“A personal good value exciting way to see shanghai”
Review of China Cycle Tours

Three-Day Private Shanghai to Beijing Tour by Air
US$670.00*
2-Day Private Tour of Beijing from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently went to shanghai to see my brother. He was busy on one of the days I was there with work so, we looked for something cheap, local, safe and good value to do to make the most of my stay. We found out through a friend about shanghai cycle tours. It cost £40 approx for a half day tour. I was quite apprehensive about it all but no need! I met Ellen at a nearby hotel and I had a 1:1 tour of real Shanghai. It was very interesting and I felt incredibly safe and looked after. I was provided with a helmet and water. She ensured I was confident on the bike and guided me through the busy streets of shanghai. I would thoroughly recommend it as an alternative, green and fun way to explore. It gave me the confidence to spend the afternoon wandering around the places we'd been on my own. Ellen advised me where was best to go and even gave me help in what gifts to buy my children. She was genuinely kind and helpful and wanted me to enjoy her country, thanks again Ellen.

1  Thank MazzaB2013
There are newer reviews for China Cycle Tours

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a fantastic Shanghai highlights tour with our lovely tour guide Ellen. Got to see a lot of Shanghai which you would otherwise be unable to see without a local guide. Sampled some amazing Chinese street food as well.
I would highly recommend doing this trip to ANY traveler in Shanghai. It was an unforgettable experience and a wonderful way to see the culture from a local perspective.

1  Thank Flip V
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We booked a half day 'City Highlights' Tour and throughly enjoyed a very memorable experience. Our two guides were great and we were able to get off at various points of interest and have a wander in and amongst the locals and see where they live and hang out in the parks etc.
It was the perfect way to see a diverse city and believe it or not, cycling in the middle of the world's largest city was not as daunting as I thought it would be!
Highly recommended and would do it again in any other city that China Cycle Tours operates.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went out with China Cycle Tours to Moganshan for two days in May to see more of China outside Shanghai. We met Saturday morning in Shanghai and then drove to Suzhou to pick up more people. That drive took longer than I thought actually, but I guess it gives you a chance to make friends.

Anyways, when we finally get to Moganshan, weather is a bit misty with some light rain. Petty comfortable after warming up. Day 1 was pretty easy, mostly flat around the lakes, until the last hour or so of the ride. The rides through the tunnels were absolutely thrilling, especially the downhill one.

Day 2 was more challenging, and finished with an intense uphill section first to the top of a dam and reservoir. Li (our guide) really sold the challenge, and at the top I was like “Ok where’s the hard part?” I guess that’s the general stopping place for most riders, but there’s another part just past that for the really ambitious (or foolhardy), like me. Wow, really really hard steep uphill ride followed by a cannonball downhill. Totally worth it, but unless you’re in shape you won’t make it. There’s another hiking portion afterwards, too, along a trail on the mountain ridges covered by pre-Revolutionary villas, bamboo forests, tea terraces, etc etc.

Pro-tip: Get the potatoes and ginger tea at the family restaurant afterwards. :)

All in all a lot of fun, and looking forward to doing another run.

Shelly

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked a half day city cycling tour for a group of 6 friends. One month later and we are still traumatized by our experience. We were given a guide who was an intern from rural France, who had only spent one month in Shanghai, and didn't know how to use a smartphone to take photos. She offered very little information, but more importantly was extremely careless leading a group of seven cyclists in Shanghai. She frequently crossed intersections with only seconds left on lights, without even looking to see where the rest of the group was.

Cycling in Shanghai is incredibly stressful. You are amongst cars, buses, motorcycles, other cyclists, and pedestrians, none of which pay attention to you. There was another person from the company that followed us for the first half of the tour, but then disappeared. It is also Chinese practice not to wear helmets while cycling... This was a very dangerous, albeit exciting adventure, but I would not recommend it. We were able to see a lot of the city, but mostly just in passing. If you want to explore the many different parts of the city, this tour is really just a fly by. We used many different tour companies in China, and this was BY FAR the most disappointing.

We immediately took a cab back to the French Concession neighborhood to have several drinks in order to recover.

1  Thank Caroline P
ChinaCycleTours S, Guest Relations Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Caroline,

We really appreciate your feedback and regret that our tour guide Elise didn’t perform up to your expectations. Your comments are taken seriously and we always use them as an opportunity for us to learn, grow, and improve as a company, and as individuals.

Our tours are designed with the customers’ safety, satisfaction, and fun in mind, so that you can enjoy a quality and educational experience without worry or hassles. This is why we emphasize that all our customers wear helmets and stay in the dedicated bike lanes that make Shanghai’s traffic safer than it may seem at first blush. Also, with tours of 5 or more, our mechanic David goes along for part of the ride to ensure that no mechanical mishaps occur. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely still a thrill that you need to use all your senses to navigate, and a beer to congratulate yourself afterward.

It’s true that Elise is a newer arrival to Shanghai, and is still a bit wet behind the ears. She is very enthusiastic and eager though, which is why we put her on the tour. We have spoken with her and have started to conduct additional training to improve her skills, awareness, and knowledge. We are doing the best to ensure the best possible tour for our customers, and are sorry that we disappointed you on this occasion.

We hope that in the future you could ride with China Cycle Tours again, and show you our growth.

Stuart