjoyed both hardware and software and that the entire team at The PuLi was able to deliver.

We look very much forward to having you return in the near future and remain,

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Branded as an “urban oasis” in the heart of Shanghai, The PuLi manages to successfully achieve a feeling of serenity that is difficult to find amidst the bustle of China’s largest city. Similarly, the interior design is a departure from the collective style usually associated with conventional luxury hotels—while the hotel is undoubtedly Chinese, it could almost pass as a resort in South East Asia. This, along with a fully equipped gym, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, infinity pool, and spa helps to create a new, unique guest experience that makes The PuLi a blissful escape from an otherwise hectic city.

While the physical attributes of the hotel are impressive, it is the service provided by the well trained staff that truly sets this property apart. I found the front desk and concierge teams to be incredibly efficient and great at following up on reservations and tours. The team at the hotel restaurant, Jing'an, were equally attentive and accommodating, especially at breakfast. After spending a few weeks traveling around other parts of China with only basic Mandarin speaking skills, it was a tremendous relief to stay at a hotel with a strong English speaking staff.

Although you certainly have your choice of lovely hotels in Shanghai, I would encourage trying something different than your basic, luxury hotel chain. As a boutique hotel with a strong emphasis on service, The PuLi truly offers a rare and wonderful experience for anyone visiting China.

Room Tip: Reserve a room that overlooks Jing’An park/ Jing’an Temple (these are odd numbered rooms)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank piperstremmel
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your comments posted on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The PuLi.

I am delighted you chose to stay at our urban oasis and I am very pleased that all our colleagues were able to deliver the high standards of quality service during your stay with us making it an unforgettable experience .

It is always gratifying to read that pretty much everything within your stay was such a success - from the hotel's ideal location, great interiors, lovely spa and superb service by the team. We lay tremendous emphasis spoken English training, so glad to see it has been fruitful.

The Front Desk, Concierge and the Jing’An restaurant team will be truly flattered with your kind words of encouragement.

All team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to our calm environment in midst the hustle and bustle of Shanghai in the near future and hope to offer another rare and wonderful experience.

Kindest regards,