“Convenient For Day Use Only”

Dazhong Airport Hotel
Ranked #22 of 753 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Convenient For Day Use Only”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel is linked to both Terminals 1 & 2 at Pudong Airport. I checked in for day use ( 6 hours ). The room rate of CNY 258 is on the high side as there are many hotels around the airport charging around CNY 160 for day use with no time limit plus free pickup from airport to the hotel vv.For the extra amount paid to Dazhong Airport Hotel it was worth it......the convenience of walking to both Terminal 1 & 2 especially during cold weather.Also for meals guests can take their meals at the fast food restaurants located in the terminal itself.The rooms are very small and the furnishings tired. Linen is clean but the mattress rather uncomfortable. The shower facility was good especially for someone after a long journey.There is no Wifi in the rooms. Guests can proceed to the Business Centre of the hotel for free Wifi. Would recommend hotel for day use only. If you plan to stay overnight look elsewhere

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank chan_pup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hono
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had an overnight stay in Shanghai at the Dazhong and was very happy. The room was on the smaller side but clean and nicely appointed and had 2 beds for my traveling partner and I. The rain shower was an orgasmic experience; especially after an 11 hour flight from Honolulu.

We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant which served a buffet of Chinese and Americanized foods. The chrysanthemum tea was out of this world! It was all very good - this coming from someone who was in a 22 year relationship with a Chinese American.

The service at the front desk and in the restaurant was efficient. Interactions were practical. I have read reviews that the service seemed surly but, come on, this is Communist China.

All around a good experience for 1 night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kitwynkoop
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Clean but very small rooms. Only recomendable for short stay (next day connection) Price is high for what they offer but no alternative. Easy access to Terminal 1 and 2 at PuDong Intl. Airport. For lunch or dinner use the fastfood restaurants at Airport.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Note: there are two different hotels across the street from Shanghai terminal 1 and 2. The one we stayed in (south) is apparently the better of the two (don't know how that's possible). This is by far THE worst hotel we've stayed in. The only thing going for it is the proximity to the airport. Our flight was changed, forcing us into a 27 hour layover, with no proper visa. Airline stated they would provide us dinner, breakfast and lunch plus an overnight at this hotel. If I knew now what I didn't then, we would have found a way to go away from the airport and stayed elsewhere (when you exit arrivals, there are plenty of hotel transporters waving signs at you).

The lobby reeks of cigarette smoke. The staff at reception are too busy checking their social media than they are interested in assisting. And when you do get their attention, they are extremely rude. Didn't ask what our preference was, and initially was going to give us twin beds. I asked for one larger bed, and no smoking. You'd think I had asked for the world. She gave us a "King" bed on non smoking floor. We were forced to provide a credit card for 200¥ deposit, for what we aren't sure....perhaps so we don't steal the pillows?

The room: No wifi in the rooms at all, only a cable for internet access. The room at least didn't smell like smoke. The bed we got was round, not sure how they measure it as a King. It was hard, and the pillows were horrid - hard foam on one side, and some sort of rice/beans/pellets on the other side. The windows kept noise to an absolute minimum, but that didn't matter, as the noise from the hallway, doors slamming, people talking and the open atrium outside the hall help to keep you awake. There was no air con, the ducts blew heat all night long, no matter that I turned it to cool, and the temp right down. TV had limited channels, CNN and CCTV. The bathroom was clean, however the shower was skanky, from mold, cracked tiles, bad caulking and multiple re-caulking. Nasty. I do have to say that the water pressure was good, if you don't mind a jet blast of water, and at least it was hot. Shampoo, toothbrush and one bar of soap provided, and the worlds thinnest towels to dry off.

Food: 38¥ for breakfast buffet, 58¥ for dinner buffet. Breakfast was barely edible, no fruit, and no fresh tea. Dinner was marginally better, but that isn't saying much. Overlooked food,mans the principle protein source was chicken feet, which were at least edible due to a spicy sauce. There were at least 13 staff working the floor, yet again, no customer service whatsoever.

We decided to check out the bar, on the upper floor. This had a lot of potential, but was so bad, we just had to laugh. It's a cool spot, but the smell again of smoke (we think they must pump cigarette smoke thru the ventilation system, like Vegas does with oxygen) was so overpowering (there wasn't anyone else in the place except for staff), we had one drink and left. As neither of us drink beer, and figuring wine wasn't an option, we ordered a "Mary Rita" which was how the margarita was written on the menu. We got the tiniest martini glass on record, filled with straight tequila, and a squeeze of lemon....not lime, lemon. No sugar syrup, and certainly no triple sec. It was awful! The waiter/bartender got us hooked up on wifi, but due to the stench, we couldn't handle staying there for any length of time.

Overall, management should be ashamed of this establishment and how the staff don't care, are rude, and spend more time talking to their peers or on their cell phones, then they do providing customer service. Stay only if you are so desparate and have no choice to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ecowoman
Chelmsford
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I arrived at 2:30 a.m. following a five hour delay in my flight from Guangzhou. Book in was efficient and within ten minutes I was in my room. My first impression was good, it was clean and whilst not large it contained everything that I needed. Surprisingly little noise meant that I had a great night’s sleep. In the morning I had a wonderful shower in what was a functional room.
I just had a ten minute stroll, undercover into the International Terminal where I had breakfast. I have stayed in many airport hotels, a number of which have been more luxurious. Very few have offered such good value for money, in such proximity to the terminal. I shall definitely use this hotel next time I am departing from Shanghai Pudong Airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Neil046
sydney
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January 2013, booking it advance (on Ctrip) which I have heard is preferable. When I checked in at 11pm at night, I heard the receptionist tell someone else that they were full.

The hotel is located in the terminal, you have to walk approx 15 mins (I was jetlagged and tired and can't actually remember). The front desk don't speak much English - it's basic and passable. Note that you will need to sign various slips/forms/receipts (in Chinese and some translations in English). I think I signed 2 or 3 (one is a deposit, one is to check in) - so don't be alarmed if you feel you are signing different things. I asked what they were, and they were a bit rude in responding - this may be because I look as though I can speak Chinese but actually can't.

They key you get is strange, it took me about 5 mins to open the door. I think you need to rub it on something against the door. Sorry, I was so tired (flew from Syd to Beijing for a 10 hour layover then to Shanghai).

Everything in the hotel was nice, and clean. It wasn't too noisy and I found it great for the price (I think approx $60AUD) and the convenience - mostly because I was on my own and didn't want to catch a taxi at 11pm into Shanghai.

I found it hard to get good accurate info re this hotel, so if you have questions, let me know.

There is limited food available - I remember seeing a menu, but I thought it was going to be too difficult ordering in my passable Chinese, so I waited until the next morning and ate at the terminal.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pagda2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel in between two flights. The location is perfect between terminal 1 and 2 at Shanghai Pudong Airport and there's a five minute walk indoors to reach the terminals.
One negative thing is that there's no Wi-Fi in the rooms nor in the lobby. The only place with Wi-Fi is the bar on the top floor but there's cable internet access in the rooms.
The rooms are actually pretty cool with a round shape and a round bed. The bathroom is spacious and all rooms are facing either terminal 1 or 2. The negative thing with the room was that it's pretty worn and it's starting to be in need of refurbishing.
Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate and cost 38 RMB.

I would say that this is a good hotel (for 400 RMB) to spend a night in between two flights, but I would probably have avoided it if it was located in or closer to the city since there are much better hotels in Shanghai.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business