“Good value for good location”

Shanghai Fish Inn Bund
Ranked #89 of 5,137 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The location is really good!! The outside building doesn't look so impressive but the rooms are much better than I was thinking . Stayed there for almost 1 week.
Rooms are very clean , bed comfortable , friendly staff who's talking English . Book directly on their website and you entitled for free coffee for the entire stay. Wifi is not too bad . It's not a 5 stars hotel but if you are planning to save some money and be in a good location with a decent place , I do recommend it .

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Idango

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for 1 night n we didnt find anything outstanding to talk about this hotel. It's about 5 - 10min (not easy if u have luggages) walk fr East Nanking Rd metro station. There is no elevator at the exit (no.6) hence it was quite a challenge if u have heavy luggages. The hotel located next to a bridge n river. One of our standard room (1st flr) was so closed to some houses n we could hear clearly the noise ie chit chatting (as early as 7am). The heater also doesn't work n the lights are really dim. The other room (deluxe) in 2nd flr was quite ok. It's a 2 levels, a bed upper level n sofa lower level. Only problems our wc was block right we poo n lights are dim too. Both rooms are big n clean. Breakfast is not included n I think they charge about 10 - 15 rmb. U can find some nice breakfast along the streets nearby eg bakery shop, dumpling shop etc. Our favourite is Yang's dumpling.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank MayQ
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Fish Inn Bund can be hard to find at first. It is not far from the East Nanjing Road Metro station, and the Metro is so convenient and inexpensive, why take an expensive taxi? So go out Exit 2, whether from Line 2 or Line 10 (both go to Hongqiao, but only Line 2 goes to Pudong). Walk up Middle Henan Road (left side) towards the bridge. Go across Tianjin, Ningbo and Beijing Roads. Don't go to the bridge; keep left and you will find 639 up near the road by the river. It is about a 10 minute walk.

The desk staff generally speak good English. The breakfast is only OK. For some good breakfast food, go down to Ningbo Road, especially either Yang's Dumplings or the place next to Yang's. After all, you are travelling to China, so may as well eat Chinese, right?

The bed was one of the softest in China. The room was a reasonable size, and had a balcony / patio with a small table and two chairs. We sometimes sat out there drinking our morning coffee (I brought some coffee and my brew mug along), or a glass of wine in the late afternoon.

The hotel is only about 15 minutes from The Bund, and of course is close to the Metro and East Nanjing Road, so you can go anywhere easily. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dcn_nz
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I got a room for one person and it was still very small, but it had what I needed (hot water, A/C and TV). The staff was friendly and the hotel was three-blocks from the Bund. Next time I would try something even more central, but it might be hard to find a similar hotel with their rates.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank williamsousa2000
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My expectations were quite high based on the many excellent reviews on locations and services received by guests who stayed at this hotel. Despite this, I also bore in mind that this was at best a three star hotel. However, being one to take into account real travellers' experience, my friend and I decided to go ahead and book a room here for our 4 day stay in Shanghai.

Given their competitive rates as a 3 star hotel, I would definitely say that there are far better ones with same price and better commodities in the area and nearer to the bund/metro station! I for one, have stayed in those but due to the sensitivity of the review, I shall not mention which hotel.

I found the rooms decent. At least they were clean and have no foul smell. Pillows however, were extremely flat so much so that you won't think that you are sleeping on a pillow. We had to ask for 3 additional pillows each to make for ourselves a decent pillow! Bed was comfy and not like the commonly-known hard beds that China hotels are famous for.

The washroom was very tiny though, we hardly had space to maneuver around. Sink space was non-existent, with no space to even put one small size toiletry bag! In the end, we had to put all our toiletries on the TV table.

The room light was very dim on my side of the bed and I couldn't do any reading at night. The light above my friend's bed was ok but not the best. In general, the lighting was very dim and doesn't make for good lighting if you want to do your make-up.

Only good point was that the rooms were clean and the Wi-Fi signal was strong and consistent. Staff was very friendly and helpful in general but for one point - the staff gave inconsistent information about the room key card. One said that one of us had to register our passport and we could get another key card. However, we didn't do so immediately and when we tried to do so at night, the staff said we had to give another 200 RMB (on top of the existing 200 RMB) for another room key card which we didn't. They obliged by putting a permanent room card in our room, so the room was lighted when we came in every night.

Location was good though and easy to find. Just exit from Exit 6 from Nanjing East Road station, cross 2 traffic lights horizontally and vertically, cross the road and walk past a beige bank-looking building and viola! It wasn't as obscure or hard to find as some have describe. If you fear that you will meet with any difficulties finding the hotel, just do your homework and check out Google Maps before you trip - it should be a piece of cake as that's what I did. Food was abundant and there were a few marts nearby if you want to stock up on groceries. The Bund also was just 4 streets down, literally a stone's throw away

Note: My friend's review of the hotel wasn't so good as she felt 'cheated' by the glowing reviews provided by fellow travellers on Tripadvisor which prompted us to even consider Fish Inn Bund in the first place. We even wanted to check out and change hotel due to her insistence but in the end felt it was worth more hassle to move then to stay put. I would say to potential customers to not over-expect and to be reasonable in expectations so as not to be disappointed in the event that the place is not up to your expectation.

Room Tip: Choose a Level 2 room for better wifi connection.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fuschial
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel had the cleanest washroom on my budget trip through China so far. A bit far from things but was decent for a 1 night stay. The rooms were OK didn't spend much time in it. The staff was friendly and check-in/out was convenient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HennyTse
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Although a little hard to find this little hotel is first rate. No services but the rooms are clean comfortable and convenient. Five minutes walk to the Nanjing Metro stop and about 10 minutes walk to the Bund. Best value in Shanghai close to the Bund. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Friendly staff (spoke good English) and good coffee. Great dumpling place just a few minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family