“A homecoming to the People's Square area”

The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #33 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“A homecoming to the People's Square area”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I used to stay at hotels in this vicinity, because the location in the middle of People's Sq means that you're literally at the centre of the action at one of the most exciting cities in the world, and enjoy all the convenience. But rising costs for Shanghai's rooms in this vicinity meant that I had no choice by 2008 but to start looking to stay at the outer areas of Shanghai. So in a way, a stay at the Langham Yangtze is very much a return to the People's Sq for me, and I cherish this homecoming of sort.

I think I need not harp too much on the perfect location of the Langham here. Right above the main interchange metro station of Shanghai, steps away from the Nanjing Road (East) pedestrian walk, surrounded by a plethora of eateries catering to all budgets and several department stalls and malls, and also within walking distance to one of the largest bookshops in China. What more can you ask for?

I came to the Langham also because I've heard so much of the decor and amenities of this nicely-restored old building. Formerly the old Yangtze Hotel, the Langham evokes that old-world charm of 1930s Shanghai, that decadent yet romantic Paris of the East which gives such a good (and some would say bad) name to the city. The choice of colours and lighting, and the choice of furniture show the length of time and amount of effort put in to re-create such an atmosphere. Trust the Langham to deliver on this aspect!

But maybe because this hotel is revamped from an old one, the design of the rooms seems weird. I had a room next to an office, I think, as my windows opened to peer into the work-desk of that office. There is no view to talk about, only into an old air-well or some would say verandah. If you leave the blinds open and your curtains drawn, you can see clearly the rooms opposite you, and perhaps some actions of your neighbours which are best left unseen.

What I did not like about the room was the bathroom. It was freezing at the toilet, as the air-con obviously is not extendable to that part of the room. In fact, the bathroom is huge, it occupied half of the room floor size! The shower was also weak, and there was no such thing as a powerful shower over a rainfall head, something I thought is so popular nowadays in China. There were two huge basins for two occupants I presume, but I feel it's very much an unwise use of space.

After putting in a king-sized bed, extra space is not much in the room. Fortunately, the amenities are all there and some extras such as a mouth-rinse and soft, comfortable slippers and firm foam pillows are available. The old world decor extends into the room and although not every single aspect was old world, the evocation of a period feel was obvious the moment I went into the room.

I also particularly like the concierge boys at this Langham, who are so cute and friendly. Dick is so smart in delivering the most satisfactory service available, and Ray was also eager to please. And Jacky even invited me to spend the weekend with him if I was bored! These enthusiastic boys are the gems of this hotel I am sure, and for this feel-good feeling if nothing else, one is tempted to return to be their guests again. Keep it up boys!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Sal the Fat Fish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel has a long history in Shanghai, is exceptionally well run and very clean. It is in a great location within walking distance to the Bund and just off Nankin Road. The restaurants are very good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blsdbm
London
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Small enough to provide the personal touch, with careful attention throughout to the art deco theme. We had a lavishly comfortable room, with a great (if chilly) bathroom, and the breakfast area was attractive when it had quietened down at the weekend. The rather intermittent wifi wouldn't be worth paying for. The major downside of our three day stay wasn't however the hotel's fault: the disturbing level of hassle for western (male?) visitors in the adjoining streets and also the packed pedestrian Nanjing Road. We had to dodge a constant stream of offers of fake watches and various personal services - the city authorities really do need to try and clamp down on this.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Roadboy
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This was our first visit to Shanghai and decided to make the Langham Yangtze Boutique Hotel our "home away from home" based on the reviews here on Trip Adviser. And we weren't disappointed. This hotel is right in the middle of the action - a very short walk to Nanjung Road (sp?), the People's Park is just across the road (via a pedestrian underpass) there are ATMs nearby with a large shopping complex and it's a leisurely stroll down to The Bund.

This is a beautifully restored intimate hotel in the art deco style. The entrance foyer is breathtaking, our check in was fuss free and our Art Deco Room was very spacious and comfortable. Our bathroom was huge - especially loved the bath with the TV over it. Oh and the bed .... aaaahhhh yes, kingsize, soft and so very comfortable with lovely big pillows and a warm snuggley quilt. LOL, between the bath and the bed, thought I'd died and gone to heaven! :D

The buffet breakfast in "Ciao" each morning was excellent - a vast array of delicious food (especially loved the eggs cooked to order) and the coffee was excellent! The staff, from the front door, to reception, concierge, bar staff, guys and girls in Ciao and even housekeeping were charming, efficient and very eager to please.

Only have 2 very tiny criticisms ... we were only given 2 sachets of instant coffee each day in our room (hubby and I like to have a coffee first thing in the morning and perhaps a 2nd cup after ablutions?) and there was no suitcase bench in the room so cases and bags had to be placed on the floor.

Nevertheless, I can strongly recommend the Langham Yangtze Boutique Hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuziQ1950
Trondheim
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in the Rose Suite as part of a special package that the hotel was offering until February 28th. The suite was fantastic; very spacious, beautiful bathroom and very comfortable bed. My husband and I and our 16 year-old son stayed here, so a single bed was put up for our son, which was fine. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was good. We ate at the hotel restaurant one evening and the food was excellent. The prices were higher than at other restaurants, so we mainly ate our lunch and supper out.
Nothing was too much trouble for anyone at the hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of travelling to Shanghai and wanting a more personal touch to their holiday. Super place!

Room Tip: Ask for any special offers that the hotel has.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We arrived here at 11:00am after a very long and uncomfortable train ride from Beijing. We were elated when we were told our room was ready. We were given tea while we checked in and they also gave me a rose which was a nice touch.

We booked the most basic room but it as lovely. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge and there was a TV over the bath.

The location is excellent. Across the road from the train station and a nice shopping centre, walking distance to Nanjing Road, and you can walk down Nanjing Road to The Bund.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EzzOM
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I never stayed at the hotel, but would recommend it becuse of its excellent service. I had already paid a deposit when the hotel incormed me that due to nearby construction, they woldl be unable to accomodate me. They recommended other extablishments in the area and although I enventually chose another location in the city, they provided me with a free car pick-up from the airport to my alternative hotel. They also provided an information pack suggesting restuarants, clubs, galleries and bars. I foudn this very helpful and the chinese addresses very useful.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family