“Best InterContinental Property in China”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #51 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Bali
“Best InterContinental Property in China”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

InterContinental Shanghai Expo is definately the best amongst all the InterContinental properties in China. The hotel creates a very comforting and cozy atmosphere for its guests. The facilities is definately first class! It has state of the art gym and pool. The massage treatment in the spa and the spa facilities was truly relaxing. The standard room size is normal, but it does have all the daily traveler necessities. The bathroom ammenities ''Agaria'' in the Club-floor rooms was a plus factor. The Club Lounge is extremely relaxing, with the upmost personalized service. I have also tried all the restaurants in the hotel and none of them was disappointing at all! The Chinese and Italian restaurant definately represents one of the world's finest in regards to culinary techniques. The hotel bar is a lovely place to have a glass of whiskey and a chat friends. The prices of the wines in the hotel is a little bit on the high side. Nevertheless, what is not to be missed, Sunday Brunch!!

Room Tip: Club Floor room is a must
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joey C
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We are pleased to hear that you did have great experience in the hotel. Thank you again for your recommendation and looking forward to treating you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Luckily I got upgraded to a corner suite and the views were absolutely fantastic! Lots of windows all around. A Club level room, and the complimentary breakfast (including made-to-order eggs) and the evening drinks and canapes were great. Super helpful staff goes above & beyond.

The room lights were tricky and I played a guessing game every day about which rocker switch did what, and I had to hit the switch just right before it would work. Same with the automatic curtains.

Do not drink the tap water. There is no signage and I just happened to flip through the room manual and saw the warning ........... on my 4th day in the hotel. I think I'd been using the bottled water provided! They provided at least 5 bottles every day.

Spa decor was superb in the entry and outer areas. Room ok. Shower door wouldn't stay closed and I had to hold it shut with my foot as I showered. I do not recommend the 30 minute neck and shoulder massage because you sit in a chair and the massage is through the terry cloth robe. Very weird. Also the pedicure was weird as they didn't soak the feet and remove dry skin. My toenails look good but my heels are still bad.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank CopperTravel
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you for staying in our hotel and taking time to share your great experience with us. We are very appreciated for your suggestion and recommendation. Hope you will come back soon! Happy New Year!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

I loved nearly everything about the Intercontinental Shanghai Expo except for the service in the lounge re a dietary request that I communicated that was not heeded. As I was only staying one night and arrived with about half an hour of lounge access when I asked if there was anything I could eat I was told there was just cheese and that I should have let them know in advance if I had any requests and said that I had but this didn't make a difference. They also suggested that I not go there for breakfast as I would be better looked after downstairs, I followed this advice but it meant that my lounge experience in essence was non existent. On the Sunday night I then went to find a restaurant at 8:50 pm but the chinese restaurant was closing (it was a Sunday) and I was asked to go to the buffet. I ordered a meal in the nearly empty Italian restaurant after inspecting the buffet and deciding it wasn't for me. It was great. My room was wonderful and an upgrade as a Ambassador member. Despite the hiccup I will stay there again but just find out who the correct person to communicate with in advance in terns of special needs.

Room Tip: Views of the river and city are great
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ross Y
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We really appreciated for your suggestions that enable us to work on areas where we have room for improvement. We hope we can welcome you back soon!
Lanciano, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have been here for my first time and I have to admit that is the best hotel I have ever stayed in Shanghai.
High luxury and comfort are the visit card of the Intercontinental Expo.
The rooms are excellent, spacious and fully equipped with: 42" TV with Bose surround system, king size bed very comfortable with a selection of pillows to choose from, spacious bathroom with double washbasin, shower and bathtub, wifi and cabled internet, mini bar, all you need in case you forget something such as: shaving kit, bathrobe, slippers, pyjamas,.....
The room I had has a nice view on Shanghi and on the river.
The hotel has also a fantastic pool, just watch the pictures on the Hotel web site.
The breakfast is varied and very good as well as the staff is always kind.
In some reviews some people are lamenting that staff is not speaking english very well and I have to admit that is true but I have also to highlight that compared to other chinese hotels the staff in the intercontinental is much better prepared and capable.
I finally highly suggest to book this hotel for your trip to Shanghai and I will definitively get back here.

Room Tip: If possible ask for room facing the river.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Anxanum
Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your comments with us. We are very appreciated for your recommendation and our facilities makes you feel comfortable. Look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Excellent location if you are attending the Shanghai Expo. The hotel and rooms were very nice, the buffet selection at the level restaurant was excellent for both breakfast and dinner. Room views on the river side was great. The gym facilities also were excellent. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have a shuttle going the the EXpo during the Dentech show. Trying to get a taxi after the show was almost impossible.

Room Tip: The hotel is a bit isolated, no restaurants and no shopping. Not a place to stay if you want to get...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us! We are pleased that you did enjoy your time in our hotel and really appreciate your great recognition. Thank you for your suggestion and we are currently looking into the possibility for a shuttle service for any big events around us in the Exhibition Center. We look forward to seeing you again.
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

The Intercontinental Expo has the best best facilities in Shanghai. Great swimming pool, top gym, and beautiful spa. All very clean and with attentive staff. Also, there is a beautiful garden (with villas for rent, and a nice English pub) ideal for outdoor events, or simply for a walk far from the mad crowd of Shanghai. To top it all, superb views of Puxi and Pudong. The best hotel in Shanghai

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking time to share your comments with us. We are honored to have great recognition from you. Thanks again for your recommendation and sincerely welcome you to our hotel in the future!
Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

The location is a bit far from everything, but it is a fantastic hotel. The area around was built for the expo and now it looks like a desert city. There are no restaurants within a walking distance and the few that you can find are not very nice.
In any case you can have a great meal at the hotel as the food is very good. Same apply for the breakfast which is fantastic. The rooms are very spacey and if you have a river view room it is a great view. The equipment in the room is very good with a wide LCD a fantastic boose hi fi system and iPod dock s system.
The manager is very attentive to your requests.

Room Tip: Try to have a river view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Carlos B
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your experience with us. Indeed the area around the hotel right now is not very busy yet, however with a short taxi ride of 5 minutes taxi you can reach the Mercedes the Benz Arena with multiple dining and entertainment options. Taking the taxi for 8-10 minutes will take you to the center of Lujiazui where the options for eating, drinking and shopping are endless. We hope to welcome you back again soon.