The Peninsula Shanghai
US$171
US$84
NewWorldHotels.com
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
US$218
US$143
  • Restaurant
US$269
US$215
  • Restaurant
1,258 results
All reviewsdressing roomnail dryeryi long courtrolls roycerooftop barwalk in closetcompass barbritish consulatelobby restaurantoscar de la rentaspa musicdressing areariver roomfax machinehigh teaart decomood lighting
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A truly lovely hotel. Our river view room was exquisite, everything had the "wow" factor and the 3 nights we stayed wasn't nearly long enough. I can't think of anything we didn't like. The staff are friendly and attentive and anxious to please, you can see that staff training is taken very seriously.
The location is excellent, walk out of the door and you are on The Bund. I could go on, but I suggest you go and experience the hotel and its facilities yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Cliveden09,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback about our staff and service. You hypothesis is correct, we spend an immense amount of time developing and training our staff as we wish for each member of our team to be a hospitality professional who will continue to grow with the company. I look forward to you coming back again soon- for longer this time!
Best wishes,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The quality of the fit out and amenities in our river view room, has to be the best we have experienced through our travels, in comparable standard hotels.
The mood lighting, electric blind and sheer curtains, the excellent quality in the furniture, drapes, dressing room, made our stay very enjoyable, while overlooking the spectacular skyline, simply stunning. The detail surrounding recessed ceiling bulkheads, concealed lighting, excellent..
However, there is no waiting space in the lobby, down the passage way to reception around the corner, made waiting for our guide, stand up room only, as insufficient space available.
The lobby lounge, busy with people having meals or high tea, detracted from the ambience of entering a luxury hotel, where open space and stunning decor is always welcoming.
The service at breakfast time could have been improved upon. An abundance of staff standing around waiting to clear dishes, could have been of better use in the kitchen.

Room Tip: River view room as a minimum, the river view suites must be so luxurious..
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear fvm54,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you found our guestrooms to be so well appointed- they are quite spectacular and the details that you highlight are very special. I appreciate your comments about the breakfast service which shall be looked in to. I look forward to your return visit soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is my first time to visit Peninsula in Shanghai. I cam here with expectation of Hong Kong Peninsula level of sevice. Of course the facilities and atmosphere is Peninsula but I am disappointed with service. When I got off from taxi, the doorman didn't open the taxi door neither greet the guest even though he did nothing. I had tea and dessert in the lobby lounge but all staff here looked just busy themselves. Most staff looked like part timer and seemed to have no idea what they should do. I could see that only one male staff did what to do. Others? Including female supervisor level staff was not attentive to real guest since she looked busy for giving direction to her staff. When giving direction or having conversation they were.very free to speak loud each other. It didn't match with classic music they played. It is definitely different from Hong Kong original. I don't know about room but lobby lounge which breakfast is served is not Peninsula level.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank okto0528

Dear okto0528,
Thank you for your comments about The Peninsula Shanghai. I am most concerned to read about your experience with us. As you will see from many of the reviews posted, this is not the standard for which we are known and I regret that you did not have a true “Peninsula” experience. I would like to further discuss this matter with you. Please feel free to contact me directly (garethroberts@peninsula.com).

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was my first visit to the Shanghai property, and I wasn't disappointed. From the Meet and Greet and Rolls Royce private transfer, it just continued to excel. As I arrived I was whisked away to my suite and checked in in the suite. After being shown the amenities, I then left and walked the hotel. A stop at Sir Elly's on the top floor is a must for a cocktail after 5pm and some snacks.

The main bar is worth a visit and of course the magnificent spa, for some superb treatments.

All in all, this was a true 5 star experience, as was expected.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear AussieIan,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad you enjoyed the “5 star” experience, it seems you were able to revel in some of our most wonderful assets- the beautiful view from Sir Elly’s restaurant and a treatment in our Forbes 5-Star Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

First of all, the Peninsula Shanghai is one of the most elegant and beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. Incredible luxury as you'd expect, and the staff were very polite and courteous.

Our only issue was the first night, the distinct, strong smell of cigarette smoke filled our room (we were told that it probably wafted across from the balcony of the room next door.) Both of us are non smokers and I suffer with mild asthma so this really was quite unpleasant and I couldn't get to sleep.

I called down to reception and they suggested an air filter (?!) which we tried for over an hour. When this didn't work I rang reception back and they told us it would take some time to prepare another room. By this time it was past midnight (we had first put in the complaint around 10:30pm).

I do not understand why they couldn't just move us to another room straight away, seeing as it was quite late and we had just arrived in Shanghai and were pretty exhausted. At the very least they could have apologised or offered a complimentary drink or an upgrade? Because of this blip in our stay I have taken off one star from my rating.

Other than that I really do not have any other complaints. The room was amazing - walk in wardrobe, large spa bath (with mood lighting and music at the touch of a button), the office area was surprisingly well equipped and it's amazing how all the little details had been thought of. We also took advantage of the free international calls to catch up with people at home!

The entire hotel is gorgeous and we tried their spa (couples package) and it was INCREDIBLE. The lobby had a live jazz band the night we arrived which was sampling big band pieces from the 1940s and they were flawless. The location of the hotel is fantastic - right on the Bund and excellent shopping areas within walking distance. We got a deal off c-trip which was great value too (bonus!)

Room Tip: Request a non smoking room if you are a non smoker!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SonyaZephyr,
Thank you for your review and comments regarding your experience at The Peninsula Shanghai. Our rooms are designed and equipped with many small details to make your stay even more comfortable and productive, I am glad you were able to enjoy these touches. Our Spa is a true asset and I am delighted that you found the treatment to be so pleasant.

I sincerely apologise for the matter related to the smoke smell. It seems that this issue could certainly have been handled in a more efficient way and I will be sure to share this example with the team as a learning tool in such circumstances. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I look forward to your return visit soon, our Moonlight Band our waiting for you in The Lobby! Please do let me know when you shall be returning (garethroberts@peninsula.com).

Warm regards,