I used to stay at hotels in this vicinity, because the location in the middle of People's Sq means that you're literally at the centre of the action at one of the most exciting cities in the world, and enjoy all the convenience. But rising costs for Shanghai's rooms in this vicinity meant that I had no choice by 2008 but to start looking to stay at the outer areas of Shanghai. So in a way, a stay at the Langham Yangtze is very much a return to the People's Sq for me, and I cherish this homecoming of sort.
I think I need not harp too much on the perfect location of the Langham here. Right above the main interchange metro station of Shanghai, steps away from the Nanjing Road (East) pedestrian walk, surrounded by a plethora of eateries catering to all budgets and several department stalls and malls, and also within walking distance to one of the largest bookshops in China. What more can you ask for?
I came to the Langham also because I've heard so much of the decor and amenities of this nicely-restored old building. Formerly the old Yangtze Hotel, the Langham evokes that old-world charm of 1930s Shanghai, that decadent yet romantic Paris of the East which gives such a good (and some would say bad) name to the city. The choice of colours and lighting, and the choice of furniture show the length of time and amount of effort put in to re-create such an atmosphere. Trust the Langham to deliver on this aspect!
But maybe because this hotel is revamped from an old one, the design of the rooms seems weird. I had a room next to an office, I think, as my windows opened to peer into the work-desk of that office. There is no view to talk about, only into an old air-well or some would say verandah. If you leave the blinds open and your curtains drawn, you can see clearly the rooms opposite you, and perhaps some actions of your neighbours which are best left unseen.
What I did not like about the room was the bathroom. It was freezing at the toilet, as the air-con obviously is not extendable to that part of the room. In fact, the bathroom is huge, it occupied half of the room floor size! The shower was also weak, and there was no such thing as a powerful shower over a rainfall head, something I thought is so popular nowadays in China. There were two huge basins for two occupants I presume, but I feel it's very much an unwise use of space.
After putting in a king-sized bed, extra space is not much in the room. Fortunately, the amenities are all there and some extras such as a mouth-rinse and soft, comfortable slippers and firm foam pillows are available. The old world decor extends into the room and although not every single aspect was old world, the evocation of a period feel was obvious the moment I went into the room.
I also particularly like the concierge boys at this Langham, who are so cute and friendly. Dick is so smart in delivering the most satisfactory service available, and Ray was also eager to please. And Jacky even invited me to spend the weekend with him if I was bored! These enthusiastic boys are the gems of this hotel I am sure, and for this feel-good feeling if nothing else, one is tempted to return to be their guests again. Keep it up boys!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the center of Shanghai with endless flow of people, there is a place that could take you back to the 1930s to appreciate the golden age of Shanghai. That is The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai.The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, an Art Deco masterpiece infused with gold age of Shanghai, owns the superior geographical position. Located in the People's Square, centre of Shanghai, the hotel enjoys convenient access to all parts of the city with the Shanghai Metro Lines 1/2/8 less than 30 meters from the hotel. Moreover, the hotel is bordered by major cultural and entertainment highlights within walking distance, such as Nanjing Pedestrian Road, People's Park, the Raffles City, the Shanghai Museum, and the Shanghai Grand Theatre.This hotel attracts guests with its private and graceful environment instead of the splendid and magnificent impression. The stained glass dome looks so gorgeous with carved staircase winding up. The candlelit crystal lighting collocates with palatial valance creating the elegant and sumptuous atmosphere. The unique collections displayed on the wall of guest room floor corridors, such as jewelry boxes, manual-shaving-hair tools, ancient door latch, traditional pipes, ladies' hand bags, Hawksbill needles, cookie boxes, etc, all tell guests the history of Shanghai. Entering each room, the song " Rose, Rose, I love you" reminds each guest of the prosperity of the old Shanghai with its sweet voice and nostalgia melody. Standing on the guest room private balcony, you could feel the quick pace of the modern city while retrospect the past good times at the same time.Yangtze Hotel, the predecessor of The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, opened in 1934, owns 80 years of history. Decorated with lavish art deco style, this hotel was touted as "The Third Largest Hotel in the Far East" by the renowned architect, Li Pan. This hotel used to be a popular social resort gathered many celebrities and movie stars, and it was exactly the birthplace of the most classic and well-known song "Rose, Rose, I love you". In order to inherit this cultural heritage, Yangtze Boutique reserves this song as the background music in the room, and names one suit of room as "Rose Suite" to be one of the signature of the hotel, which becomes the favorites of many guests. Over the past 80 years, the Yangtze Hotel witnessed the ups and downs of Shanghai. In 2009, the Yangtze Hotel was renovated gorgeously and re-emerged in a great sumptuous way, reserving the classic Art Deco design style while mixing the 1930s old Shanghai style together. Just like the time flying back, The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai guides guests back to the glamorous and extravagant life in old Shanghai with great charm and elegant demeanor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Hotel.de, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Yangtze Boutique Hotel Shanghai
- Langham Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
- Langham Yangtze Boutique Hotel Shanghai