“what a pleasant surprize!”

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #33 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Savannah, Georgia
“what a pleasant surprize!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was originaly booked at central hotel (sister property across the street) but had to change reservations at the last moment and by mistake booked grand central hotel (came for check in at central and was redircted to the grand central property and they took my luggage across the street for me). i did not know what to expect, but as soon as i walked into the room i was glad i made te mistake with booking. they placed me on the non-smoking floor, which did not have even a hint of cigaret smell. the room was big, spottles, nicely decorated with all 5 start accomodations. i could not believe that for such a low rate you can possibly get such a great hotel. the location is excelent and is only a 2 min walk from the nanjing rd train station green line and is one stop away to people square, financial district (lujiazui station green line) and one stop to old town/yuyuan gradens (yuyuan station purple line). you can also easily walk to all those locations and the Bund under 30min. financial district is also hard to reach by foot because it is across the river. the nunjing street itself is shanghai's version of time square and fun to explore. we did not eat at the hotel, but breakfast buffet is 20 usd per person and dinner is 50usd/person. stuff speaks english, but you are not in te US so lower your expectations. they will be able to answer all your basic questions and if they cant understand you just change your wording and repeat but overall communication has not been an issue for us. just would like to add that getting to and from the pudong airport is very easy and cheap. just get on the muglev line at the airport and when it arrives to the city (this train develops the speed of 400km/hr and is an experience of its own. it also has only one stop so you dont have to wonder which stop is yours) get a train to the nunjing rd green line. the whole trip should take less than an hr, about 30 min depending on the train schedule, but overall the subway system is super efficient with trains running every 2min with the cost of 3 yuan or 50 cents. we have stayed at mandarin-oriental in sanya the following week and the room was somewhat nicer, but the room service (turn-down service in the evening) was better in grand central and overall the extra 200usd/ night more was not worth it. so beeing a traveler with relatively high but reasonable standards i would stay there again and would not even bother to look for another hotel, since this place is a real 5-star find for a 3-star price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nchernyak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

This is a beautiful property. I got a weekend rate here of about $140 US per night so i moved here for the location and i'm so glad i did. I think when traveling in China you have to recognize that even in the high end places you are not going to have English speaking staff that speak like natives. They will have some English but not enough to deal with complex requests. So if you are easily frustrated by that, China will be an exercise in frustration in general. If this hotel had Western service standards, I'd be giving it 6 stars. But I'd also be tipping every man and his dog for every single thing they did for me, unlike here. There are lots of little things wrong here but that's part of China. The coffee is terrible, the WIFI won't work but the wire will so I don't care, they can't for the life of them make an actual piece of toast, there's no Tribune or WSJ offered, they forgot to transfer my luggage after a room change so 6 hours later when i got back my luggage was no where to be found (we found it) and if you request anything that diverts from the norm it always causes a kerfuffle of confusion (i.e. ordering a la carte rather than breakfast buffet). The standard of perfection is just not here yet.

Now, on the really good side...I have found everyone on the staff to be very helpful and mostly very friendly. They checked me in really early without question. This is something I love about hotels here. If there is a room, they don't make you jump through hoops to get in early. And as I write this, my very friendly housekeeper, Tiffany, who introduced herself to me, is setting out my special order vanilla neck pillow. The hotel is regal and stunning from the lobby to the room and I think every room is different. And being the noise-phobic crazy person i am i did request a room change as I so often do to get off the street side of the hotel and the incessant horn honking, to which they obliged willingly. The decor is not standard at all, unique rugs, high end wallpaper, recessed ceilings with chandeliers, a king sized bed with down comforters and a custom pillow menu. It's a firm bed so if you like a cushy top mattress, no, this isn't it. But really comfy, And they offer little niceties like plunger coffee in the room rather than your standard Nescafe pack. And the tub is the size of my pool at home. The room is dead quiet. The location is FANTASTIC if you are a tourist, right near the Bund, the Nanjing road shopping street, etc. I'd race to stay here again.

Room Tip: As usual, my room choice is always made on what's quietest, not location or view. This hotel is...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BEKTraveler
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

We did not stay here but I just thought I would mention that they were helpful and their chef understood about possibly cooking gluten free. We made enquiries to many hotels with either no reply or one not understanding of the problem. In the end we did not stay here as we found one with an aussie cook who was also helpful :) I am posting this as a heads up to any coeliac sufferers who might be going to Shanghai.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

For short trip to Shanghai we selected the Grand Central for its location one block back from Nanjing Road and close to just about everything Shanghai has to offer. A business suite was the perfect choice -a one bedroom apartment with ample room and comfortable and clean. The only issue was the 'security' latch that broke on the last day which caused the staff some concern and nearly delayed our departure - not so secure after all. Can't fault the hotel but maybe the staff need some education in superior customer service???

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The web site does not do justice to this excellent hotel. This hotel was excellent from check in to check out. Check in was a breeze. The clerk was very helpful. The room was excellent, spotless, correct temperature, nicely appointed with TV, shower and separate tub and great view. Hotel safe that is large enough for everything we had. I did not eat at the hotel so I cannot talk about that. We arrived late so we ate at subway subs on Nanjing.
We only stayed 2 days, but we enjoyed this hotel. IT IS A 5 Star hotel by all standards but one. The internet ran slow in the room. that is the only fault we could find. I would recommend this hotel. The hotel is in an area that has a lot of local restaurants and Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizza hut, Subway subs. All the restaurants close at 10pm. The only place open 24hours is KFC. The subway or metro line is only 7 RMB = $1.00 from airport. Line 2 from Pudong Airport. You change at Guanglan road. You just step out of the car you are in and 7 or 8 steps you get on the other car going in the same direction and get off at East Nanjing road, step out of exit # 4, and turn to street and look up and you see giant Grand Central Hotel sign. Gold in color and enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: I just choose the deluxe room. I did not upgrade and the room was excellent. Anytime I upgrade I ask...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Very good hotel, and great value for money. The rooms are very large comfortable and clean. Bathrooms are very nice, both have a bathtub and a shower. There is free Wi-fi and cable in the rooms, quite fast. The evening service provides chocolate candies and weather forecast cards which were nice details.
Location is great, practically on the Nanjing Road, a pedestrian shopping street, about a 20 min walk to the Bund, 3 min to the metro station. You can find anything around.
The staff is very helpful and speaks adequate English. Breakfast is great with a lot of choices, compared other hotels I stayed in Shanghai before.
I enjoyed our stay there, and really recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Every things is excellent, staff is friendly and ready for help. service is great and location is absolutely fantastic. Breakfast us included variety delisous food. But business senter services is expensive.

• Stayed April 2012