“Special and Comfortable”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #23 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My second stay in 12 months at the Indigo and I noticed fine improvements to an already excellent theme. I can sum up this hotel in 3 words Special and Comfortable - they apply to the hotel and also how the Hotel treat their guests.
Shanghai is a very busy City , I find the Indigo a great haven from what is going on outside.
Good shopping is close by as are tremendous views from most levels , none moreso than 31 floors high on the rooftop bar.
One of the best indoor swiimming pools and gyms around too which helps time poor business tragics like me get some of those inflight meals out of our systems !

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for a view ,the best views are from the dinning rooms , gym and bars - more time spen...
2  Thank Roland V

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Obviously what makes this hotel outstanding in the first place is its location and the views of the Bund and Pudong which are spectacular, but there are other reasons too as written further below.

Indigo's location is of course absolutely prime.at the southern end of the Bund, right at the bank of the Huangpu - and arguably it has the best views of any hotel in Shanghai.

the building is north-south aligned = the rooms facing east (Bund-view, from around 2000+ Rmb) have absolutely spectalur views of Pudong and the Huangpu river, but even if you book a "normal" (City-view 1500+ Rmb) room, chances are good you will get at least a partial view of the river in the rooms facing north and south.

Rooms are well designed, not only esthetically but practically; the layout of the room is excellently done - from the wardrobe to the arrengement of minibar, the TV/soundsystem and the workdesk - generous space and everything at the right place.
Interior deco shows great taste - its not the usual neutral, ever-same standard you will find in most chinese hotels. it really has a feel of "home away from home" to it, very inviting and cozy - something thats rarely found in china.
Also the comfort of the bed and the sleeping-quality (good soundproofing !) is remarkable.

Service-staff is absolutely tops as well: friendly, helpful, quick (check-in & Check-out), reliable (reserved taxi to Pudong airport at 04:30 in the morning)

All in All:
Definitely will be back, as this hotel is exactly my cup of tea.
Highly recommendable and even there are plenty of excellent hotels in Shanghai i tried out before, this one is quite outstanding

3  Thank Christian O
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Despite many positive comments on TripAdvisor which influenced my decision to stay in this hotel, I must say I was very disappoointed and I would not recommend this hotel.

First, interior design of the hotel was very awkward and I felt the room was too busy with so many little "Chinese" themed objects which in my view were placed with very poor taste. Perhaps the rooms were designed by an interior designer from the west based on his interpretation of Chinese culture. (I noted that InterContinental Hotel Group created the Indigo brand of hotels to introduce local, indiginious cultural element in the design of the hotel interior and services.) On top of this, it was so awkward to lay down on the bed to directly face a mini bar placed straight ahead of me. The mini-bar also had a hanging advertisement on the glass door with wording "today's special: energy drink on sale, normally 45 Yuen but it is 38 Yuen today." I never saw a mini bar item on sale and an advertisement for it. The TV was located on the right hand side of the bed so I had to turn my neck to the right from the bed in order to watch the TV. (Why didn't they simply swap the location for TV and mini-bar!)

Second, I felt that the hotel would greatly benefit from better employee training. At the breakfast, I requested ice water but the waiter brought me a glass of hot water. When I requested "ice water," he brought the water in his hand, holding the mouth of the glass with his fingers. I did not drink the water because his finger print was left vivid all over at the edge of the glass.

Worst thing came at the front office when I approached to seek assistance in calling the room of my travelign companion who was staying in the same hotel. An employee named "Derek" refused to call the room for me and said it is the hotel's policy not to distrub the guest in the hotel unless it is for emergencies. I spoke again slowly and more clearly that I just wanted to call my colleague in the room to leave him a message but he insisted he would not. He even said "it is not my duty to call the guest for you." I was astounded by his attitude and poor manner. The staff (Derek) would benefit from some intensive attittude training he would want to continue to work in the hospitality industry.

Overall, my experience of this hotel was rather unpleasant and I will definitely not recommend my colleagues or freidns to stay in this hotel. While I have been a loyal member of IHG's Priority Club, I was disappointed with the brand Indigo and I will most likely avoid to stay in another Indigo Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 143b
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Hello 143b,

thank you for taking some time to feedback your thoughts about Hotel Indigo.

Our hotels design is very unique and eclectic with strong mix of Chinese and western elements as well as old and new. While most guests enjoy this mix we know that this is not to everyone's taste.

I was concerned to read your comments our front desk and your access to another guests details. In fact your colleague had requested for their stay to be "Confidential" in this case and in order to protect our guests privacy we are unable to give out any guest details or connect to the guests room.
Derek was following our hotels and standard hotel procedure and privacy laws. We apologize if this was not communicated to you well.

Very best regards from Hotel Indigo

Bruce

Reviewed 10 July 2012

In 3 years of travelling throughout China, this hotel is hands down the nicest property I have stayed at. Located just steps from the bund with beautiful views of the Huangpu River, Pudong or old Puxi...this property suits tourists or business travelers. The rooms are beyond comfortable, elegantly styled with a mixture of 'Old Shanghai' and modern features. The next time I am back in Shanghai, I will stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sullyryno
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My first time staying at the Indigo and it won't be my last. The attention to detail in the room furnishing and fixtures was amazing. The service was beyond compare. I had a problem with a train ticket for the next day and the manager took me to the train station himself to make sure everything was taken care of. The waitresses in the restaurants were also top rate, friendly, attentive and helpful. The views are fantastic, perfect location. Couldn't ask for more. I've stayed in many great hotels but this may my all time favorite.

Room Tip: River view rooms are worth the extra cost.
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We had 5 memorable nights in a hotel that everyone must see and stay! I highly recommend, you get a room with the the river view and enjoy the sites & sounds of Shanghai.
The Bund is a short walk away and shopping is for all to enjoy. The rooms have its own unique style with all the sevices you would ever need and the Indigo staff will assist you for all your needs. When you make your room reservations, I highly recommend you include buffet breakfasts at the Quay Restaurant. We enjoyed using the reclining chairs for a complete body message(no charge), located in the boutique area. The roof top bar is also a must go and enjoy!! We had stayed at the Westin on the Bund last year, but The Indigo is the "BEST" place to stay for location & value! If you have time go us the swimming pool.

Room Tip: River view!! Evening sites are like Las Vegas, but in China!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sashakeena
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Wonderful position, on the Bund but far enough to allow a view on the old buildings of the Bund and the modern skyscrapers of Pudong. The location allows to reach easily Pudong, Puxi and both airports.
The bar and the restaurant at the 30th floor are now the top destination for tourists, expats and wealthy people.
The service is good, breakfast is satisfying. A small gym area looking to the river and a small pool. Rooms are furbished with modern Chinese style. Free wifi everywhere, opened to everybody.

Room Tip: Rooms on the old city side look on a building site, so it is better to ask for last floors. Good p...
2  Thank ilaria f