“Great choice”

Ranked #31 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Laveno-Mombello, Italia
“Great choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I chose this hotel mainly for its central location and it was a hit! Very conveniently located, just a few steps to People's Square Metro Station and a couple of minutes walk to Nanjin Road. The personnel was friendly and the room (I booked a superior) was immaculate and very confortable. I also liked the idea that the hotel is relatively small and not one of those high rises that are everywhere in the city, it made me feel more human, very cozy. Fast complimentary Wi-Fi, I booked a flash promotion so the price was extremely competitive. Should I return to Shanghai, I would have no hesitation to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MelaniaMela
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear MelaniaMela,

Thank you very much for this review and 5 Stars. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. It was our great pleasure to serve you during your stay here and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in June for 2 nights them for 3 nights. The location is just right for transport, the peoples park metro is straight across the road, 1 block to nanjing road walking street, loads of restaurants of all persuasions within easy walking distance, and an Irish pub around the corner with a middle of the road band from 9pm.
The hotel front door staff were excellent and helpful in every way, a credit to the hotel.bar staff were also very good. The only downside was that some of the staff at reception were per functionary at best, whilst others were very good, it depended on what shift was on. The concierge , mr ZHang was at all times helpful, I booked train tickets through the hotel and when I arrived all was in order.
Rooms were large and well appointed, bed was very comfy.
I certainly recommend this hotel and will stay there on my next trip to shanghai.

Stayed July 2014
Dear toptraveller14,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I've been to Shanghai three times now and this has been the best hotel I've stayed in there. I loved the art deco décor and the central staircase and stained glass ceiling was quite a centrepiece - also a great way to end an evening with a drink sat in one of the alcoves around the top of the staircase. The room was very nicely furbished and the hotel is right next to People's Square station (exit 14) so very easy to get around from. The only downside for me was the quality of the restaurants there - I ate in both and had better meals out elsewhere, and it's noisy because of the location and the constant horn beeping, but it's a great place to base yourself and you have to expect the noise.

Room Tip: There were a few moths in my room and I seem to remember another reviewer mentioning this before, so...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CatFitz_London
Dear CatFitz_London,

Thank you very much for this review and 4 Stars. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. It was our great pleasure to serve you during your stay here and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My daughter and I have just returned from a 9 day stay in Shanghai and staying at the hotel.
Before I booked the hotel. I asked for photos of the disabled room as I have had previous experience in Asia when my ideas and the hotels of requirements for disabled are quite different. These were sent quickly and were very clear as to the facilities.
I have uploaded my own very poor photos.
The position of the hotel is perfect for a short walk to Nanjing Rd and People's Square. Also the Metro station which I couldn't use as it is not very wheelchair friendly but having said that, taxis are just so cheap (45 min trip from airport - A$25, first 3km anywhere - A$2.50) and very easy to get - I preferred the station wagon type as I found them easier to get in and my lightweight fold up wheelchair easily fitted in boot.
The staff at the front of the hotel were SO helpful, polite and couldn't do enough. They helped my daughter with my wheelchair up the 2 small steps at the front of the hotel every time. They spoke to taxi drivers in Chinese so no problems with destinations as few taxi drivers speak good English. They also spoke good English and were happy to give required information when we asked.The hotel should be proud of the way the Concierge staff represented them at all times. Congratulations should be passed to them.
Check in was quick and smooth and any queries throughout our stay were handled quickly and efficiently.
Our room (suite really) was designed with features for disabled and was HUGE with a separate small room for wardrobes etc and ironing board. It was spotlessly clean.
The bathroom was again very large with plenty of room to maneuver a wheelchair. The basin was a bit hard to reach from a wheelchair but I used the taps over the massive deep bath. I could not see in the mirror from wheelchair but a smaller mirror on a stand was provided and there was also a full length mirror n bathroom.
The toilet had rails either side and the roll in shower had a shower chair provided and non slip mat. The hand held shower was good pressure and no problem with hot water.
As I wasn't able to use the bath, I couldn't watch the wall mounted TV while in it!
The turn down service was welcome every night.
The only small negative is that the sheets were not changed daily even though I did not ask for them not to be. I would have preferred that.
We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.
After a good deal of research on hotels in Shanghai with disabled facilities, I can say that I was very pleased with my choice.

Room Tip: Ask for room with disabled facilities if you require it - I think you will be pleased.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SPARKLE953
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear SPARKLE953,

Thank you so much for this amazing review and 5 Stars. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. It was our great pleasure to hear that our facilities and service really impressed you during your stay here. We would love to share this view with all our team members, and just can't wait to have you back again during your next visit to Shanghai in the near future.
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The situation of the hotel is very good, just near Nanjing lu and People square, it's convenient and easy to find a taxi there, which is usually hard.
the rooms are nice, and quite big.
the view from my room as not that good but maybe it's because it's a standard room.
the lobby of the hotel is very dark and not that big... there is a long corridor before arriving at the desk. The staff was not very friendly except the man at the door who helped me translate my addresses in Chinese.
Overall, it's a nice place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear AC-trotteuse,

australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you have no great desire to stay in a hotel on the Bund then this is the hotel for you! Given we had lived in Shanghai some years ago, I knew the location would be perfect for our needs. The hotel is a few steps from the metro (and which is so easy to use), short walk to People’s Square, around the corner from Nanjing Road and a 15 minute or so walk to the Bund.
Every effort has been made to restore the hotel to its original 30’s décor – and done extremely well! Rooms are a very good size and so too are the bathrooms.
We had breakfast included in our room rate. Breakfast was plentiful – enough western items for my husband and Asian for me!
Some minor issues which have been noted in other posts. Reception was very slow when we checked in (late, around 11pm) and we had to rephrase a question regarding our reservation a couple of times before we were satisfied with the response. Also agree with other posts about bar staff being slow and simply disappearing. Very strange also that the bar does not open until 5.30pmish in a 5 star hotel! A little extra training for some staff would, therefore, not go astray.
These staffing issues were contrasted, however, by knowledgeable concierge staff who couldn’t have been more helpful. They are a fantastic asset to the hotel.
We didn’t eat any other meals at the hotel but please see my review of 1221 Restaurant – fantastic, inexpensive place to eat good local food.
Definitely stay here and I doubt you will be disappointed. Try asking for an outside room on a high floor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear oztraveller52,

Thank you so much for this review and 5 Stars. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. Meanwhile, we appreciated your comment on service procedure issues which kindly reminded us to pay more attention on the details that may easy to overlook. Again it was our pleasure to serve you during your stay and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We loved our 5 night stay at the Yangtze Boutique. We ended up upgrading to a suite and were so happy with our decision. The room was comfortable, well decorated, and we loved all the space in the bathroom. It wasn't necessary, but it was a nice change while on vacation to have that much space. The breakfast buffet had good options. It definitely didn't lack in variety and I loved the fruit bowls that were already prepared. The location was excellent. This is right at a metro location and the lines that passed through this station took us to pretty much every place we needed or wanted to go. It was even convenient to reach from the hotel. We took the Maglev and the metro and came right out at the hotel (I think it was exit 14 in the station that pops up by the hotel front door). We were a short walk from the Bund and had plenty of choices nearby for food. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Melinda B,

Thank you so much for this amazing review and 5 Stars. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. It was our great pleasure to serve you during your stay here and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.