“Stay here only if you're on a budget”

Shanghai Fish Inn Bund
Ranked #87 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My expectations were quite high based on the many excellent reviews on locations and services received by guests who stayed at this hotel. Despite this, I also bore in mind that this was at best a three star hotel. However, being one to take into account real travellers' experience, my friend and I decided to go ahead and book a room here for our 4 day stay in Shanghai.

Given their competitive rates as a 3 star hotel, I would definitely say that there are far better ones with same price and better commodities in the area and nearer to the bund/metro station! I for one, have stayed in those but due to the sensitivity of the review, I shall not mention which hotel.

I found the rooms decent. At least they were clean and have no foul smell. Pillows however, were extremely flat so much so that you won't think that you are sleeping on a pillow. We had to ask for 3 additional pillows each to make for ourselves a decent pillow! Bed was comfy and not like the commonly-known hard beds that China hotels are famous for.

The washroom was very tiny though, we hardly had space to maneuver around. Sink space was non-existent, with no space to even put one small size toiletry bag! In the end, we had to put all our toiletries on the TV table.

The room light was very dim on my side of the bed and I couldn't do any reading at night. The light above my friend's bed was ok but not the best. In general, the lighting was very dim and doesn't make for good lighting if you want to do your make-up.

Only good point was that the rooms were clean and the Wi-Fi signal was strong and consistent. Staff was very friendly and helpful in general but for one point - the staff gave inconsistent information about the room key card. One said that one of us had to register our passport and we could get another key card. However, we didn't do so immediately and when we tried to do so at night, the staff said we had to give another 200 RMB (on top of the existing 200 RMB) for another room key card which we didn't. They obliged by putting a permanent room card in our room, so the room was lighted when we came in every night.

Location was good though and easy to find. Just exit from Exit 6 from Nanjing East Road station, cross 2 traffic lights horizontally and vertically, cross the road and walk past a beige bank-looking building and viola! It wasn't as obscure or hard to find as some have describe. If you fear that you will meet with any difficulties finding the hotel, just do your homework and check out Google Maps before you trip - it should be a piece of cake as that's what I did. Food was abundant and there were a few marts nearby if you want to stock up on groceries. The Bund also was just 4 streets down, literally a stone's throw away

Note: My friend's review of the hotel wasn't so good as she felt 'cheated' by the glowing reviews provided by fellow travellers on Tripadvisor which prompted us to even consider Fish Inn Bund in the first place. We even wanted to check out and change hotel due to her insistence but in the end felt it was worth more hassle to move then to stay put. I would say to potential customers to not over-expect and to be reasonable in expectations so as not to be disappointed in the event that the place is not up to your expectation.

Room Tip: Choose a Level 2 room for better wifi connection.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fuschial

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel had the cleanest washroom on my budget trip through China so far. A bit far from things but was decent for a 1 night stay. The rooms were OK didn't spend much time in it. The staff was friendly and check-in/out was convenient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HennyTse
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Although a little hard to find this little hotel is first rate. No services but the rooms are clean comfortable and convenient. Five minutes walk to the Nanjing Metro stop and about 10 minutes walk to the Bund. Best value in Shanghai close to the Bund. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Friendly staff (spoke good English) and good coffee. Great dumpling place just a few minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Timothy W
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I read the reviews and thought this would be a good budget place to go, but after trekking on the subway and walking there following their awful directions, I saw a dump in a dump neighborhood, with a not much better lobby. I didn't even venture to see a room. Now, those rooms may be nice, but I felt that the overall location (dicey), wasn't worth the monetary savings. There are much better places for comparable price elsewhere in Shanghai and Pudong. Remember, if you pay a little more but are located close to a subway station, you can go anywhere faster and safer. So spend another $10 and be safe and sleep in a nice hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank sofawny
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The entrance is down a dark, deserted alley past a micro street market. My stomach turned as I walked down and thought, this might be the type of place where I would wake up in an ice bath, missing a kidney, now lost to the organ market. Alas, relief was just around the corner, where a pinkish glow emanated from the neon-lit entrance with automatic sliding glass doors - just like in the pictures!

No one harassed me along the way and it was a mere 5 minute walk from the East Nanjing metro station of Line 2. 10 minutes from the Bund. Being a showpiece city for China, Shanghai is generally safe for a solo traveller "as long as you stay away from dark alleys," according to the innkeeper. Fish Inn's alley must be an exception or there must be darker alleys out there.

I like the split-level nature of the rooms. It kept the dust and dirt from the hallway or living room from scurrying into the upper level where the bed was located. The bedroom had a floral wall mural and flat-screen TV with 3 channels. A small window looked out into a small residential alley with laundry hanging out to dry. I didn't see any bedbugs or evidence thereof. There was no safe.

The salad bowl sized and shaped sink in the bathroom was a nice touch and reflects the trend in contemporary asian hotel interior design. The toilets are western style. The shower stall has both a handheld head and a rain showerhead. The hot water supply was immediate and consistent. The towels were small, stained and shabby but washed.

The carpets in the hallways were ragged. Elevator was slow but a staircase was nearby. WiFi worked consistently on the 2nd floor but don't expect blazing speed. Emails and chat messages are sent with a lag as the government checks my data packets for suspicious destinations or politically sensitive content.

English-speaking concierges made my stay a breeze. They were willing to write down directions in Chinese for the taxi drivers and point me to a blind massage parlor.

Watch your step on your way out the front door. The slight raised foyer tripped me every time I went out!

Room Tip: 2nd floor has more consistent WiFi than upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mikka P
Reviewed 3 November 2013

On arrival we were so happy to receive such a warm welcome and presented with helpful staff. It had a good location close to the Metro (approx 10 min walk)- 3 streets north from metro station. We had many attractions 10 min walk to the Bund and Nanjing Rd. The room was clean and tidy and provided good value for money.

Many local restaurants in the area, and the staff helped us choose wisely. Yang's Dried dumplings was literally around the corner and had great noodles and dumplings.

We were allowed to check in early, which we greatly appreciated. Candice provided great email instructions re how to arrive from airport, and was extremely helpful during our stay- to organise trains and trips. We are very appreciative.

Free wifi in rooms and lobby. Also had internet linked laptop down at reception that was great.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Fish Inn for 5 nights. It is in a quiet and convenient location, walking distance to the bund, shopping areas and a metro station. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. It was the first good night's sleep we got in our trip to China. The WiFi didn't really work on the 3rd floor but other than that everything was perfect and it was a great value.

• Stayed: October 2013