“Asian Elegance and Style”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 30 April 2010

We stayed at The Puli earlier this month at the recommendation of a colleague who visits Shanghai very often and stayed in a number of great hotels in the city. I am now convinced that my colleague has great taste!

The hotel is well located as it is surounded by shopping areas but also next to the small Jing An Park which is a delight to walk into in the morning. The decoration is elegant, modern and luxurious. The rooms are comfortable and of good size. The espresso machine in the room is a nice touch as I like good coffee.

The only area where I would say there is a need for improvement is breakfast where the buffet seems to be full of pastries, bread, fruit and yogurt but nothing much else that would wet our appetites. We had ala carte breakfast in the end but english breakfast needs to improve in my humble opinion.

Apart from the breakfast issue which is personal I only have positive things to say about the hotel. The decoration, atmosphere and service are great.

I will definitely go back to The Puli to stay weither work or leisure. I owe my colleague a favour now, he was right about how great The Puli is.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
pulipr, Public Relations Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2010

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

For our buffet breakfast in Jing’An Restaurant, in addition to the wide range of fruit, yogurt, pastries and bread that are baked fresh daily, there are two pages of hot breakfast items containing Western and Asian selections that are prepared upon order so it arrives hot on your table. There are also another three breakfast options (all included in the room rate as well) you can choose from on your next stay with us – breakfast by the Long Bar, in-room breakfast via The PuLi Home Delivery and breakfast-on-the-go.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed 19 April 2010

We had 2 rooms next to each other for a family vacation with teens for a week. Hotel's location is excellent, near lovely Jing'an park, a couple of Metro lines, Nanjing Road... no trouble getting cabs. Some construction nearby, but then there doesn't appear to be anyplace in Shanghai these days that's not true.

Staff was lovely and attentive. Rooms were quite large and airy, beds very comfortable and amenities nice. Our only real issue was that the thermostate seemed to have a mind of its own...and it wanted to be somewhere between 21-23C, which at night was *much* too warm for us to sleep comfortably. We asked management several times to fix it, they tried and eventually, to their credit, offered to move us to a nicer room which was *slightly* better, but we still found that we were unable to put the heat down below 20C (~70F).

Hotel overall was an excellent value, breakfast less so but lots of variety and again, lovely staff.

Pool is lovely, very quiet. Massages at spa were INTENSE.
We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
pulipr, PR Team at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2010

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we are glad you loved the hotel, pool and spa. We are looking into the thermostat concern and hope you will return to stay in our cool rooms soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I am quite a picky traveller and PuLi had satisfy most of my expectation. The room is spacious than the normal boutique hotel, hotel staff are helpful although they didn't speak good english, still try their best to help (hey, we are in China, please pay respect to those whose English is not their mother tongue), in-room facilities are nicely set but you have to use a bit common sense to press the faucet of the sink. The downside is there are iron steel stain along the bathtub at the faucet area so I hope the management could look into this matter. Whilst one could enjoy a nice bath in the bathtub, it's quite a crucial point the management should look into this matter.

Jing'An Restaurant, quite a disappointment though as I went there according to the recommendation of Time Out magazine. I conveyed my opinion to the french guy (I think he's the manager) so I hope things would improve upon my return later this month. I have to agree the layout of the restaurant is just so-so.

Location wise is brilliant as it's close to metro station (few minutes walk...although I take taxi normally) and took me a few minutes to return to hotel from Xintiandi at 3 or 4am in the morning. Taxi to Taikang Street in day time is about 10-15 minutes.

Shanghai is in full force to finish all the final touches for Expo so construction sites are all over. Kind of hard to avoid the street noise though.

As the hotel is still on a start-up basis (opened in Sep 2009), I hope the management will look into the minor details (like refill tea or coffee during breakfast time) and have them rectified. It is indeed a very nice hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Although Park Hyatt is not a bad choice, neither my favourite Grand Hyatt nor Hyatt on the Bund can keep up with it. How interesting people would mentioned PH in here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I have stayed in many top hotels around the world in the past few years and The Puli Shanghai is one of those that really impressed me. The room design is stylish yet functional. Unlike the overdone boutique hotels, The Puli's room is spacious, soothing, and extremely comfortable for work and relaxation. The loft design really works in this hotel. I have not been so in love with a room since the Mandarin Oriental HK Landmark. If I could, this would be my residence in Shanghai.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
pulipr, Management team at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2010

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed we would love to have you reside with us for as long as you like the next time you return to Shanghai too.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2010

Probably the best designed rooom I have ever had and I have been traveling 30 years. Staff was fantastic, there when you needed them and in the shadows when you did not, and had no expectations exept to serve you. Food was magnificent, perfect presentation and the veiw of the garden from the restaurant is perfect for breakfast. Great coffee also. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
pulipr, Management team at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

We are happy that you loved your entire stay - from room, food and beverage to service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The PuLi very soon on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed 26 March 2010

Excellent modern cool Chinese inspired interiors. Very spacious rooms, nice equipment. GREAT black-out function, meaning the rooms have electronic screens that make the room completely dark, even when the sun is shining. Need to improve house keeping a bit, but otherwise a super cool design hotel. Location is great too. Loved that place, will book again every time I'm in Shanghai!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
pulipr, Management team at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us and hope the black-out function of the electronic screens managed to give you a blissful night of sleep. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai and The PuLi very soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

This is a designers Walhalla and a travelers ultimate place to stay. Fantastic hotel with a boutique style feel, very professional en personal service and a pleasure for the creative eye. The location is ideal near JangAn Park and Nanjing Road. The atmosphere in all areas is sensational and rooms are spacious with great showers, a ‘European size’ bath at the window and very comfy item’s like Nespresso machine, Bose Ipod station etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to being of service to you on your next stay with us.