“Great location. Amazing views from the room. Nice room interior.”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #30 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Clearly one of the best hotels in Shanghai I've staid at. The location is very convenient if your are heading to the Shanghai exhibition halls. The views from the room are amazing, thx to the floor-to-ceiling windows.

Having tasty breakfast & coffee while watching dozens of ships passing by is certainly a cool touch to a business trip.

The staff is very friendly. The desk is comfortable for a few hours in-room working. The hotel's restaurants and breakfast area offer a vast choice of tasty food.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We're pleased to hear that your business trip sounded great during your stay with InterContinental Shanghai Expo. The hotel is located adjacent to the expo area with impressive views of Nanpu Bridge and Huangpu River. Thanks again for your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

Marcom Manager

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shanghai Expo

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel for a trade exhibition at the nearby SIEC venue and again had another wonderful stay. I stayed in a club floor room and was lucky to have a corner room with a river view - fantastic views at night having a quiet drink in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom had a lovely deep oversized tub - perfect for relaxing after a long hard day, with a separate shower cubicle. I loved the pillow top bed - one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Breakfast in the club lounge was plentiful and good quality and also there was free afternoon tea. I had a lot of dry cleaning and laundry and really appreciated the pick up in the morning and delivery the same day before 6pm - and prices were not so expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Carolina,

Thank you very much for your review of this hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you feel happy with the facilities, night view, pillows, breakfast, etc. We do appreciate your compilment and we will keep working better. Thanks a lot for your staying with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time in Shanghai so I really didn't know what area to go for so I decided to go with somewhere close to where I would be working and as I am a fan of Intercontinentals I decided on this. This one certainly didn't dissappoint with it's location, rooms, service and style. Good food and large selection for the breakfast buffet in the main restaurant as well as in the club which also has some stunning views, if the smog clears so you can see them that is!!! Rooms are modern and very comfortable and have everything you could need including free internet. The staff are also very helpful with the questions I had and steared me in the right direction for local points of interest. All in all a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I'm really pleased to hear that you feel more than satisfied with your stay including location, service, staff attitude, etc at InterContinental Shanghai Expo. We do appreciate your compliment for our hotel. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I found the hotel to be very exotic! The staff were fantastic and helpful with my lost luggage on my flight. My room was modern and spacious too. I enjoyed a meal in their restaurant which was fine dining at its best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us. We do appreciate your praise to our staff and we will continue working better together. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a truly wonderful business hotel, except for the very intermittent and weak Wi-Fi. The location is ideal if you have business in the expo area. However, if you are hoping to be near the central business restaurant district of the city, it is a bit off the beaten path.

If you stay here, be very sure to request a river view room. The views of the boat traffic on the river, the bridges, and the distant skyline are lovely.

The staff are very helpful. English speaking skills are adequate at best, but mostly barely sufficient for communicating. I did expect somewhat more for an international hotel with this reputation. The rooms are luxurious, the restaurants on property are excellent.

Did I mention the spotty, but free Wi-Fi was infuriating?

Room Tip: A Riverview is a must.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like our rooms with impressive views of Huangpu River and Nanpu Bridge. We do appreciate and value your feedback. Regarding the Wifi, we will pass your comments to our IT manager for improvement. Thanks again for your staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is one fantastic hotel. They gave me a corner room with spectacular views of the river. The rooms were great. Internet was free with their club membership. Breakfast spread was excellent. Staff is very courteous. A bit on the expensive side, but located near some excellent development.

Room Tip: Request a corner room with a river view. Join their club membership, its free.

Dear Guest,

Thanks you very much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and tha you received great service. As you mentioned, we are located on the adjacent to the World Expo area. Rooms and suites feature impressive river view and ciry's skyline views. Thanks again for staying with us.

Sincerely

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Poor experience ... Cafe 1188 - service and food quality suspect.
I had a Fillet steak with Fat on either edge ... Fillet ??
Also Breakfast was poor ... at least the Western version of breakfast ... Insufficient service, lack of English experienced staff .. Bacon inedible ... Unless I guess you grab some early !!

I have contacted Hotel and expressed my disappointment and have been invited back ... but not sure that I want to experience the poor food quality and restaurant service again.
I have to attend another Expo soon ... But to get there it requires a taxi journey .. So the name 'Expo' as someone else commented is inappropriate!
Could not get a Taxi back .. no-one would stop !!
So I walked several miles back to hotel !!

Rooms are good and should be at the price ... Reception and concierge staff good ... But Restaurant 'Cafe 1188' questionable, it appears that most staff were inexperienced and had difficulty understanding English and were slow to respond ... Although I cannot comment on the Italian and Chinese Restaurant as I did not use!

Attached Bar was pleasant as were the staff

I've stayed in their Holiday Inn chain and received better service art a fraction of the cost !

Room Tip: Rooms are good and should be at the price ... Reception and concierge staff good ... But Restaurant...

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are really sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We appreciate all your comments and suggestions, especially about the issues with the restaurants for breakfast. This is very important to us to improve the service and the product that we offer to our guests. Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Yours sincerely,