“I love this place”

Shanghai Botanical Garden
Ranked #94 of 1,333 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I live in Shanghai and frequent this botanical garden - so lucky! :) I've seen some negative reviews on here but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are lucky enough to come during the Cherry Blossom season (don't forget plum and peach blossoms!) ~ then this place is magical. It has a good variety of cherry, plum, and peach trees. It really comes to life in the spring time ~ peonies, tulips, so many roses and other flowers it's mind boggling. There is less blooming in the fall and winter, but the trees and fresh air are still amazing.

There are some conservatories with a great set up of Orchids and trees. The Bonsai and the bamboo gardens can be enjoyed all year round. And of course there are the Osmanthus, Maple, Azalea, and Magnolia gardens! Not to mention various bridges, ponds, and man made caves and pavilions!! There is even a dove house there.

The grounds are quite large so there is a good deal of walking. Especially if you come in at the entrance with the play theme park for kids. Go past that area and you get to the good stuff!

You can even purchase bonsai here! I got a lovely ginkgo bonsai for only 30RMB.

All in all - if you are looking for a peaceful place to enjoy plants, flowers, or perhaps a picnic then this is the place for you. There isn't tons of information on what is there ~ but, if you enjoy just looking at the plants than this place is fantastic.

4  Thank Rene K

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I came here eight years ago and enjoyed the bamboo garden. Then this year I returned, and there is so much more, that my allocated two hours cannot cover it.

The bamboo garden remains massive. there are two must-see conservatories (tropical/four seasons), an orchid garden, a bonsai house - with separate admission, meaning that it was a quiet escape from the dancers and tai qi'ers - all enclosed in a sprawling ground full of many types of plants.

If you come in the spring, it is good to set four hours aside for this fantastic place.

3  Thank SingaporeMatt
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were the on the last week of march.
What an amazing huge garden.
We spent an entire day there.
So much to see such a big variety.

A must see place

2  Thank Uriely
Reviewed 10 April 2014

It is botanical garden, so it won't be at it's best performance if it's not spring. So it is not fair to review the place if you go during other seasons.

I went during Spring (6th April 2014) when it was in full bloom! Everything was great, so scenery, so heavenly. Tulips, roses, sakura you name it, all are colourful, in full bloom. It was like paradise. We enjoyed the garden park so much. My mom and my hubby love it so much.

We bought 'combined ticket' each (means that we can go to certain part that solely for those who pay extra) for 40 Yuan/person. For the said ticket, we were given access to other 4 parks in the place but we ended up using only 1 access (to Tropical green house) because we were tired! So therefore, 3 ticket access to other parks were wasted. The Tropical green house also was very packed with people so we don't really enjoyed it.

I personally think that for a first timer, it is enough to pay about 20 Yuan/person for the common park. Eventhough you don't have access to the other parks, the existing one is already very big and you can barely finish them in 2 hours+. You must take photo as many as you can because you won't see that much types of flowers and colours anywhere else

4  Thank DNurul
Reviewed 8 April 2014

basic entrance fee is 20 RMB, with the optional passes to three inside collections of 20 more. I think you should just pay the basic fee, and pay 7 RMB more for the Bonsai garden. The others are not worth visiting. The park is much larger than I thought it was. While it has many of the characters of a large city botanical garden, its Bonsai (penjing) collections are the most impressive. I have seen many of these collections including those in Yangzhou's Slim West Lake (shouxihu), as well as in many very famous southern gardens. I have to admit this is the most extensive. many of the miniature mountains are very real! Its orchid collection was very mediocre, and is not worth paying extra for, nor is its green house collections. very few plants and the scale is very small. These two are definitely not worth paying extra. The compound itself has a good collection of trees and flowers, and is very pleasant to walk around. Plan for 4 hours, although one can do it in two rushing through.

3  Thank Leewho