“nice hotel, very unique”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #14 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Shenzhen, China
“nice hotel, very unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed in Waldorf Astoria in August 2011. It was the most unforgettable stay ever. We were completely fascinated by the dedication and elegance, by the perfect combination of legacy and modernity, and by the service there. Waldorf Astoria is a hotel with style. I said so is because my first visit to W&A was to attend a gala dinner here. It was in someday in June, and it rained heavily that day. The moment I was trying to walked into the hotel from the gate of the old wing, I felt a moment of hesitation, because I was wearing a long evening gown and on really high heels. It was raining so heavily that my long gown got all wet but there was a few marble stairs to go down in front of me. For a girl on high heels in a rainy day, the stairs without railings was just like a steep mountain to go down. The concierge colleagues were welcoming the guests at the door. On one hand I was curious whether they would notice my problem and lent me a hand since there were really a lot of guests there that day, on the other hand, I figured it would be a bit awkward if they really stretched out our hand. Then I would have to lifted my dress, hold my purse and hold their hands at the same time. Out my expectation, a concierge colleagues just lent me the crook of his arm with the most gentleman gesture. All my worries were gone in a minute. This might sound like a tiny little thing, but it really helped me up. So I made up my mind, I would definitely come back again. So here we were. This time we stayed in the new building, and the room was really fancy. The welcoming chocolate was a sweet memory. The grey and white marbled bathroom gave a thorough relaxation after a tiring day and waked you up. The breakfast was probably the best I’ve tasted ever. And I’d love to struggle myself up for it every morning no matter how late I stayed up the night before, haha. Spending a lovely teatime here is more than enjoyable. I believe, have a drink here will be splendid as well. According to a well-noted magazine’s coverage, the hotel is more than willingly to serve you with another snack for free even if you only ordered a glass of water. And, of course, the snack is really something. I always believe that excellent details make a perfect hotel. Waldorf Astoria is a place that never lets you down. P.S.: If you are old-fashioned, or interested in history, I highly recommend you stay in the old wing. It might cost you more, but you find it totally worth it. The hotel itself is a living legacy.

Indigo On the Bund

Every June, I go to Shanghai for business, and Every time I stay in Indigo On the Bund. If you want to a luxurious hotel, Indigo may not be your first choice. But if you want a unique one, you must stay here. Indigo integrates the west and the east, the old shanghai and the modernity. It feels like in a time machine travelling back to the old shanghai in 1930s in the guest room, but the public space and social life here is definitely in the most frontier of today. I enjoy the view from the room, the bathtub facing the Yangzi river, the old-Shanghai decoration, the delicious breakfast (In the Quay, they serve cool dishes, and you can choose from the hot sets, like Japanese style, Shanghai style, American …), the convenience of in-the-state-of-art technology (such as the Bose iPod player in the room, the fast wi-fi connection for free, the iPad at the front desk…), and the art pieces exhibitioning in the lobby. The staffs are really speedy and helpful. But I have to say, the bed here is always hard for me and the pillows are too high so I never really used them. The cloak room’s sense-switching lamp is not that convenient. Sometimes it just all blacked out because the switch didn’t sense me, and it was somehow pretty scary at night. I never felt strong enough to squeeze the shampoo or conditioner out of bottle. Despite of these, Indigo is still a lovely hotel to stay with, no matter you are a traveler from abroad who wants a peak of the old Shanghai, or interested in nightlife and bars, because the bund and the bars in walking distance, and the modern shanghai in right outside your window.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Nice Hotel in the bund, the price around the 250$, good rooms But Just a little small, beautiful views, no very luxury But so confortable

• Stayed July 2012
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Had an awesome stay. Staff were wonderful and the meals were great.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I booked 2 rooms - was travelling with my parents and grandma. Both were city view rooms overlooking old Shanghai (the opposite side of the hotel to the side with views overlooking the Bund (aka Waitan) and Huangpu and Pudong) - it was also quite a bit cheaper.

We arrived at Shanghai Pudong Airport and took the metro to Xiaonanmen (the closest metro stop to the hotel apart from Yuyuan Gardens - both are a similar walking distance). We then caught a cab to the hotel. Initially the cab driver drove straight past the hotel, then when I realised that we had gone right past (we had to turn back) - both my parents and I speak fluent Mandarin so communication wasn't an issue. The cab drive said he'd never heard of the place! Interesting...To be honest, the hotel is pretty hard to miss, it's a huge apartment style building that sits by itself relatively right on the Bund. Just have the address written in Mandarin and give it to your cab driver and you should be fine.

