“Great alternative to a standard business hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #16 of 4,941 Hotels in Shanghai
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great alternative to a standard business hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Stayed one night there with a friend when I was having a long weekend in Shanghai before hectic Chinese New Year. Didn't know it was a new boutique hotel opened in December before I arrived, but was quite impressed by its inner decor.

Our room had an amazing view of the river and you could tell they added lots of details to the decor. Loved the bathroom design. Feels like a turkish bathroom! Only thing is that you feel you should also get a steam bath after a shower....

There is also a small indoor swimming pool together with a small but top-standard gym. It looks quite sleek. I mean, maybe a bit too sleek to some people.

The most memorable highlight about th hotel though is its breakfast. Plus standard continental breakfast, you get to choose from three different styles of hot meals, which are American, Japanese and Shanghainese. I chose Shanghainese, but I have to say the congee was quite average... However the effort is really commendable.

All in all. it is a great alternative to a generic business hotel. Only wish it could be cheaper..

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Taipei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Front desk service is excellent, hardware of the room is good but the plug is not work should have some design issue due to this hotel only open 1 month.
I extra pay for one breakfast but I just feel waste my moneny, it is terrible. I will recommend, the hardware wise, I like it but need a lot of improvement for sofeware.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bruce_au, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Dear TraceyTaipei,

Thank you for your feedback.

You will be pleased to know that Chef Julie has added some delicious new items to our breakfast. Try the bread & butter pudding, fresh home style fritatta or the Shanghai style noodles next time you visit. These are all on the kitchen table selection, For many more options check the Quay menu, The Shanghai breakfast is a great way to taste the real flavors of the city.

Neighborhood regards,

Bruce Ryde
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

Having a wonderful & pleasant stay. The night view of the Bund is still vivid in our mind. Thanks for the hospitality they showed me and my husband, and we will surely choose Hotel Indigo when we are next in Shanghai!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

Entering the guestroom, like a small child in a wonderland, I was expecting to find any astonishment! Special cakes in elegant paper-made small box, elaborate Hotel Indigo introduction and postcards in a very special iron box, all these embody the inspiration and enthusiasm of Hotel Indigo to guests, just absolutely expressing “Great Hotel, Guests Love”!

It was amazing that Ken Zhou, FOM called me when I was in the office. He provided me with a guestroom with a better view after my check-in! Without love to guests, he may not find my mobile number! From this point, I can say his carefulness and attentiveness to details of guest’s staying at Hotel Indigo deliver a kind of touch! He thinks of what a guest might want! A surprise is being delivered silently! Maybe we can name it a type of real hotel service which touches the softest part in heart! Through such a hotel experience, we are moved to tell friends or guests who are still wondering which hotel to be their next destination. Undoubtedly, I will say Hotel Indigo will be the one you are looking for! Once you choose it, you will never regret and never forget! It’s Indigo, it’s your life! City makes better life!

The shower area is dedicated with ceramic tile in blue-white porcelain, a Chinese traditional treasure while combining with special Hotel Indigo design and local neighboring culture, a true selling point and attractive one!

I even find a book “Pride and Prejudice” on the book shelf, which is the one we students analyzed during my postgraduate study for English literature! As a matter of fact, staffs at Hotel Indigo pay attention to every detail, especially, right selection for the best service!

Friendly attentiveness to guests makes us feel at home!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

From the minute I walked in the door I was made to feel welcome! Great boutique hotel design in keeping with the neighborhood and not overdone. Our room was a generous size with views of the Shanghai's Bund and Yu Garden. For me the bed and outside noise factors important. Indigo get both right! It's central location does not come with the noise of a big city and the bed delivers a good nights sleep. I enjoyed the breakfast service which was comprised of western classics I am used to eating around Sydney's cafe scene. A nice treat when traveling in China. The staff have grasped the western service elements well although it is still a little rehearsed. I am certain this will feel more natural in the coming months. This is the first Indigo I have stayed in and has inspired me to check out some of the others in my travels. I checked Wikipedia and see Indigo have quite a few around the world. Shanghai is still showing under construction but as far as I can tell from my stay, they are open and in business. Recommended!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

Loved my brief one night stay in this hotel especially taking a bath overlooking Pudong/The bund.

Breakfast was great. Staff were friendly at every point.

Only slight disappointment was the bar and restaurant at the top of the hotel were closed but I guess this will just take time to get up and running.

Great stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BruceRyde_au, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 8 January 2011
Hi "normbro"

Thank you for you great comments on trip advisor - we are still very new ( one month this week!) and your early support means much to us.

We are sorry that our rooftop retaurant is not open yet - Just to let you know CHAR bar and grill will open 18 March with 3 levels of contemporary dining and bar ( with outdoor terrace looking over Shanghai)

I hope we see you agin in Shanghai

Neighborhood regards

Hotel i
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

Great new hotel on the south bund with some great views of both the ultra-modern Lujiazui area as well as the historical bund. Room design and layout is refreshing and is both modern as well as reflective of local culture. Char restaurant and bar offers stunning views and should become a hot local hangout if they can get the service right. My stay was short and as such I can not comment too much on service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business