“fantastic food and wonderful ambience, world class”
Review of Issimo at Jia Shanghai - CLOSED

Issimo at Jia Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jing'an
Reviewed 28 February 2012

brilant food, its amazing to eat so well in Shanghai and feel like your in a Tuscan restaurant eating the best of Italian. Wow what a feast and chef...

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We frequented Issimo quite regularly as it is close to our work place. It then underwent renovation for the past couple of months and recently re-opened. The entrance of the restaurant has now moved into the main part of the Jia hotel building (as opposed to the side entrance from before). We did not have a reservation on a Friday night but was seated prompted by the hostess who is very friendly. Our orders were quickly taken. The food took a little longer while to come but the bread basket was excellent - warm and baked with cheese. It kept my husband 'happy' for a while. The quality of our food was excellent - we had a minestrone basil pesto soup (piping warm with fresh and seasonal vegetables) and a garlic/ cheese bruschetta which was equally good. The sausage and vegetable pizza is thin-crusted with some really tasty sausages with just the right amount of cheese. The profiterole dessert came in threes with a modern twist - terribly sinful but delicious. Overall we were very satisfied with the food. Service was a little slow as the restaurant seems busy but we were professionally taken care of during the entire dinner which was a rarity in Shanghai. It is not cheap especially where there is a 15% service charge - but nothing is cheap in Shanghai anyway and I would be happy to pay for great food and service. It is definitely one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Shanghai. A small point of suggestion - they should just ban indoor smoking as opposed to putting the smokers in a small corridor passageway.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Not being an Italian, I am not qualified to say how authentic the cooking is. Suffice to say the food is on a par with most good Italian restaurants I've been to. The service is efficient and friendly. The decor is OK and the ambience relaxed and comfortable. I haven't been to that many restaurants in Shanghai yet but I am reasonably sure this restaurant would rank among the top few. When there is a chance, I'll take my friends there. I am sure they would be favorably surprised there is such a nice Italian restaurant in Shanghai.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

The environment is very nice, long kitchen counter where you can see the staff prepare the food and if you like, sit there to eat. Two more sections, relaxing and separate. The music is absolutely amazing and finally not Italian songs. Plus, you can finally do not hear what your neighborhood is saying and opposite. Bravi!

The service is friendly (like in Italy), well trained staff with the capacity to make you feel comfortable without the oppressive and nowadays, out of fashion, Chinese style (we are in an Italian Restaurant). Bravi, twice.

Food, is absolutely good, taste Italian with a selection of typical dishes. Prices ok. Have a look!

Reviewed 2 April 2011

I am not sure how they stay in business. The food was passible but nothing special. The dessert was excellent. The wine list was very mediocre and high priced. However the worst was the arrogant and disinterested service. The music was blasting so loud we could not hear and when we asked for it to be turned down we were offered another table - they made no effort to turn it down saying if they did we would be able to "hear the kitchen" - nothing happened that would ever make me want to go back.