“cool in the heat”

Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Ranked #67 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We normally stop in a Chinese hotel nearby, but as we get a corporate rate in Marriot I decided to try this again after 5 years.
The welcome is warm even in the extreme AC of the reception. Outside was about 40ºC inside was less than 20. The staff all attempt to be friendly but it somehow fails. I don’t know why but I found it annoying not friendly. Or maybe I was tired and fractious all week. The room was large and comfortable. The AC working well again, turning it off and letting the ambient temperature rise to a mean of the corridor and outside was perfect for me.
The housekeeping staff were very good, cleaning every morning and turning down at night, I am sure they were waiting for me to go out so they could come in and close the curtains and replenish the showergel. Leaving the room for 5 minutes and it was done. The laundry service was excellent, I was getting through 2-3 shirts a day and the standard service had them washed and returned in less than 8 hours.
I swam in the clean cool pool a few times and a life guard appears as you do and leaves with you, this was reassuring for my colleague who was a poor swimmer.
The bar was expensive, but it’s a Marriot, you expect that, so I only used it the day I was leaving and needed some cool drinks, I never understand big corporate financial mentality if they charge less more people would use it.
The concierge was helpful on my last day, I had checked out the day before and left my bags returning in the morning to drop off the overnight bag I had taken to another town, the concierge remembered me got my bags out and then returned them. Doing this again later in the afternoon when I fetched some shopping. Then having the taxi ready and bags ready at the time I said I would depart.
Overall a pleasant stay with helpful staff. Oh and the free wifi shows they do listen to their customers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Pros: Good location for shopping and restaurants, Good A/C, decent breakfast, free Wifi
Cons: Unfriendly doormen, rather long walk to subway which makes a rather long trip to downtown
I noticed the doormen, yes, I mean doormen as most of the times, the hotel will have 2 ~ 3 people in the lobby area, but they all have sully faces greeting the people. Actually not all the time, as I noticed they are only friendly to the white guests while no facial expression to Asian guests. I wonder why. Do white guests tip the doormen while Asians don't? After awhile, I just ignored them when I arrive in the lobby, but I would have liked them to be more friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I went there last year for business purpose. It goes without saying, a pure business-oriented hotel with neat, spacious room. A pull-out partition separate the living room and show area which also prevent moisture getting into. For those whose designation is Caohejing Hi Tech Park, there is a another Marriott nearby, HR made a mistake for putting me in this area, but it turns out to be a nice spot for urban tourist after working.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I also stay at this hotel on a regular basis. I did not appreciate the consistenly high standards of service and accommodation until this trip. After staying at two other hotels in different cities I was welcomed upon my return as though I was home.
Bluesy and Tommy shaking my hand as I get out of the car, a warm welcome at check in, advised by Celia that she had personally checked my room and a host of warm greetings from all of the team.
General Manager Erica has certainley set high standards.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel are quieter but from the rooms at the front you can splendour at the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stay at this hotel 3 to 4 times per year for anywhere from 7-14 days at a time (and have for the past several years) due only to the proximity to my Shanghai business. I find the service good and the staff friendly, but over the past year the food at the restaurant has been horribly inconsistent. In fact, you can order the same menu item for 7 days in a row and each day you will be surprised by the difference. The food can be very good or awful, and while it is not a 5 star dining experience, it is not cheap.
The rooms also need to be updated as they are very tired looking and I've had rooms with carpets that are worn and dirty. Time to update this property!
If you are unfortunate enough to be on the street side of the property and want to open your window for some "fresh" air, then you had best do it when the restaurant in the building opposite of the hotel is not busy otherwise you cannot breath from the cooking smells or hear from the exhaust vent noises.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2013

we spent nine nights here over the course of two weeks. The service was outstanding. short cab rides get you anywhere you need to go.. 2 nice parks nearby for walking or viewing tai chi.
Rooms were well kept, food onsite is typical hotel pricing but good. Employee that went above and beyond was a bellman, "Tommy",

Room Tip: corner room with view of cathedral was nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

exellent location, fairly new, spacious rooms, good amenities, good kitchen, plenty of rooms, club level is great, nearby shopping and other facilities and station and offices. a bit far from Pudon airport. take a taxi to all other places.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business