“Enjoyable week-end..”

InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
Ranked #34 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Travelling by car, my gps sent me to the club tower (backside of the main building), but not a big trouble, as the staff handled my booking cey efficiently and arranged a golf cart to drive me to the main tower.
Arrived there, my luggages were handled by staff and directly drop in my room.
I was given a corner room, (huge) with a bathroom almost the size of the room herself.
Room was faultless, with huge confy bed, a desk, a couch, i appreciated the nespresso machine.
Bkfst plenty of choice, attentive staff.

I will for sure choose this hotel again on my next trip to Shangahi.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Staff are friendly and check in was reasonably swift - they did insist on blocking £1000 equivalent on the credit card for the stay which was annoying.

Room I got was great - 31st floor, corner, great view, loads of space. Comfortable bed.

Heating / cooling was not great for control - largely too warm.

Lovely bathroom - the wet room style shower does not drain well to the plug and the cleaners must have to push / wipe the water away to get it dry.

At times there is a significant wait for elevators, just 4 lifts for 31 floors of the main towers does not seem enough at times. Muzak is also pumped in - why oh why in a 5 star hotel!

Breakfast unless you go at 6am (which after the first day I did) was chaos, masses of people around the food areas, people randomly sitting down outside of table allocated by staff meant that one time I got back to your table to find someone trying to sitting there.

I used the gym it was very good, cardio, weights and pool. Muzak was pumped into the gym, slow stuff - useless to exercise to. Also curious gym etiquette of many users, using mobile phones whilst exercising - loud conversations and one chap playing games on it to such a degree he almost fell off the treadmill. Spa looked nice - expensive in comparison to other 4 or 5 start hotels in China. Did not use.

Wifi was free, I found it unstable, useable for browsing, but not for business email loads.

Drinks at the bar were also expensive - really well over the top. 50% premium on what I would pay in London.

When I left, my pre-booked taxi was messed up. Despite checking three times the time and that it was done, it came 30 mins early and they could not find me. Another one was called, but it made leaving more hassle than it could have been.

The hotel lacked the service excellence and small details that JW Marriott in Jakarta managed effortlessly. I will try somewhere else the next time I am in China.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and ask for a view facing the Shanghai Tower.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Seven22
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed last week at this hotel for 4 nights while in a business trip to Shanghai. The room was extremely luxurious, well appointed and in a good location. The thing that I did not enjoy was the fact that I had to change rooms twice due to the fact that the temperature control was not working and it seems that the air conditioning was centrally controlled and not individually controlled. The heat was set at 24.5 Celsius which is way too hot and was hard to get a good sleep. The other thing is that some if the guests don't seem to adhere to the non-smoking policy and you can smell smoke through the ventilation which was rather gross but I wonder if this is more of a China issue and not a hotel issue. Dean the manager was very accommodating and was courteous.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I preface this by saying this was my first trip to China, so I was a little nervous on what to expect. The check in was seamless, the staff at the desk spoke very good English and it felt as if I was checking in at a hotel anywhere in the US. That is a huge compliment to the hotel. They upgraded us to the club tower, the only minor delay was for the shuttle over to the other tower. After waiting 10 minutes we asked how far it was and it was simply a few minute walk through the facility. The rooms are very spacious, one of the largest I've had anywhere. I had a corner room so my layout was considerably different than the other two in our group but I didn't mind it. Favorite feature was the "throne room" with the Toto bidet toilet. Room had bottled water, nespresso machine (although they charge you quite a bit for the capsules??) The view was of a empty demo'd lot but I didn't really stay here because of the view! We stayed 4 nights and pretty much had the same routine everyday. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was very good to "westerners" you can find something that you want every morning. They have coffee shop quality latte's. The bar didn't impress us but manage your expectations of a hotel bar. The gym is probably the largest/nicest I've ever seen in a hotel anywhere! All brand new top of the line equipment and huge! I've stayed at so many hotels in my travels and I've never seen a workout facility like that, my Lifetime Fitness at home isn't as big?? Overall very impressed by the stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very good experience overall. Checking in was smooth and pleasant at the Ambassador desk. I was upgrade to the club lounge tower which is a short walk away from the main tower. It's much quieter. The lounge is comfortable with excellent service. Evening snacks were plentiful and of good quality.

My room was spacious and very well anointed. However, on my last night's stay, I could hear the loud snoring from the neighboring room.

The location of the hotel is close to the Shanghai railway station and less than 10 mins drive to the People's Square. Getting a taxi was not a problem during the day but in the evening it was a nightmare.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank arnab1978
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in a standard room. Great room with all amenities and everything necessary. Very comfortable bed, quality linen and comfortable pillows. Cannot fault anything other than that there are no hooks in the bathroom area to hang up a towel. Would have no
hesitation in returning. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The room service food was top notch

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SuperSpeed
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a real gem at the railway station. I had stayed here before but not in a while. Upon arriving at the railway station and realizing the train I needed was sold out I took a short walk to the Hotel. It is a large campus and has multiple towers. When I arrived I handed the girl at the Ambassador counter my card and explained my situation. Rather than taking advantage of my position, she and the desk manager offered me an upgraded room with free breakfast. I paid around 179.00 us and that was almost 80.00 less than the Springhill suite I stayed in earlier in the week at San Angelo TX. Sorry I regressed. Steven, also at the desk then personally took me to the room, stowed my luggage and turned down my bed. I felt cared for. The next morning was a huge surprise. While i had stayed before and taken lunch, I was overwhelmed with the selection and quality of the breakfast. It was a full option Asian/US buffet with cooked to order eggs and omelets as well as noodle selections while you wait. David in the dining room did a great Job. The last shout out I must give is to Lee at the concierge desk. Lee bought me a ticket on the next day train and handed it to me personally without any of the difficulties of going through the ticket office. (the fee was $5.00) One reminder, watch out for scammers and shakedown artist on the streets. That area has a few around. But as long as you stay in the Hotel at night you are as safe as any place I have been. Great amenities include pool, gym, spa, and steam room. Great stay Great location.

Room Tip: Ask for the complementary breakfast. Club Intercontinental was closed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo