“Fabulous- great location, service, food, need I go on?”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #24 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous- great location, service, food, need I go on?”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Really impressive hotel. The rooms are beautiful with every detail thought of, and the best bathroom I've ever had in a hotel - stunning view over shanghai while you enjoy a bath.

Breakfast is expansive, anything you could ever wish for and all wonderfully fresh. There's a great pool with views over the river and city and the rooftop terrace is the perfect place to retire to in the evening.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank calcifer_cat
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Greetings calcifer_cat,

Great to hear from you and hope we can welcome you back to Hotel Indigo Shanghai again in the near future. I noticed you stayed with us last September so am hoping we will be able to meet in person soon and allow me to share with you the many special upgrades we have made to the products and services offered over the last year.

All The Best

Christoph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a great choice in Shanghai - at the end of the Bund, with a great walk along the waterfront. A modern boutique hotel, with excellent, trendy rooms. Great breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. Incredible view from the bar at the top.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RHLondon2
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Greetings RHLondon2-

Thank you so much for sharing you experience with us from last August. We do of course hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to hotel Indigo again sometime this summer.

I certainly look forward to meeting you in person.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel. I would actually go as far to say this was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The interior of our city view room was chic, trendy and clean. The whole hotel oozed cool but not in a pretentious way, it was effortless. The staff fell over themselves to help you and always had a lovely welcoming smile. The breakfast was great, high quality products and lots to choose from. The bar has to be the cherry on top of this hotel, quite literally. Has amazing views of the bund and the cocktails are yummy. Make sure you get there before 11pm when all the lights on the bund go out.
Only snag would have been the pool as although it has a great view it was cold, heated would have been much better. All in all I would recommend this to anyone. Well worth the price tag.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Rosie S
Dear Rosie S -

I cannot tell you how proud it makes our staff when we read reviews such as yours to them aloud at our monthly meeting as they realize the importance of everything they do to make your stay both special and memorable. The team has been working very hard to further improve our breakfast selections and variety of foods offered on the cold buffet to appeal to both Chinese and Western guests as well as make sure each guest know this also comes with the selection of a hot a la carte item served fresh from the kitchen. Yummy - or the work Bradly and his team have done over the last year and our third expansion of this space to ensure that the quality of the drink and service match that of the spectacular view.

We do hope we will be able to welcome you back to hotel Indigo soon and I will have the opportunity to meet you in person.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time that I have stayed in Indigo as per arrangement of my company and hope that it will not be the last time! As I was told it is difficult to get taxis from the airport the company arranged me the limousine service. Usually they can be pretty boring and standard, but here the hotel already showed to be different. I was picked up by a light blue colored Benz, same as their house color, and when seated received an Ipad from the driver. It was the hotel receptionist through face time explaining me about the car facilities (FREE WIFI!) and how long my ride would take. Great start of the journey!

When entering the hotel you can feel the vibe of the staff. All shown to be pretty young and energetic. Room is nice and bright with touches of old Shanghai but without being old-fashioned. Bathroom was great with a view on the river overlooking Pudong when sitting in the bath. Only downside of this is that you can hear the boats hitting their horns during the nighttime; that is if you are a sensitive sleeper.

Breakfast was an amazing experience as well. First impression is that the buffet is pretty small, but here they combine it with a small a la carte selection for your eggs or pancakes. All food looked and tasted very nice and every day I ate more than I normally do. Coffee, Illy, is made fresh as well by the staff, so much better than from an automatic machine.

I heard that the bar was famous for its view and it was. Especially by night time and with clear weather you can oversee the entire Bund and Pudong area. I loved to sit outside but had to sit in as it was starting to rain. Suggest taking the sofa chairs as the high bar chairs were a bit uncomfortable. Also their steakhouse looked very nice and with friendly service. Dishes were marvelous and I especially liked the walnut and caramel foie gras. They are famous for their steaks and now I know why. It was a great tenderloin, cooked to my liking and with a selection of mustards on the side. The spinach side dish tasted a bit sandy but this was quickly vanished by the recommended Pinot Noir to accompany with my steak. Sorry, I do not like desserts so you have to go there to try it yourself.

When doing some work in my room I was unlucky to have my shirt stuck on the freshly new painted desk chair. I had a green paint stain on my white shirt, but when contacting the reception they immediately picked up my shirt and in the afternoon it was cleaned and ironed without any stain visible. Besides the normal apologies I also got a small Shanghai gift from Stefenie the Duty Manager. This is something that this hotel stands out compared to other hotels; very engaging and helpful staff.

Next time when I have to go to Shanghai, either business trip or leisure, I definitely will stay in this hotel. Although not the cheapest in town but for sure worth the money spent.

