“Average Overrated Hotel”

Ranked #31 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Average Overrated Hotel”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in the hotel for business trip for 12 nights. Overall, the hotel is has its good and bad. I have stayed in other hotels in Shanghai and this hotel pales greatly in comparison for the service and location. I will probably not stay here again.

Service needs major improvement! It is impossible to get any attention of service staff for coffee fills at breakfast time. Best way would be to walk to the coffee machine (meant for staff) and get the coffee directly. Don’t ask the concierge for umbrella when you saw it’s raining. They will curtly and rudely tell you that you have an umbrella in your room. Any urgent posting of letters should be avoid if you stay in the Intercon hotel. The same concierge will inform curtly (again!) on two different occasions that they do not provide such service, which is weird because I have stayed in other Intercon hotels and they do have such services. When I tried asking for the location of the postal office at the concierge (again!) on a different occasion, I was informed that the office is at the back door of the hotel. Do not be deceived as the office is about 15 mins again with many turns. And by the way, the concierge did not offer further directions nor a map. Suggest to ask the Service Manager directly and avoid the concierge at all cost! Also, there was a major international political conference held in the hotel for a week in my second week of stay and roads in the business district and surrounding the hotel were closed at certain timings especially towards the evening. I was there for two weeks and noted that the hotel did not inform the patrons about the conference and the road closures and attempt to provide appropriate advice which would be extremely useful when all the roads are closed. This was a missed opportunity for the hotel to value add to their patrons.

Location: Location is a blow as the hotel is not in a centralized location. Cabs are hard to call in the morning and hotel does not provide shuttle services to the business district. That is strange considering that the hotel is positioned as a business hotel but do not offer value added services.

Room: Rooms are great and they are spacious. The bed is comfortable and housekeeping did a great job. Only gripe is that the automated blinds spoils easily. Mine was stuck and spoilt twice in my 12 night stay. But the rest of the room facilities. The Bose sound system is fantastic.

Amenities: Hotel has a big indoor heated pool. Gym is big with the basic equipment. There is a bar housed in a separate colonial bungalow just outside of the hotel which is a charm. I love the concept and feel of the bar.

Food: Intercon hotel’s breakfast always carry a wide selection which is consistent for this hotel. Selection is intercontinental with change in menu daily. In addition, the dinner buffet is value for money with wide selection of fresh food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Huang Pu River view and preferably, view of the bridge. The Huangpu bridge light...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you feel less than pleasant during your long stay in our hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience that our Concierge staff brought to you and they should behave in good manners. We will pass your feedback and suggestion to the Front Office department, and if you have more details to tell, you can also send an email to ihg@expo.com. On the other hand, thank you very much for your recognition for our spacious guest room featuring impressive view of the Huangpu River and Nanpu Bridge. Thank you again for staying in our hotel and we do hope that you can come back again.

Jennifer Tang
Marketing Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Al Khobar, Arabia Saudita
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

No compromise. It is in line with the best tradition of the hotel chain. Very good location near the expo and to the places where you would like to spend your free evenings in Shanghai. I booked at the last minute and I could not get a room with a view over the Shanghai tower and the city Skyline. Make sure to ask for it when you come over. Rooms are very well equipped and the staff is always smiling and really helpful; something hard to find in the hotels of Shanghai. My work took me out everyday from morning to evening so I could not fully enjoyed the facilities but breakfast is really five star varying from continental to international to all different oriental styles. I will definitively make this my working base in Shanghai

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We're pleased to hear that you feel great during your stay with us. As you mentioned, InterContinental Shanghai Expo is located adjacent to the Nanpu Bridge and Huangpu Bridge with impressive river view and city Skyline. Our Cafe 1188 is an all day dining restaurant, which offers worldwide flavors with local favorites. Thank you again for staying us. We hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great property overlooking the river. Wonderful English pub in a separate building in a courtyard setting. Near the Expo. Paulaner German brew pub/restaurant within walking distance, but not much else.

I was shocked to pay 57 RMB for a cup of coffee (almost US$10) in the lobby lounge. People don't hang around the lobby lounge for that reason. They could sell a lot more coffee if they charged "starbucks" pricing of 30 RMB. Really nice Italian restaurant on the 3rd floor overlooking the river.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We're glad to hear that you feel satisfied during your stay with us. The InterContinental Shanghai Expo, located adjacent to the Huangpu River and Nanpu Bridge, offers 384 contemporary guest rooms, suites and villas featuring impressive river view and a Mirror TV in bathroom. To speak of the villas, remodeled in a distillery of 1930’s, they are ideal for residence, meetings and events, where you can also explore The Liquor Factory, a British style bar with outdoor seating. Basilico is an must try Italian restaurant freatures authentic Italian delicacies with spectacular review view.

Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It was my family gathering. Initially, they upgraded me to a Suite as I am a RA member. The room is a little bit small for me, cause' I have 10+ relatives to visit my room. The lounge manager , Amanda recommended me to upgrade to Diplomat Suite which have a large living room with a dinning table and a kitchen. I just need to pay extra 200 USD. The view of the room is fabulous. The room is facing Huangpu River and Nanpu bridge is on my right hand side. Definitely, I will revisit this hotel.

Room Tip: The club lounge view is fabulous
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks you very much for your review of this hotel. We're pleased to hear that you feel satisfied with the facilities, service, especially the views during your stay at InterContiental Shanghai Expo. As you mentioned, the hotel is located adjacent to the Huangpu River and Nanpu Bridge with impressive river views and city's skyline views. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Clearly one of the best hotels in Shanghai I've staid at. The location is very convenient if your are heading to the Shanghai exhibition halls. The views from the room are amazing, thx to the floor-to-ceiling windows.

Having tasty breakfast & coffee while watching dozens of ships passing by is certainly a cool touch to a business trip.

The staff is very friendly. The desk is comfortable for a few hours in-room working. The hotel's restaurants and breakfast area offer a vast choice of tasty food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We're pleased to hear that your business trip sounded great during your stay with InterContinental Shanghai Expo. The hotel is located adjacent to the expo area with impressive views of Nanpu Bridge and Huangpu River. Thanks again for your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

Marcom Manager
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel for a trade exhibition at the nearby SIEC venue and again had another wonderful stay. I stayed in a club floor room and was lucky to have a corner room with a river view - fantastic views at night having a quiet drink in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom had a lovely deep oversized tub - perfect for relaxing after a long hard day, with a separate shower cubicle. I loved the pillow top bed - one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Breakfast in the club lounge was plentiful and good quality and also there was free afternoon tea. I had a lot of dry cleaning and laundry and really appreciated the pick up in the morning and delivery the same day before 6pm - and prices were not so expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Carolina,

Thank you very much for your review of this hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you feel happy with the facilities, night view, pillows, breakfast, etc. We do appreciate your compilment and we will keep working better. Thanks a lot for your staying with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time in Shanghai so I really didn't know what area to go for so I decided to go with somewhere close to where I would be working and as I am a fan of Intercontinentals I decided on this. This one certainly didn't dissappoint with it's location, rooms, service and style. Good food and large selection for the breakfast buffet in the main restaurant as well as in the club which also has some stunning views, if the smog clears so you can see them that is!!! Rooms are modern and very comfortable and have everything you could need including free internet. The staff are also very helpful with the questions I had and steared me in the right direction for local points of interest. All in all a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer T, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I'm really pleased to hear that you feel more than satisfied with your stay including location, service, staff attitude, etc at InterContinental Shanghai Expo. We do appreciate your compliment for our hotel. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.