“Grandly Intercontinental, breathtaking lobby”

InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
Ranked #40 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 April 2014

First glance of this exceptional property, was welcomed and got myslef fixated with their beautiful unique chandelier in their extremely grand expanse of a lobby. Only stayed a short one night, this Intercon is definitely grander than most of the same namesakes I have been to.

Smiles were a plenty, check in was brisk and pleasant by their very friendly Reception. Staffs are generally pleasant and acknowledges you whenever you are at the public area.
Concierge were efficient and very helpful, left a paper bag whilst I went up to get some stuffs, on my way back - the bag was efficiently passed to me without even having to ask. Anticipation of this sort is getting rare nowadays even with most luxury properties.

Rooms were very grand and spacious. Decor were pleasant and looks luxuriously appointed. It was comfortable and welcoming. The couches spans across the whole windows, even comfortable to be a small bed too. Also with a large ensuite bathroom and separate toilet cubicle, the toilet cubicle is fitted with automated sensors, very convenient and something quite rare!

Only gripe is the location is not near my intended areas, the jam in front of the main road can be excruciatingly long.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Adcye
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shanghai Puxi

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is my 2nd stay of the hotel. The hotel is actually a very nice one and can see that the owner has poured a lot of money on the hardware. You can find a much larger LCD TV and bath tube compare with other hotel. The hotel lobby is also very nice.

Just had some problem with the hotel, the hotel promised to upgrade me to suite the first time but eventually they can max they can do is a suite, after showing them the email and arguing for a while they finally upgrade to suite. The 2nd time they've already upgraded to suite without any pre-notice. However, there is absolutely no hot water even I open the tap for half an hour. I need to wait till the engineers to fix it at midnight!! finally they said there is absolutely no problem at all... but after that i feel the temp is way higher the i can accept. this is the only 5* hotel I couldn't bath at night...

Afterfall, the hotel has pretty nice breakfast (you need to dine a restaurant, not club lounge which has limited selections), the hotel also close to Shanghai station which is close nice.

Room Tip: the club room is big enough for most purpose, certainly a suite could be nice. club room is essenti...
1  Thank Joejoejoehk
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, arriving late, early in the morning. Took about 40 minutes from airport Hongqiao. The entrance to the hotel is very grand with water features dominating the whole foyer. The reception is directly to the right a bit hidden away. I was acknowledged for being a IHG Gold member and was given an upgrade to one of the corner suite in the main tower on the 30th Floor.

The room is amazing with floor to ceiling glass windows. The view is OK, I got the view of the back of the hotel. Big bed, a sofa, separate section for wardrobe and luggage area, big bath and shower, toilet is Japanese type with all the electrical controls, table and chair to work on, all the usual amenities in a 5 star hotel, room service was quick and food was good. The laundry service was good and fast. Turn down service is available too.

I didn't try the breakfast but had a look and saw that the varieties is quite good. I did tried the Business Centre located on the ground floor. The gym was not open for 24 hours a day as stated in the hotel handbook. A nice big gym nonetheless.

The hotel is located about 10 mins walk to the nearest underground station, think it's Line 2. There are some shops and restaurants near the hotel, a Mc Donalds and Starbucks across the road too. I think there is a department store but I didn't get a chance to look. Easy to get around, especially to the Bund and Nanjing Road (not walkable) so need to take taxi or the metro.

The concierge was very helpful and speak very good English. My only complaint was when I checked out very early (5.30am) I requested for a breakfast box to go. I got an apple, some croissants packed into a plastic container (squashed) and a bottle of sparkling water. I think this is the worst breakfast box I ever had from a 5 star hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Travelling by car, my gps sent me to the club tower (backside of the main building), but not a big trouble, as the staff handled my booking cey efficiently and arranged a golf cart to drive me to the main tower.
Arrived there, my luggages were handled by staff and directly drop in my room.
I was given a corner room, (huge) with a bathroom almost the size of the room herself.
Room was faultless, with huge confy bed, a desk, a couch, i appreciated the nespresso machine.
Bkfst plenty of choice, attentive staff.

I will for sure choose this hotel again on my next trip to Shangahi.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Staff are friendly and check in was reasonably swift - they did insist on blocking £1000 equivalent on the credit card for the stay which was annoying.

Room I got was great - 31st floor, corner, great view, loads of space. Comfortable bed.

Heating / cooling was not great for control - largely too warm.

Lovely bathroom - the wet room style shower does not drain well to the plug and the cleaners must have to push / wipe the water away to get it dry.

At times there is a significant wait for elevators, just 4 lifts for 31 floors of the main towers does not seem enough at times. Muzak is also pumped in - why oh why in a 5 star hotel!

Breakfast unless you go at 6am (which after the first day I did) was chaos, masses of people around the food areas, people randomly sitting down outside of table allocated by staff meant that one time I got back to your table to find someone trying to sitting there.

I used the gym it was very good, cardio, weights and pool. Muzak was pumped into the gym, slow stuff - useless to exercise to. Also curious gym etiquette of many users, using mobile phones whilst exercising - loud conversations and one chap playing games on it to such a degree he almost fell off the treadmill. Spa looked nice - expensive in comparison to other 4 or 5 start hotels in China. Did not use.

Wifi was free, I found it unstable, useable for browsing, but not for business email loads.

Drinks at the bar were also expensive - really well over the top. 50% premium on what I would pay in London.

When I left, my pre-booked taxi was messed up. Despite checking three times the time and that it was done, it came 30 mins early and they could not find me. Another one was called, but it made leaving more hassle than it could have been.

The hotel lacked the service excellence and small details that JW Marriott in Jakarta managed effortlessly. I will try somewhere else the next time I am in China.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and ask for a view facing the Shanghai Tower.
1  Thank Seven22
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed last week at this hotel for 4 nights while in a business trip to Shanghai. The room was extremely luxurious, well appointed and in a good location. The thing that I did not enjoy was the fact that I had to change rooms twice due to the fact that the temperature control was not working and it seems that the air conditioning was centrally controlled and not individually controlled. The heat was set at 24.5 Celsius which is way too hot and was hard to get a good sleep. The other thing is that some if the guests don't seem to adhere to the non-smoking policy and you can smell smoke through the ventilation which was rather gross but I wonder if this is more of a China issue and not a hotel issue. Dean the manager was very accommodating and was courteous.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I preface this by saying this was my first trip to China, so I was a little nervous on what to expect. The check in was seamless, the staff at the desk spoke very good English and it felt as if I was checking in at a hotel anywhere in the US. That is a huge compliment to the hotel. They upgraded us to the club tower, the only minor delay was for the shuttle over to the other tower. After waiting 10 minutes we asked how far it was and it was simply a few minute walk through the facility. The rooms are very spacious, one of the largest I've had anywhere. I had a corner room so my layout was considerably different than the other two in our group but I didn't mind it. Favorite feature was the "throne room" with the Toto bidet toilet. Room had bottled water, nespresso machine (although they charge you quite a bit for the capsules??) The view was of a empty demo'd lot but I didn't really stay here because of the view! We stayed 4 nights and pretty much had the same routine everyday. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was very good to "westerners" you can find something that you want every morning. They have coffee shop quality latte's. The bar didn't impress us but manage your expectations of a hotel bar. The gym is probably the largest/nicest I've ever seen in a hotel anywhere! All brand new top of the line equipment and huge! I've stayed at so many hotels in my travels and I've never seen a workout facility like that, my Lifetime Fitness at home isn't as big?? Overall very impressed by the stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business