“Sophisticated”

Les Suites Orient, Bund Shanghai
Ranked #34 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed three nights. We had a corner room with stunning river views. Service was impeccable. The restaurant was very nice and breakfast was excellent. It was wonderful to stay in this quiet and sophisticated hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank MNSpark
Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband has booked this hotel randomly. It turned out to be one of the best of our stays! Located on the Bundt, the hotel is within a short walking distance from main historical buildings, and also - from Yu' Yuan gardens and same subway station on line 10. Le Suites has a very elegant, based on both Western and Asian minimalism interiors. A very charming place! Enjoying views of Huangpu river from that 1960s, like in "Mad Men" cozy recliner, with feet touching original, old fashioned hard wood floor had a fantastic feeling! On the other hand, rooms are very modern - master control panel, two ab. 32" flat screen TVs, IPhone charger by the bed, high - end "Illy" coffeemakers. Lots of bottled water provided, too, which we both much appreciated after walking outside in +36 C hit.Outstanding service by hotel staff and most of members are fluent in English. We avoided lots of hassle purchasing tickets for river cruises, performances, and even train tickets through our concierges. Overall, a wonderful stay! Sincere thank you to the staff members!

Room Tip: Rooms with river view are worth every penny spent on.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

After traveling pretty much everywhere in the world I have finally found my favourite hotel.
Located in the Bund (get the Bund View rooms), the location is fantastic, just a short walk from Old Town and a short cab ride to the French Concession area.

From the moment we walked into the hotel we felt at ease and were treated very well. There is something about the rooms that makes you feel entirely calm and relaxed, ZEN. The beds are super comfortable - you don't want to have to leave them!! The bathrooms are very clean and nicely designed... and the toilets had some interesting features! The rooms are kitted out with awesome tech, from the mood lighting to the entertainment system.

On the second day we saw a number of very well dressed people getting into a lift at the front of the building - we hadn't even realised that there was another, entirely separate, lift. So we ran upstairs to our room changed and found ourselves in this amazing bar - Horizon Bar- with (almost) 360 degree view of the city, it was by far the best night we had in China!

The breakfast and the Lounge snacks are pretty nice too!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We are on our 3 day vacation in Shanghai and found a gem of a hotel in the Bund area! We stayed at Les Suites Orient hotel and we couldn't be happier! The location is great. We had a room overlooking the river and you can see the Pearl Tower from here. Our room was very modern with amenities like water, slippers, free internet, free breakfast and free 24 hour lounge service. The staff were very helpful and courteous! Special mention is to be made to their concierge Ayumi! She was very helpful in printing out all the places that we can go to so that we can show it to the taxi drivers. She took the time to explain the different sights that we can see in Shanghai. I will definitely come back to stay here again!! I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is a really lovely hotel - beautifully designed with very smart interior design. The views from floor to ceiling windows in the spacious rooms were stunning. Technology was impressive too - blinds and all lighting controlled from bedside. Even outdoor temperature displayed in bathroom. Within walking distance of restaurants and bars on the Bund. Only minor complaint would be no bar as such. You could get drinks served to you but service could be slow and patchy.
Overall would recommend.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The hotel far exceeded my expectations - service was impeccable (with the exception of some of the guys at the front door who ignore you when you ask politely for a cab in Mandarin then grudgingly get down to it when you ask them rudely in English).

Location is fantastic, right by the bund (get the bund view rooms if possible, but best to get some further down the right corridor since mine was partially blocked by the building in front) and if you have meetings in Jing'An, Chang'Ning, etc. it's really easy to get to via cab ride since the entrance to the YanAn highway is just around corner. It's really easy to flag down cabs here and all the cab drivers knew the location of the hotel.

Got my room upgraded so it was really quite large and spacious, extremely clean and everything was well thought of and provided well. I love how conveniently located the main controls, and ipod docks were placed by the bed. The coffee machine with Illy pods in the room is awesome too!

Snacks provided 24/7 in the lounge area is a really nice touch and the breakfast while not as comprehensive/good as what I got at other hotels but was still quite adequate.

This hotel is certainly my fave along with The Puli which is slightly more expensive and design wise still remains one notch above this hotel.

My only small complains: Just a note though, if you're sensitive you noise - I could hear the traffic even though I was on a high floor and I really wish the windows were cleaned more frequently as all my photos of the Bund didn't look good due to the stains all over the window.

Room Tip: If you get a bund view, make sure it's more towards the right of the corridor else you may have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank thislittlemmm
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am a frequent visitor to Shanghai and have had the opportunity to try out most of the hotels in the area, I normally stay at another place which is also highly rated on Tripadvisor just a 5 minute walk down the Bund but thought I would try something different for a change.

After a long flight from London this hotel was a welcoming sight, located right on Zhongshan Road (The Bund) it is easy to access, the entrance is small and understated but extremely inviting and elegant. The lobby is on the second floor and one is taken quickly to their room (which for me was a Bund Deluxe).

The room impressed on all levels, the first impression is of the size of the room which wasn't cramped in the slightest, the very spacious bathroom was a particular triumph with an exceptional rainfall shower, more towels than you could possibly ever need and full of high tech (electronic toilet with various hilarious washing options, television in the bath and thermometer built into the mirror). As for the room itself the bed was large, the view was overlooking the Huangpu river and the Oriental Pearl Tower as promised and amenities were in keeping with the comfortable but high technology theme - one particular thing I enjoyed was the daily replenishment of 4 bottles of water - this is the only hotel I have stayed in in mainland China which actually appreciates the necessity of giving guests plenty of free water in a country where tap water is undrinkable.

I cannot really fault my Bund Deluxe room in any way, and after a short drink with a friend in a local bar I retired to my room to try and beat the jet lag - only to be unable to sleep due to a bass heavy thumping noise in my room. I was on the 23rd floor and assumed it was another guest playing loud music, but upon calling reception to see if they could resolve the issue I was instead informed that the music was coming from their nightclub on the top floor! I was taken aback at this (and when one is paying almost £300 a night to stay here, who wouldn't be!?), after making my opinion clear a receptionist came to my room and apologised profusely, and moved me swiftly to a suite with a better view on a slightly lower floor. I felt the situation was handled well, but I would rather the situation didn't exist at all, in what world does it make sense to have loud music playing and disturbing the guests of a five star hotel? I am aware this part of the bund has a lot of nightlife - but surely not at the expense of paying guests.

The Breakfast is included with the room and has a very communal feel to it, the food was average compared to other places in Shanghai but given that there is no extra charge it wouldn't be fair to complain. I feel that this hotel has so much going for it, the moment one steps inside there is an air of calm and escape from a seriously busy city, but a decision has to be made as to whether the management care more about the well-being of their guests, or their nightclub customers before it can truly get a good score in my books, if they really are serious about the hotel being a success then what kind of attitude does the nightclub portray to the hotel's customers?

I would stay here again, on a lower floor so I don't have to here the thumping music - book in advance and get a discount!

Thanks to all the staff for a comfortable stay

Room Tip: Bund Deluxe rooms have a very nice layout
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business