“Worst ever price guarantee policy, bad IHG member benefit”

InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
Ranked #49 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I Booked the room directly at IHG site based on their price guarantee program. Then I found at least 3 international sites selling the same room at least 25% cheaper. But they rejected to offer he same rate as other sites by saying they now bill is at CNY, but other sites even quoted in CNY, final charge are in USD. They said no matter how much cheaper other sites after currency conversion, unless other site can charge me in CNY, their policy is still not accept the claim. It's 25% cheaper n I booked 4 nights, the total difference in amount is over 200 usd but still not valid.
Another unreasonable point is, they said unless I book thru IHG site, or else even I stay there, my stay still can't accrual points. U are charging 25% more, how could I book with u direct???
Also inside their website , they said IHG member can get free wifi in room. I booked their deluxe room, which is the 3rd most expensive grade just after the club room, but they still said because I'm basic member, no free wifi can offer.....
I'm so disappointed for this hotel. How could a five star hotel not having free wifi ? Especially I'm not booking the cheapest room and is their member..... This is an incredibly bad service I've ever experienced from a five or even 4 star hotel

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank chachaho
Lily S, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Puxi. Regarding to The Best Price Guarantee is Group promise that the best hotel room prices for any InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) property can be found directly on our Web sites. If you find a lower room price (room rate) with a lower total room cost (including all taxes and fees) on a publicly available competing Web site for the same hotel, type of accommodation and rate restrictions on the same date(s), we’ll not only match that lower room price, we’ll give you your first night’s room price free, subject to the Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions. To use the Best Price Guarantee, you must notify us within 24 hours of making your IHG reservation by filling out the online form. For further information, you may click https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/customer-care/best-price-guarantee.
Our hotel front desk staff will verify guest IHG member information upon guest check-in. All IHG members may entitle to have free internet access in our hotel.
Please feel free to contact Reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your enquiries and future bookings. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just check out the toilet in this hotel...You walk in and the lid lifts automatically and the seat warms for you! Then, after you have done what you went in for it gives you a wash/dry option! It is a really lovely hotel with really nice rooms and public areas. I'm not very keen on the food but fellow travellers who like Chinese food say it was very good. Lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Not aware of any bad rooms but I wouldn't really know.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Lily S, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Puxi. We would be very much delighted to have you back at our hotel and wish you have a memorable stay with us again. Please feel free to contact Reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your future bookings. I look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had the opportunity to stay at this magnificent hotel, and the staff were really great with a great view from the hotel room. The bathroom was nice and the breakfast served by the hotel were really delicious too. Concierge were fantastic and helpful by getting taxis and telling the driver where we wanted to go

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Lily S, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Puxi. We have shared your compliments with our team and they feel very encouraging. We would be very much delighted to have you back at our hotel and wish you have a memorable stay with us again. Please feel free to contact Reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your future bookings. I look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had drinks and food in their lobby lounge, was shocked by their service. It's definitely not an international 5 star hotel. I understand it's during World Cup period, but the uniform they wear r not 5 star hotel standard. Staff looked so unhappy when they were serving us. I have stayed in intercontinental in Sanya before, it's totally different. U will never take these two hotels as a same brand.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Puxi. Regarding to your experience in our hotel, we are awfully sorry to hear that. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Your feedback has been shared with our team’s for service attitude improvement to prevent such service shortfall from happening again. Please feel free to contact Reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your future bookings. I look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'd spotted this hotel on a previous trip to Shanghai and booked it before I'd read some of the critical comments on Tripadvisor. The good news is we found the service better than we'd feared. We had booked a Club Room in the annex, got there and didn't like it. Instead we upgraded to a suite, still only £200, much cheaper than nearby Shangri-La and Ritz Carlton.
Service generally was attentive, and if not as smooth as the above two hotels, certainly nothing to complain about. You can tell they are making an effort. Management at breakfast time wanted to make sure we we had what we wanted. The bowler hatted concierge staff did they best even if my Chinese colleague thought they looked like Odd Job from a Bond movie!
The hotel is well located for the French Concession and the gardens make a tranquil change from the hustle & bustle of Shanghai. Apart from breakfast we didn't eat there. We used the bar in the huge reception area. Service was okay even if they did try to serve wine that had been open since the day before. That apart, no complaints.

Room Tip: The club rooms are 200m away from the main building in a building that reminded us of a mausoleum. W...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PXJSingapore
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I didn't take to Shanghai at all - I found it uninspiring, shallow and could be 'done' in a day. So the fact that I got upgraded to their wonderful Duplex Suite with floor to ceiling windows and more space than a solo traveller could swing in, the Hotel itself became the highlight of my few days in the city. Extremely polished and professional staff - whom IHG/Intercontinental should be sending to the 4 corners of the globe. Rooms - for me - were superb and a technological delight. Staff were honest when a tour couldn't be fulfilled ( a rarity, culturally, in china). Really nice restaurants. A haven from a desperately needy city that bored me!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Lily S, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Shanghai Puxi. We would be very much delighted to have you back at our hotel and wish you have a memorable stay with us again. Please feel free to contact reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your future bookings. I look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel rooms are the best thing about this hotel, clean, relatively big with all the mod cons. It is let down by the hit and miss service and poor quality of food on offer.

With regards to the staff, I found the more junior members of staff polite, helpful and friendly. At the other side of the scale, the supervisors and managers are arrogant and unhelpful.

The hotel is let down by the food quality. During my stay i went to breakfast between 9.30 and 10. The food often looked overcooked, was cold and looked old. One night the cheese was left uncovered and ended up being covered in flies. No doubt this will then be used at breakfast

Apart from the two above points the hotel is in a good location - perfect for both business and travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest, thank you for choosing InterContinental Hotel. Regarding to your experience in our hotel, we are awfully sorry to hear that. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We will take corrective measures on food preparation and quality of cooking, also enhancing staff training. Please feel free to contact Reservations@icshanghaipuxi.com at anytime for your future bookings. I look forward to see you soon.