InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Eiffelton Hotel(Shanghai)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe club loungemercedes benz arenananpu bridgegreat hotelroyal ambassadorihg memberriver viewcorner roommeeting roombusiness tripmain restaurantroom upgraderoom service isbreakfast buffetacross the riverconcierge deskspa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Ideal location if you're attending the expo but a little far from the bund although worth the extra time and money in a taxi given the quality of the hotel. The large lobby area is the first thing that strikes you, but the rest of the hotel is equally impressive. Don't miss the spa.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2010

This hotel is beyond a doubt the new standard in luxury and excellence in hospitality. Every coorner of the facility is spotless and the staff has been in training well before the hotel opened. 2 restaurants, outdoor garden and pub, nightclub on site. Bravo!

ps - Well it might not be in Puxi or the French Concession hte hotel is rightt across the bridge and a short cab ride from the Expo site. We had no problem getting to all the hot spots for awesome Shanghai nights.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2010

My stay at the Intercontinental Expo for business was excellent. The service was outstanding. Staff was everywhere anticipating the needs of their guests. Even the general manager of the hotel was greeting guests in the lobby. I had some coats delivered to the hotel and the staff was more than helpful in translating for me with drivers and tailors. Breakfast buffet was the largest I have ever seen and even the two level executive lounge had a buffet with a great selection and chef at the ready. Italian ad Chinese restaurants were good . Airport like security at entrance. Room was typical Intercontinental high standard with separate shower and bathtub. The Executive Floor has beautiful river views and snacks and happy hour. Worth it! Ok the negative---the only thing it is near is the Expo and you walk a block to the expo bus which takes you in a back gate(4) which is less crowded. With three to six hour waits to get into most country pavilions I was done after seeing the fantastic architecture of the pavilions from the outside. This is not the hotel for you if you want to walk to other major attractions. It is all a cab or subway ride. I hate to say that because this is a great new hotel. One staff person genuinely told me that "service was his passion." Sheila B.,NYC

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2010

My stay in this new "five star" hotel can be described in one word, a disaster!

The hotel is brand new and so seemed the management! I would have expected from a renowned chain with loads of experience like IC is to manage this hotel with acceptable level of standards. It appears that the big boss at this hotel is taking it too easy. Let me elaborate on the disappointment felt during my weekend stay at this hotel with Expo visit as the main purpose of travel. I got a club room at the 26th floor.

1) The AC was not working and I was up at 5AM as room turned warm. I reported the problem on my way for breakfast and was told upon my return to room late afternoon that problem was sorted out. I had to suffer another night with no AC!! There were plenty of rooms to move me to but no one bothered to check if problem was resolved! All what I wanted in this physically intensive trip to the expo is a peaceful sleep. Sadly this was too much to ask in a new 5star hotel managed by IC.

2) The afternoon tea advertised benefit of the club floor served between 14:30-17:00 turned out to be a cup of coffee/tea with nuts/biscuits! I call this a false advertisement coupled with a lack of taste.

3) The spa design is one of the best I have seen in recent years in city hotels, but again the management can spoil it. The spa staff seem to lack training. I had a 1 1/2 treatment session in a fancy place and was not even served something to drink! The quality of treatment was 4/10 coming at inflated price.

4) The hotel is fairly new and 9/20 taxis in Shanghai do know where its located and how to reach it. In contrast, the hotel management/staff behavior seen as if this is a city landmark! I called the concierge asking him to talk to a couple of drivers to give directions and drivers barely made it to hotel. The address card (which include a map) the concierge pass to guess is useless. I had to ask a staff member to elaborate on the location on a piece of paper and it turned out to be an assay!

5) Location is not ideal (this is the only remark that I can not attribute to management!) and it's far from everything you want to see with the exception of the expo. This place would turn dead after the expo is over. Even the night club seemed deserted and dead on the weekend. I wonder who will find this location a plus?!

This describes the poor experience at this hotel. Things I liked, the newish feel of the hotel, design, swimming pool, and view from the club lounge. Room size is average. Internet wifi/pc station access is complementary at the lobby level (why not offer the same in club lounge??!).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dabbagmm
Reviewed 2 June 2010

First of all i have to say that this hotel has a great potential to be one of the best hotels in Shanghai. It is only been open for one month and it is working out the normal staff daily work requirements. But with THe management that is in place I believe in a short time they will have all the bugs worked out. The rooms are great, roomy and the view is one to sit and watch the boats go by. This is located in the area of the expo, for some reason not the fault of the hotel the hotel was supposed to be located in the expo ring but its just outside which some taxi's have a hard time finding. So when you get into a taxi be prepared to call the front dexk and have them give the taxi driver the direction, because some streets are block off for the expo. The resturant staff is great had a wonderful meal and the manager Paul took great care to make sure things were perfect.The Hotel Concierge was helpful when i hada small issue checking in. He took a personal touch to make sure everything was taken care of. I will definetly make a point to stay there again when i have time to visit the expo.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo