Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
US$245
US$186
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
US$154
US$295
US$240
  • Restaurant
1,062 results
All reviewsnanjing roadexcellent locationpeople's squarestar hotelgrand lobbywalking streetseparate toiletpedestrian mallrooms are hugeminute walkbreakfast buffetpeople's parkmetro stopwonderful hotelexecutive floorpudong airportconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I have just come back from our trip in China. We spent two nights at the Grand Central Hotel: one night an upgraded room (deluxe or suite) and one night in their "normal room". The two experiences were quite different.

Pros on the general hotel:

- Great location
- Very comfortable beds
- Lovely lobby
- Free wifi
- Very kind concierge

The difference between the regular and deluxe rooms:

- The deluxe room was gorgeous, large, a real 5 star feel
- The deluxe room is much larger and the bathroom was just beautiful
- With the deluxe room was included an early check in (9am) and a late check out (3pm)
- With the deluxe room was included a beautiful buffet happy hour with all sorts of drinks and liquors and fabulous nibble foods as well as a buffet breakfast with Chinese and Western style options
- The regular room was like a nice 4 star hotel room in the States

NOTE: For a little extra money, I would highly suggest getting the room upgrade !

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the main street, the noise from the cars can be very loud.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TJG1810
Reviewed 25 September 2012

What a great first class hotel. Only disappointment was the food. Rooms palatial and good value. Amenities in hotel room are excellent. Bath and separate Shower. Recommend room service for breakfast. Its cheaper....and hotter!
You will not be disappointed with the Grand Central. Also...take the fast Maglev train from the airport and then a short metro ride to the station just a few meters from the hotel. Fraction of the price of a cab and the Maglev travelling at 430KM/HR is exhilarating.

Room Tip: The basic rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was originaly booked at central hotel (sister property across the street) but had to change reservations at the last moment and by mistake booked grand central hotel (came for check in at central and was redircted to the grand central property and they took my luggage across the street for me). i did not know what to expect, but as soon as i walked into the room i was glad i made te mistake with booking. they placed me on the non-smoking floor, which did not have even a hint of cigaret smell. the room was big, spottles, nicely decorated with all 5 start accomodations. i could not believe that for such a low rate you can possibly get such a great hotel. the location is excelent and is only a 2 min walk from the nanjing rd train station green line and is one stop away to people square, financial district (lujiazui station green line) and one stop to old town/yuyuan gradens (yuyuan station purple line). you can also easily walk to all those locations and the Bund under 30min. financial district is also hard to reach by foot because it is across the river. the nunjing street itself is shanghai's version of time square and fun to explore. we did not eat at the hotel, but breakfast buffet is 20 usd per person and dinner is 50usd/person. stuff speaks english, but you are not in te US so lower your expectations. they will be able to answer all your basic questions and if they cant understand you just change your wording and repeat but overall communication has not been an issue for us. just would like to add that getting to and from the pudong airport is very easy and cheap. just get on the muglev line at the airport and when it arrives to the city (this train develops the speed of 400km/hr and is an experience of its own. it also has only one stop so you dont have to wonder which stop is yours) get a train to the nunjing rd green line. the whole trip should take less than an hr, about 30 min depending on the train schedule, but overall the subway system is super efficient with trains running every 2min with the cost of 3 yuan or 50 cents. we have stayed at mandarin-oriental in sanya the following week and the room was somewhat nicer, but the room service (turn-down service in the evening) was better in grand central and overall the extra 200usd/ night more was not worth it. so beeing a traveler with relatively high but reasonable standards i would stay there again and would not even bother to look for another hotel, since this place is a real 5-star find for a 3-star price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank nchernyak
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This is a beautiful property. I got a weekend rate here of about $140 US per night so i moved here for the location and i'm so glad i did. I think when traveling in China you have to recognize that even in the high end places you are not going to have English speaking staff that speak like natives. They will have some English but not enough to deal with complex requests. So if you are easily frustrated by that, China will be an exercise in frustration in general. If this hotel had Western service standards, I'd be giving it 6 stars. But I'd also be tipping every man and his dog for every single thing they did for me, unlike here. There are lots of little things wrong here but that's part of China. The coffee is terrible, the WIFI won't work but the wire will so I don't care, they can't for the life of them make an actual piece of toast, there's no Tribune or WSJ offered, they forgot to transfer my luggage after a room change so 6 hours later when i got back my luggage was no where to be found (we found it) and if you request anything that diverts from the norm it always causes a kerfuffle of confusion (i.e. ordering a la carte rather than breakfast buffet). The standard of perfection is just not here yet.

Now, on the really good side...I have found everyone on the staff to be very helpful and mostly very friendly. They checked me in really early without question. This is something I love about hotels here. If there is a room, they don't make you jump through hoops to get in early. And as I write this, my very friendly housekeeper, Tiffany, who introduced herself to me, is setting out my special order vanilla neck pillow. The hotel is regal and stunning from the lobby to the room and I think every room is different. And being the noise-phobic crazy person i am i did request a room change as I so often do to get off the street side of the hotel and the incessant horn honking, to which they obliged willingly. The decor is not standard at all, unique rugs, high end wallpaper, recessed ceilings with chandeliers, a king sized bed with down comforters and a custom pillow menu. It's a firm bed so if you like a cushy top mattress, no, this isn't it. But really comfy, And they offer little niceties like plunger coffee in the room rather than your standard Nescafe pack. And the tub is the size of my pool at home. The room is dead quiet. The location is FANTASTIC if you are a tourist, right near the Bund, the Nanjing road shopping street, etc. I'd race to stay here again.

Room Tip: As usual, my room choice is always made on what's quietest, not location or view. This hotel is set in a square so the rooms on one side face the street and the other side face a courtyard that is rarely occupied. Since the hotel isn't that high (circa 17 stories maybe?), for me even the 15th floor did not get me up high enough to block out the incessant horn honking. Don't get me wrong, it's not that loud. But I really am terrible about noise. I moved into a room on the interior side and it's glorious even by my ridiculous standards.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank BEKTraveler
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We did not stay here but I just thought I would mention that they were helpful and their chef understood about possibly cooking gluten free. We made enquiries to many hotels with either no reply or one not understanding of the problem. In the end we did not stay here as we found one with an aussie cook who was also helpful :) I am posting this as a heads up to any coeliac sufferers who might be going to Shanghai.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family