“Average in every way”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #24 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My agent booked me through this hotel in May, I was recommended that everything here is a delight.
In fact it has a decent design, comfortable bed and great service provided by the receptionists in the lobby, the others are falling apart from a high expectation.
Breakfast - my advice don't be shy by ordering the hot dishes to the waiters, otherwise no one would propose to you. cold buffet presents a good selection of western and asian food.
Dinner - I have a friend joined me who is living in the city for more than 8 years, he just said to me there's no value with the dinner food as many of them you can find in the street around 2 euros which has been marked up to almost 10 euros. staffs are much less attentive than the breakfast and afternoon.
Roof top bar - I had a local beer which was good and another glass of sparkling wine from france which was not tasty at all, talked to someone who quickly replaced me another one from Italy, it's much better. I went on the internet found out the french one sells at 3 euro in the supermaket but they sell it more than 10 euro for a glass, it's a shame.
Meet the manager when I checked out the hotel, he encourage me to write a review here, I have to be honest that the hotel facilities and some areas are good enough but still need a huuuuge improvement. it's my first time in shanghai, at least I paid for the views to know the beauty of this city, but my second time should not be here, or the hotel will change what they're doing

Room Tip: book a room you can look at the river
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank fancypaddles
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear fancypaddles,

I was honestly saddened upon reading your recent review on TripAdvisor as we were unable to meet your expectations particularly when it came to price value and our food and beverage operations. Your friend is absolutely correct you can select one of 100 food stalls withing walking distance from the hotel and acquire many of the same local dishes which we serve for a fraction of the price. However, this too come with its own risk and no assurance as to the quality of the product being use which of course we can fully stand behind our. This unfortunately comes at a cost which is reflected in the cost of the meal consumed here - not to mention the fantastic views you can enjoy from either Quay or Char Dining. I cannot argue that hotel are more expensive in many case than the local super market but given that you are clearly a business person you must understand the impact of overheads and the facilities which you are able to enjoy such product bare some impact on the overall sales price. So in fairness, a comparison with any of the other hotels here along the Bund would in fact demonstrate that Hotel indigo is in fact the most reasonable among them.
Again I do apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations and do hope that you would try us again upon your return to Shanghai.

I would very much like to meet you in person and make sure your next visit further demonstrates the value proposition that this hotel stands on.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund

Reviewed 3 June 2014

First time visitor to the hotel. Trendy entrance, friendly receptionists. After I came into my room I commented on the view of the room, very nice overlooking the river. It was about 15 minutes later that Jason (the guy who showed me upstairs) called me in my room and said that he had a surprise. One minute later he came and told me he got me another room with an even better view of the river. That put a big smile on my face. Thanks Jason.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear PetervdH2014,

In the end that's what it all about. Putting a smile on each of our guest's faces and making sure that their time with us here at Hotel Indigo is as enjoyable and comfortable as we can make it.

We sure do hope that we will be able to take care of you again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best hotel i visited , we stayed for 3 nights , the room decor os amazing , look the pictures , you will get exactly what you see . It was quite with friendly and helpful staff . Also its close to the bund , around 15 mins walking . The only thing missing is the variety of the western food in there dining menu . There is 3 river view , make sure to take the best one I Recommend this hotel .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Greetings Abdulla A

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your very positive comments concerning your recent visit to Hotel Indigo. You are right that our three meal restaurant Quay, located on the sixth floor of the hotel offers both a selection of some Western Dishes as well as an array of local Shanghaines specialties. I am not sure if you were also aware of our fantastic steakhouse on the 29th floor called Char it is reported to have not only the best steaks in town but one of the best views as well. I hope I might introduce you to Char upon your return to Shanghai.

With warm regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wonderful hotel in a great location. This is really a gem. I was able to walk everywhere and felt that I was really in the middle of everything. The included breakfast was a "don't miss" even if you are not a morning person. My room was beautifully furnished with a bathroom to die for. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Again, this hotel is in a great neighborhood if you enjoy walking. Also, don't miss an opportunity the take en evening river cruise.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a river view it is nice, but not necessary.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Kitty -

You hit the nail on the head- the hotel at its core is about bringing the guest together with the various aspects of the fabulous neighborhood we live in - in a friendly, informative, insider way that gives you a richer and more exiting experience when with us here in Shanghai.

I noticed you were here in June of last year with your family - so hope this means you are planning a trip back to hotel Indigo and if so please reach out to me personally so I can be sure we once again do all we can to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

What can I say about this hotel? Everything was amazing. The room was stunningly beautiful, full of cool nicknacks and helpful items. We weren't looking at the river but the view was just as great because we could see the YuYuan Gardens.
The staff were just so helpful and really friendly - all of them! We didn't have a single bad experience with a staff member.
The restaurant was great for breakfast lunch and dinner, awesome buffet, great view along the river.
If you are staying in Shanghai, STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! It is the best!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dania R -

Who could ask for a more glowing review thank you for all the praise. Now we need to work on getting you back to Shanghai for another stay with us here at Hotel Indigo. You are absolutely right, every view be it of the Yu Gardens, South River towards the Cool Docks, straight across the river to Pudong, or a view North up the river to capture the historic Bund all can capture the imagination and inspire our guests. Certainly glad to hear you enjoy so many aspects of your stay.

Now be sure to let me know upon your return so that I might meet you personally.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel was a kick and a half--be SURE you get a river view room looking across the river (our room originally wasn't but we upgraded and got them to include breakfast with it).
I can't remember why we chose it from the US but it turned out to be much higher end than anything we could stay in here and of course no where near as expensive so we wound up having an experience (warm toilet seats--couldn't get myself to put them on energy saver) that we would never have here (and in China, confusing). Very good concierge staff in terms of helping us get around.

Room Tip: I'm not sure high is so important, but river-side absolutely is.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 10Rick

Greetings 10Rick-

I must say I got a kick out of reading your comments concerning your recent stay with us here at Hotel Indigo. Because having grown up in the states and visiting New York a few times in my day there is no way one would find such an amazing combination of location, innovative design, spacious rooms, amazing views and amenities and such a friendly staff at 5-10 x our rates.

I sure hope that we will be able to welcome you back to both Shanghai and the hotel indigo soon. And the team is sure glad that you were able to uncover this gem of a property from your desk top in the States.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Everything is as per what the hotel promises on their web page. From check in to check out, to the rooms, dining and bar, a very comfortable experience with great service from the all staff especially Mr Anthony Shi and his front office colleagues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony W
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Anthony W -

Such a pleasure to read that the team were able to make your recent stay here in Shanghai a memorable one. A great service experience starts with the caring and passionate attitude of the staff and none better exemplify this than our front office team lead by our Front Office Manager Anthony Shi and will make certain they receive special recognition for their efforts.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Shanghai soon and look forward to meeting you in person.