“Great room & good service”

The Peninsula Shanghai
Ranked #12 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very beautiful rooms with good service. Everything in the room is well-thought out, room service is very prompt, however the level of service - attentiveness from staff can be improved and more personal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lin777
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Lin777,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai and feedback which is kindly noted. Please do feel free to contact me directly if there is a specific matter you wish to provide me with further details about (garethroberts@peninsula.com). I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Love the service and quality at this hotel and their beds are just so comfortable.
If you are in shanghai for only a day, this hotel is worth every penny. everything was perfect, though staff should be attentive and come back when asked for an item. Still this is highly recommended for shanghai.

Room Tip: Pick one with the bund view and higher floors. and reserver months before for greater deal.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlanWong14

Dear AlanWong14,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was fortunate to have both stayed and dined at the Peninsula in Shanghai and for me it was a luxury for the taking.

Traditional door service, immaculate in style and decor, rooms beyond criticism and food of your choice. The food and service at the special function was a real test and the Peninsula passed with flying colours - great food, exceptional service and timely delivery of all courses.

If you want one of the best views of the Bund (a must see) which is just across the road from the Peninsula then you must take the lift to the rooftop where the view of the Bund and surrounds is priceless.

Forget your cares and book now - a must visit for all travellers to Shanghai.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Greg B
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Greg B,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the event that you attended in the hotel. I am glad you were able to take in the spectacular view from Sir Elly’s Terrace on the 14th floor, it really is something special! Please do visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Comparing with Westin which I normally stay, Peninsula is very different style. They both very close to the bund where you can enjoy the morning/ evening walk in the Shanghai's iconic place. Peninsula is old fashion but classy and high level of attention to details. Loving the high quality tea set and it even has a nail dryer machine in the room. It also has copy/fax machine in the room which is very handly for business traveler.

The room is well appointed and always pleasent music in the lobby as expected the Peninsula style.

Don't miss the pencake in the breakfast, it's the best!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Echoi2000,
I am delighted that you decided to try out The Peninsula Shanghai for your most recent visit to Shanghai. We continue to enhance our experience so please come back again soon to see what other details have been added to our rooms!

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

In the fast paced, horn honking, hot, and pushy Shanghai, it is a pleasure to arrive at this island of tranquility. Located in the center of the Bund the hotel's views are spectacular. We arrived late and were whisked to our room, where the check in occurred. I hadn't seen the lobby until the next morning, and realized that unlike the Peninsula in Tokyo, where we stayed the previous night, the space was substantially larger and more luxurious. This is a large property punctuated with boutiques and surrounded by a beautiful garden. The rooms are a grade up from the Peninsula North American properties, of course, the restaurants are outstanding. I suggest the 14th floor lounge with the best views of the Bund, surpassing both the Fairmont and the House of Roosevelt. The spa was also fantastic, I got the best Chinese massage ever. My therapist was exceptional, thank you Penny.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear ygray,
Thank you for your review, I concur that we offer a haven of tranquility in energetic Shanghai! I’m glad you were able to experience our restaurants and The Spa during your stay with us. Penny is indeed an amazing therapist and a few years ago was named the Number One Therapist in China! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Because there was an international meeting, the entrance was blocked and metal detectors were required for entrance. A staff member met me at the car and personally escorted me to my room where he "checked me in". He apologized for the detectors and my bags were delivered within minutes. Within five minutes of leaving the car, I was relaxing with a nice glass of wine and a lovely dish of fruits. The river view room afforded me a fantastic view of The Bund. The room appointments were numerous. The entire staff is friendly and polite at all times. I expected a little stuffiness, but encountered none. This hotel is not inexpensive, but for a special city like Shanghai, it was ideal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Robin C,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I appreciate your understanding of the security measures in the hotel during your stay and I am glad to know that the team fully assisted you through them. Thank you for your kind comments about the team and service. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Peninsula Shanghai, symbol of status and excellence. I would say that it's definitely the best or one of the best Hotels in Shanghai. I even had my wedding at Peninsula a couple years back. But i must mention that i've just had a mediocre experience at Peninsula Shanghai this time round. It all started from my booking. I booked and was confirmed a deluxe king bed room, prior to my the confirmation, my secretary mentioned to me that my room would be a twin bed room. Never mind the mistake, I thought that it was acceptable because i'm having my anniversary celebration with my wife, but they told me that the hotel was fully booked and the next available was a suite. Fine, i paid 3 times more and upgraded to a suite since it was such a special occasion. I arrive the hotel at 10pm, and prior to my arrival on that day, my secretary sent over a cake made by a famous chef and a flowers that were specially ordered to the hotel at 3pm and told the hotel reception to setup the flowers and cake to be delivered to the room at 11pm. Also, they were told to set up balloons in the room. So, upon my arrival at the hotel at 10pm, the cake was sent to my room at 10:45 in a plastic bag by a guy that looked like a security guard in crumpled suit and run down tie. It was not an impressive moment, and i asked the guy, "where are my flowers", he shook his head and left. I called up my secretary and ask about my flowers, and in 10 mins two people came up to my room and said these are flowers by the hotel, never mentioning that these are flowers that are arranged by me. Not to forget the balloons, they had 10 helium balloons set up in a disappointing manner around the living room. That's really not the type of set up i intended for such a special occasion, especially when it was pre-coordinated with the manager. We clearly instructed balloons to tastefully set up and tied together in the living room with a card and the cake and flowers pushed in on a table at 11pm. Well, fine, i understand that there could be miscommunication and lack of precise execution. So, i ordered room service at 10.55pm. The room service came, and all the food was already put on the table outside, how do i know if it was protected on its way to my room. The chicken was dry and wontons were sour. Next morning, we had breakfast and saw the manager shouting at the intern telling her how the table set up should be, i thought that it could be done more discreetly especially when the breakfast area was full of guests. Lunch time came and we ordered room service, this time the service was good. The guy pushed in the trolley and took out each dish from the hot box and introduced each dish and asked for further assistance if needed. But the food was mediocre, the ruben sandwich was tasteless and the laksa had this thick oil over it. Check out came and the manager came to apologize for the messed up set up the previous night, probably because i complained to my secretary about the bad organization. But the apology was not sincere, more like a procedure, and said that there were miscommunications because i checked in too late and all the core staff weren't there to make sure the arrangements where made. But that shouldn't be an excuse because i'm paying full price and expected nothing less of peninsula. I didn't want to make a big fuss at the reception but he kept apologizing at the reception making me feel uncomfortable and having all the staff look at me like some crazy guest. Two days later the manager called my secretary and asked my secretary if i complained, actually i forgot about this matter. But thanks to his reminder, i thought i'd share my experience with the future guests of peninsula. In conclusion, and to be fair, Peninsula is really a great brand, Peninsula Shanghai has fantastic hardware and the rooms are extremely comfortable, if you are on holiday or business in Shanghai, i would highly suggest Peninsula, just don't make too many expected arrangements, especially if you are planning to check in late. And eat at their restaurant but not room services. They have 3 amazing restaurants. The concierge are really friendly and location is fantastic. I'd suggest a walk along the bund at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travelerkit
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear travelerkit,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us about your stay recently. I sincerely apologize for the experiences you encountered during your stay with us. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to further discuss this, I may be reached at garethroberts@peninsula.com. I do hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you.