We were ushered in at the entrance by the door-man who offered to take our luggage. There is quite a nice sitting area in the main lobby which is super-modern, uber-cool. There are a few chairs that rock (literally) as well as a little alcove area designed for 2. Anyway check-in was handled by Leo who quickly and smoothly confirmed our reservation and gave us our room cards. The lifts are very nice as well (NB you can only access the floors with guest rooms on them if you have a key card - excellent feature IMO).

When you walk in the room, the lights/aircon/TV all switch on. The toilets also get a flushing (I had a quiet chuckle about that). The decor of the room is simply awesome. The backdrop behind the king size bed is one of old Shanghai with 2 different coloured lanterns directly adjacent, on either side of the bed. There is a small study desk towards the windows as well as a Phillips LCD/Plasma with a Bose stereo system/iPod dock underneath. There is also a minibar as well as complementary coffee/water etc as well as a walk-in-robe area with places to hang your clothes, put your luggage, a safe.

The bathroom is beautifully decorated. The bathroom is separated from the main room via a wooden sliding door and the toilet and shower areas are separated by frosted glass doors. The shower is very comfortable, water temperature/pressure was very good and there is a window (almost floor to ceiling) looking out over old Shanghai. The toilet seat is warm and has some pretty cool features (like cleaning your backside for you :))

In terms of service, the staff here were superb. From Leo during check-in to Karl, to Vivian. All the staff were nothing short of excellent. Not a single request was ignored, and everything was done in a smooth, fast, efficient, friendly manner. Very impressed.

A few things to note though:
- Although this hotel is on the Bund, it is relatively far from the any other hotels, attractions, it's about a 5-10min walk to the 'main' area on the Bund where most of the crowd congregate at night etc (that may be a good or bad thing for you).
- The room whilst not small by any means, feels small, due to the presence of the large king bed. I didn't find this restrictive at all - just something to keep in mind.

We stayed a total of 4 nights, 3 nights initially, then we spent one night in Xitang (a great place to visit btw) and then we came back to Shanghai for one last night. When we got back, there was a little gift waiting for us (a delicious brownie from room service) on our desk saying welcome back! Another night, Vivian also left us some spirits. Very thoughtful! There are also some fresh apples on a desk on each guest floor, very delicious! Also forgot to mention that there is free wifi throughout the hotel which was great.

All in all, a spectacular hotel and one that I'll definitely be going back to if I ever go to Shanghai.
Thanks again Hotel Indigo!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank a1ring23
, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Hi a1ring23,

thanks for your review.........very detailed and very much appreciated.
At Indigo we are delighted when our guests appreciate the little things, as you did.

Leo, Karl and Vivian will all get a "shout out" in our next team meeting for their passion for service.....thanks for mentioning them - they are stars.

The entire team look forward to welcoming you back to your Shanghai jia (home) !

very best from the South Bund

Bruce
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. The lobby and reception area are one of the most stunning I've seen, very eclectic furniture, love the wooden swing chairs and the bent wood sculptural representation of the river behind the front desk. The room was such a beautiful mix of old and new China, each piece of furniture was so unique and I loved the B&W wallpaper scenery behind the bed with old lanterns on either side colour coded just like the rest of the amenities... red for her and blue for his. The bathroom and toilet were separate with a large dressing area in between. The toiletries were organic and smelt divine. Very helpful staff who spoke good English and patiently guided us through our itinerary. Got pick pocketed in Shanghai one night and the staff helped us make calls to my various banks in India to block cards and kept a copy of the FIR just in case.. Have to mention Sarah (was an intern then) who helped us with booking bullet train tickets to Beijing, she was so pleasant and eager to assist... such an amazing person, on her own initiative she printed the weather forecast for the next 5 days in Beijing, wrote the translation in English, gave us a wake up call in the morning and her personal mobile number in case we needed help with translation or other stuff. The business centre was also quite lovely with amazing views of the river. The rooftop restaurant has gorgeous views too. The spectacular decor and Sarah really made this stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syrah1981
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

This is my second and again a very short stay of just the weekend at this property. It is the first Indigo property in Asia and it is a very nice boutique hotel. It is setup with the theme of how the Shanghai riverfront was years ago and everything from the moment you step into the hotel will amaze you. We had a nice room that faces the river but unfortunately all the larger suites dont have the best views. The room decor has a mix of both traditional chinese combined with all the facilities you would want. Perfect for a romantic getaway. Service by the staff on my first visit was significantly better than my second. Somehow I felt they were being overworked and they were not necessarily focusing on you. Apart from that, everything else was blissful during this short stay we had.

Room Tip: You should get a riverview room. It is well worth it. Remember that Suites do not have the best view...