Room Tip: The river view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Airuikah
Greetings Airuikah-

Such a pleasure to read that you appreciated and enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us here at Hotel Indigo. It is true that we strive to delight our guests with services and facilities which are relevant to today's travelers be they here on business or for leisure. Of course the fantastic location of the hotel next to the Hangpu river and the stunning views it then offers of the city and the famous bund is certainly a powerful starting point. However, as you mentioned it is the genuine care and interest of all of our staff members to ensure that you have a memorable experience with us and we can look forward to your frequent return which drives us all.

I am sorry to have read about the mis hap regarding your shirt and am glad that we were able to remedy the problem quickly but am happy to report your insight has provided our team with a new step by step procedure regarding the refinishing of our furniture to ensure no other piece is place back in service before it has been properly inspected.

We very much do look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai soon and hope we will have the pleasure of meeting your family as well.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Located in the centre of Shanghai Puxi area. Nice interior design, professional and helpful staff. Nice view over the Bund and Huangpu River and Pudong Financial centre.
Unique and modern room design with traditional Chinese furnitures.

Room Tip: Suites have better view on the Bund and the Huangpu River Restaurant Cha - Grill and Bar was very n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chibke
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Greetings Chibke-

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience here at Hotel Indigo. We know that there are so many choices when it comes to accommodation here in Shanghai so it becomes that much more important for the entire team to do everything we can to make our guests feel special and well looked after so when next they are in need of a great hotel experience or a perfect setting for an awesome steak dinner or breath taking views while sipping cocktails - you will think of us.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

General manager
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Shanghai was the second stop on our honeymoon. Upon entering the hotel, we were immediately impressed by the decor of the lobby- there are unique furniture and accessories, as well as interesting artwork. The location is really great. Its right next to the cool docks, which seem to be an up and coming attraction. There is a lot of upgrading and construction going on around the hotel. Onward and upward! We didnt find the construction to be noisy or bothersome.

We went to check in, and my husband mentioned that we were staying with them for part of our honeymoon. The desk staff members, Star and Stefenie, were extraordinarily helpful, and graciously upgraded us to a suite with gorgeous views of the river, and of the buildings on the opposite side of the river. We could see the light shows at night without even leaving the hotel! Many thanks again to Star and Stefenie- you guys really helped make Shanghai and our stay at Indigo a standout part of our honeymoon.

The decor in the suite was very unique. They incorporated chinese lanterns and murals into the design, and its really gorgeous- the room felt very homey. The bed is obscenely comfortable, and the pillows are large and smushy. The blackout curtains are very effective. There are also sheers. The office space features chargers if you need them. The bathroom was large and gorgeous- there is a large bathtub, as well as a modern shower, with a separate stall for the toilet. Lots of counter space and drawers. The open closet area is roomy, and there were plenty of hangers. The air conditioning was very effective.

The amenities in the hotel are very nice- we utilized the pool daily as a cool off from the heat outside. The pool isnt heavily chlorinated, and there are views of the river. The gym has a nice selection of machines that i have in my home gym, although i didnt use any of them :p

While in Shanghai, we used uber in lieu of taxis, and we found it to be speedy and convenient, not to mention super affordable.

I am reviewing the restaurant, char, separately.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank im_a_t0urist
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Greetings im_a_tOurist-

I was so excited to read your comments on TripAdvisor this morning , Sunday, that I rushed into work and went to personally congratulate both Star and Stephanie for making the difference between you both enjoying a good stay and instead having a great and memorable one.

On behalf of the entire hotel Indigo staff allow me to once again congratulate you both on your recent marriage and many wishes for much love and joy to you both.

Perhaps we will have the pleasure of seeing you both again - perhaps in celebration of one of your future anniversaries

All the best,

General Manager .
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night. Easy to get to from the airport. I went Maglev and then Taxi (About 40yuan), as had too many bags to mess around on the metro.

Welcome was very warm, and the quality of English spoken by reception staff was excellent. Escorted to the room, with a great view of the Bund, and the more modern part of Shanghai (Across the river). Was a 10 minute walk to the old part of the Bund.

Room was fabulous. Specious, well decorated, extremely clean. Fab bathroom.

Later went up to bar (Char Bar) on 30th floor. Was very good, except service was very orientated towards the outside terrace with amazing views of the Bund. We were inside, so found we had to keep getting up and asking for service... but then very quick. Prices in the bar were typical western style pricing so, I suspect, expensive for Shanghai.

Bed was very comfortable. Slept like a log.

Good selection of English speaking TV channels.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SiobhanEllis
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Greetings SiobhanEllis-

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and were able explore the Bund and the surrounding area.

I will certainly speak with the Charbar team as it is critical that all our guests receive the same high level of service regardless of where you sit. Certainly on a beautiful night many of our guests prefer the outside terrace but that in no way should impact the level of attention received by those guests who elect to stay inside.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Indigo upon your return trip to Shanghai