“On the bind experience”

Ranked #24 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Paris, France
“On the bind experience”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I spent a week in this hotel and I'll never forget the view from my room. I advise smoker to take a non smoking room to be higher ( I was at the 15 th floor) and go outside on the pathway along the river to delight the place and a cigarette. Smoking rooms are lower so the view is not as good as in higher floors.
I had a room facing the river just in front of the Shanghai tower (still under construction) which will be the second highest tower of the world.
Room is really cosy with all modern facilities needed within a fusion modern / antic Chinese style. The main theme of the hotel is about people life style before and after the renovation of the city. It gives a really nice dimension to the experience as you can see pictures of life scenes a century ago and see the city as it is now. Room has the same style and is very nice, the bathroom is amazing with open widow on the finance city center. You can have a shower with colorful shanghai in sight at night !
Bed is good and helped me a lot to recover the 12 hours flight to get there. The room offers a nice desk with free Internet through LAN or wifi. No need adaptation for plugs.
Breakfast is yummy at the 6th floor with options for Japanese breakfast, Chinese style breakfast or usual continental buffet.
The hotel restaurant offers many different dishes with Chinese, Japanese style. Staff is really dedicated to clients and most speak English.
The location allows you to reach almost every part of the city within an hour. Airport is at 1 hour by cab ( count 200 rmb max to get there)
I'll go back there if I have opportunity to renew and recommend this place for business trips and vacations.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Clement C
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Greetings ClementC

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Indigo in Shanghai. You are certainly right , our location next to the river with its stunning views of both the Bund and Pudong can't be beat but we are thrilled that you enjoyed many of the unexpected aspects of the hotel during your stay with us.

Our eclectic mix of modern and old Shanghai paying homage to the city and the fantastic neighborhood which surround us clearly surprises and delights those who stay with us or simply come in for a great steak in Char or a posh cocktail in Charbar.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the city and Indigo soon- for one we have further enhanced the bath experience for our guests with the over sized tubs with view of the city.... "Rubber Ducks"... is all Ill share at the moment but please reach out to me personally when planning your next trip to Shanghai.

With Warm regards
Christoph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arcadia, CA
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We had the somewhat larger corner room with a king size bed, which we found to be perfect for a couple. Lovely, intelligent design with advanced features and a spectacular view of the river and skyscrapers. The breakfast buffet is huge. Food and other extras can be exorbitant, but if you can get a good deal, it is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Love the location, design and comfort of this boutique hotel. The moment you step in the lobby, you are transported to a very different place, far away from the "typical" modern Shanghai. The deco in my room was 1930's Shanghai - unique from other "me too" new hotels; yet with all the modern day amenities. The bathroom is truly "indigo", well pointed and spacious. Like it so much, will try to stay in a larger room next time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bonotang
Dear Bonotang-

Such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Indigo on the Bund. I do hope that you will reach out to me personally when planning your next visit to Shanghai so that we are sure to find you a larger room from which you can enjoy the fantastic views and friendly passionate service the entire team is so proud to provide.

With warm regards
Christoph
General manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I travel internationally a lot and I have four main priorities when selecting a hotel other than location, which is unique to each person’s travel needs: 1) solid air conditioning that can be controlled from the room, 2) no-smoking rooms that truly are no-smoking rooms (read: no nasty smell in the room), 3) free in-room wi-fi, and 4) access to good Western breakfasts with the breakfast charge included in the room rate. Give me these four things and I’m willing to pay up a bit. Hotel Indigo had each of these qualities, and then some. The first thing you notice is the hotel is incredibly sophisticated, with stunning, funky, eclectic decor. You truly feel like you are in a special place that paid attention to detail, not your average, run of the mill chain hotel. It's just fun to be at Indigo, whether in the lobby, the library, the rooms, etc. Also, the location is absolutely perfect: right on the river and only a 15 minute walk from the heart of the Bund. The food was delicious and the staff friendly, too. It DID take awhile to check in and out, but I've found this to be the case at all Chinese hotels. Another person or two at the front desk would have helped. But this is a small criticism. If you're in Shanghai, look no further...this is the place. I can't wait to return in October!!

Room Tip: high floor facing river
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank scottv1000
Managua
Reviewed 31 August 2013

second time in shanghai, second time in Hotel Indigo on the Bund...

the chef Julie, great soul !! first time i met her in jan she saved me from a terrible hang over.. she runs all the kitchens the place at its best,

new manager.. great person!!! great staff, all of them speak english...

of course my next trip i will be there again.. the rooms are clean and better yet if you have a view on your room... speechless!!

Room Tip: if you can afford it, a room with river view... impressive!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is an amazing design hotel with exceptional attention to details in its interior and furnishing. The appearance from the outside of the hotel is not much to shout about but once inside, you will witness a collection of contemporary Chinese art and sculptures some of which are for sale. Our room had an incredible view of the Bund and the roof top bar is the perfect place to have a pre-dinner drink and watch the city light up at night. Love love love this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Great location and view on the bund, very nice rooms and swimming pool, however I was very disappointed by the assistance of the Staff when we asked them for help given that I was very sick since a few days. First they did not have any basic medicines available and could not indicate us a western pharmacy, secondly when we asked them for a hospital they sent us to one that was supposed to be English speaking while we found ourselves in a local hospital where personnel could only speak mandarin, service was very bad and place extremely dirty(later we got good recommendations of western hospitals by colleagues living in Shanghai, there are plenty!). Moreover while waiting for a taxi to go to the hospital, the personnel did not even make us pass in front of the queue despite I was shivering with very high fever, so we had to wait about 20 minutes standing up outside. This is not the service expected in this kind of situations. Apart from that the hotel is very nice and well located.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear SL444

First allow me to ask if you are now feeling better as I certainly can understand how difficult and uncomfortable it can be to get sick when traveling. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy the hotel overall but must apologize on behalf of my staff for having fallen short of your expectation when you alerted us of your illness.

Unfortunately, we are by law unable to dispense any medicines to guests who might fall ill during their trips through Shanghai but of course we could and should have shown more concern in regard to the hospital which you were directed to and the care you then received.

Having just arrived in Shanghai myself, I have discussed your incident with my team to ensure such a problem does not occur again and that we will physically vet several local hospitals and clinics to ensure that they would meet the required standards of our guests before we send them to one again. Furthermore, we should have taken the time to accompany you to the hospital to ensure that there were no communication problems between yourself and the hospital staff as I aim is to get you well again as soon as possible.

Again I do apologize for our lack of proactive service and can assure you that the team and I will certainly have a much better plan in place should another guest require any kind of medical attention.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Indigo upon your next visit to Shanghai.

Christoph Zbinden