“Fantastic food”

ShangHai GuYi Xiang WeiNong (FuMin)
Ranked #277 of 16,893 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Sydney
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We went to the branch at IFC mall, because it was the closest one to get to on the Metro. It was lateish (8pm) so we didn't have to wait for a table. Service was smart and fast and extremely friendly.

As others have said, the cumin ribs are to die for. A must order. We also had some duck hotpot, a boiled egg curry (delicious and I am going to try this at home), the most amazing fish dish (can't remember which variety) 3 whole small fish, lightly fried and unbelievably spiced. So fresh, We also tried their dumplings (good, steamed and filled with more vegies than the Shanghainese vareity) and some fried rice, Hunan style, which was lighter and greener than the others we had tried around town, filled with chunks of preserved pork...yum! They were a bit gobsmacked by how much food we ordered (you have to, if you want to try as many things as possible) but we ate most of it! Definitely would go back there in a heartbeat.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Linda C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Order the fish head!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

They don't seem to take reservations so we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. It was definitely worth the wait! The food is really good. Spicy and flavorful. In addition to the chicken and beef, we had bullfrog (not a favorite) and fish head. The fish head was DELICIOUS. I highly recommend, even for those who are squeamish at the thought. Really lovely meal.

• Visited January 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good food, awful service”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I visited Guyi with my girlfriend after a friend living in Shanghai recommended it.

The food was very nice fresh tasting. In particular I can recommend the cumin ribs and lamb chops.

The service we received was very poor and spoilt the meal for us. We ordered four dishes and whilst eating the first three to arrive a woman, who I assume was the manager, handed us our bill and asked us to pay straight away-even though we were still eating. Also the bill showed that our last dish had been refunded. When we asked the manager why it was taken off she told us they had run out. No effort had been made to point this out earlier so we could have ordered something else and the manager wasn't apologetic in the slightest. Her only concern was collecting our money.

Overall, a very disappointing meal.

• Visited December 2013
Shanghai, China
“Very Good food, service, and location. Definitely one of the best Hunan places in Shanghai”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I are regulars here. The menu is huge with lots of pictures which is great for a laowai (foreigner). Typically, we get the cold cucumbers to start, the fried fish, spicy chicken in a wood bowl, and then try to experiment with different options. We haven't tried the bowls with boiling dishes in them yet, but last time we were there, almost everyone in the restaurant was ordering them.

For under $30 a person, you can get a very good selection of food with a few beers. It's a great experience. I definitely recommend a visit here.

• Visited December 2013
Stirling, New Jersey, United States
“Authentic Hunan cuisine!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My boyfriend and I were visiting a friend in Shanghai and he recommended the place. All I can say is, "Wow!!" The portions were amazing and the food was so good. If you are used to Chinese food in the US, then this is completely different and will definitely surprise you. Fish heads and jelly fish? Yes, please!

• Visited October 2013